Professions

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Professions

Postby kfv7 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:58 am

Maybe this idea have been posted in other forums, I hope not so everything that i will write from here will be in vain. :(

The professions will become available once you reach a certain level of one or more proficiences. Maybe it can be a skill that appears in a golden colour or something that difference it from normal skills. Only one profession can be learned per character.

Professions will make the need of being in a settlement even bigger than now. But its something logical, one lone person cant expect to achieve the same things than a group.

A character with a profession will have bigger bonus when grinding purity in the things that are related to it. For example, a cooker will have higher bonus of purity when he cooks. Characters without a profession will have a purity limit, and the ones with one will have a purity limit for things that are out of his area of expertise.

Maybe when you get a profession you will get some skills only available to the profession you choose. For example, if you are a lumberman you could get a skill that increases the speed of chopping trees; and another one that gives you thechange to obtain certain inspirationals that cant be obtained by other way.

The ones that I have thinked of are the next:

Miner: Will mine faster and will be the only one that can get different ores when doing it.
Lumberman: Will chop trees faster and will be the only one able to distinct some kinds of trees and get their special wood.
Cooker: Will have almost no chances of getting his food burned when cooking and will have access to some unique recipes.

Well, I hope you like my idea and I want to apollogize for my english.
kfv7

Re: Professions

Postby dullahx » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:07 am

basically, you want to introduce themepark class system elements in a sandbox game.
I think it wouldn't be smart ;(
dullahx

Postby Dalorian » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:22 am

I Like the Idea +1

I think that Cookers could perhaps gain bonuses to the food they cook, and the higher their profession levels, the better the stats of any food they cook. This could also be applied to mining, the higher the miners skill, the better the chance of chipping higher quality ore form the same mine. Also the miner could have slight increase in prospecting finds. A minder with a rod with 10% purity and good profession skills could find mines that other people with the same exact rod couldn't...
Dalorian

Postby kfv7 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:28 am

dullahx wrote:basically, you want to introduce themepark class system elements in a sandbox game.
I think it wouldn't be smart ;(

Despite that Salem being a sandbox game, it is a mmorpg too. Speciallization its good in my point of view, because people will have something that difference thems from the rest. And will promote player interaction, by settlementes needing people with some profession in particular.
kfv7

Postby Uberness » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:00 am

as a sandbox game you're allowed to do what you want! remember when you were a kid playing in a sandbox, did you have to build certain things or could you build whatever you wanted? if you're unable to do some things because you're not a certain profession that kills the entire meaning of sandbox.

also no its not an mmorpg its an mmo, you have no predefined roles to play! there are tons of mmorpgs out there that have predefined roles and force a character to develop along a certain line, but thats the reason I(and many others) love sandbox games, you can do what you want when you want how you want, and have fun doing it...if that changes it changes the entire core of the game and makes it something I wouldn't want to play.
Uberness

Postby Sevenless » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:01 am

Already been suggested by me actually :)

One key for Salem: The game is designed with multi use characters. Nothing a character does should limit it, or prevent it from getting benefits, at doing something else. It's not difficult to retool this in such a way that the benefits gained towards a profession are incremental instead of all or none. Just by the sheer fact that someone specializing will spend more time at a given task will net them more benefits in the long run, so you get your specialization while keeping with one of the apparent design mechanics in Salem.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:52 am

Look at what we have already: fishing bonuses, farming bonuses, and one other (can't recall it off the top of my head). Characters are already encouraged to specialize somewhat just to maximize out a particular bonus. More of these specialization bonuses should be coming down the pipe at some point (at least jorb alluded to this at one time).
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby kfv7 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:34 pm

Professions maybe can help with the alts issue too. You can maybe make an alt, but to make an alt for every profession will take forever.
kfv7

Postby milonti » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:42 pm

It could be a good idea, but like the others above I dont like the idea of limiting a character (which is funny becasue I'll champion character specailization in other places). There might be a way to do what Sevenless said, and make it incremental, sorta like how we have the skill laboring. Maybe make similar skills for mining, fishing, lumbering, etc?

We did have the belief system in HnH which kinda achieved this. If you were going to do mining/smithing, you'd go industry. Or you'd go nature if you were going to go tree planting and farming. Now I'm not saying we should put back beliefs (oh dear god dont do that) but maybe some sort of similar, reversible system would be good. Like profession skills you can buy multiple times, but you can only buy like one per week. I dunno.
milonti

Postby Potjeh » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:41 pm

Making activities mutually exclusive only encourages alts.
Potjeh

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations