Burried Treasure!

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Burried Treasure!

Postby Dalorian » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:39 pm

Hello all,

I would like to suggest that it be made possible for players to bury treasure chests. People get raided all the time, and if this happens, its real hard to keep your stuff safe. So why not allow us the option of Burying our valued possessions underground. Perhaps when you bury a chest, you will receive a small treasure map. People could make games of this, perhaps spending years trying to figure out where a certain treasure map they stole,found,won, or was given begins so they can track where the treasure is.

What do you guys think?

Edit: It was sugjested in IRC by Milonti, that you could build over top of burried treasure. I like this adition also :-)

-Its Been suggested that the Chests experience some sort of decay. 30 - 60day decay time would be fair. But I think once decay reaches the last couple weeks or days before the chest disappears, there should be a random chance within a fair distance that a treasure map could be found in a log, or on the ground, or while your digging maybe. So anyone in the general area could get a chance to go searching for the treasure if it has been forgotten or lost.

-Questions about Metal chests and Wooden chests have been brought up, and I think that both could be buried, but Metal chests would simply decay slower.

Dalorian wrote:
milonti wrote:
jorb wrote:Yeah, that'd be fun, but don't hold your breath. We don't have any sort of good way of storing that kind of data at the moment I'm afraid.

Can't it get stored the same way as trees and old stumps?

I think if you can shove a Chest either metal or Wood into a stummp, You Deserve to be able to put it there LOL :lol:

EDIT: Lock boxes or smaller chest Designs????

Thanks Again :mrgreen:
Dalorian
Last edited by Dalorian on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
Dalorian

Re: Burried Treasure!

Postby L33LEE1 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:41 pm

+1 Amazing suggestion.
L33LEE1

Postby Superiodity » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:43 pm

Good idea but it would lead to players just burying all their goods a bit away from their claim and hoarding everything and I don't think devs want people to be able to keep things that safe.
Maybe the chance to find a treasure map that you can then follow to hidden treasure which spawns once you read the map.
Superiodity

Postby milonti » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:46 pm

Superiodity wrote:Good idea but it would lead to players just burying all their goods a bit away from their claim and hoarding everything and I don't think devs want people to be able to keep things that safe.
Maybe the chance to find a treasure map that you can then follow to hidden treasure which spawns once you read the map.

I think the OP means anyone can dig it up, not that you need the map. The map just helps provide the location of where to dig.

On topic: This could be pretty cool. Especially if you can build over the buried treasure (assuming flat ground). Keep a spare witch book under the windmill ¦]
milonti

Postby Superiodity » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:53 pm

milonti wrote:
Superiodity wrote:Good idea but it would lead to players just burying all their goods a bit away from their claim and hoarding everything and I don't think devs want people to be able to keep things that safe.

I think the OP means anyone can dig it up, not that you need the map. The map just helps provide the location of where to dig.

On topic: This could be pretty cool. Especially if you can build over the buried treasure (assuming flat ground). Keep a spare witch book under the windmill ¦]

I know, but unless they make it hugely obvious like burying the stuff under an X made of rocks it would be way too easy to bury things and keep them safe from everyone without other people ever knowing it's there, but I guess they would need to dig it back up when they want something out of the storage which would be a big inconvenience.
Superiodity

Postby Glennfinnan » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:58 pm

I'm assuming you don't take into consideration that for a good while [few weeks] after burying a treasure/chest the land will be easy to spot as dug and I'd check every place that would look as such.
Huge, dug area without any buildings on top would look even more suspicious.

Also, some other form of this has been suggested in the old forums.
Last edited by Glennfinnan on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glennfinnan

Postby TotalyMoo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:59 pm

Superiodity wrote:
milonti wrote:

I know, but unless they make it hugely obvious like burying the stuff under an X made of rocks it would be way too easy to bury things and keep them safe from everyone without other people ever knowing it's there, but I guess they would need to dig it back up when they want something out of the storage which would be a big inconvenience.

Inconvenience being the saving word here.

People wouldn't want to store normal things like this, but larger sums of cash, rare metal rods etc. could be hidden away. I doubt anyone would dig down their inspirationals for safety.

+1 on this idea!
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby JeffGV » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:16 pm

Good idea (especially since i already suggested it in a thread in the old forums, albeit using smaller containers).
JeffGV

Postby dullahx » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:25 pm

this is a neat idea !
dullahx

Postby Uberness » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:23 pm

how about some counter measures to prevent the hoarding this would cause:

dryrot - a chance the items in a wood container could be lost if not dug up in a certain amount of time? shouldn't be too short or theres no reason to bury stuff at all, but shouldn't be too long or theres no point in having the idea.

erosion - when you bury the item after a while it begins to show signs of something being buried there? if dryrot is added also this should be about 3/4 of the time that takes...so if dryrot happens in 60 days erosion would happen in 45, so those last 15 days gives people in the area a chance to find the item before it goes poof.

numbers given are jsut for example, I don't really have a clue what actual numbers on those should be...
Uberness

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations