a Whole bunch of ideas - here we go

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

a Whole bunch of ideas - here we go

Postby pedrostr » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:07 pm

Ok so i can have plenty OH I MEAN PLENTY of ideas. So i will try to keep them gathered in one post.

The structure i will create is:
a) Subject of the idea
b) Examples of what it can offer
c) Skills to be developed
d) New Structures

Idea 1: Pet Dog
a) - Having a friendly dog around us:
b) - snifing for hidden truffles
- creating truffles hidden underground which we can't see, but a dog could sniff.
- having new recipes to use with truffles
- Developing the dog (or our character) so he can get more easily truffles, or better ones
- having the dog just wandering around my settlement, keeping snakes away
- giving orders to the dog (1-follow us 2- attack snake 3- bark to foreigners or not)
- having to feed the dog or he won't move (he doesn't die)
c) - Dog Care (to be able to buy/own a dog)
- Dog Teaching (to have expanded options for the dog, like the "attack snake" and "bark to visitors")
- Truffle snifing (for higher chances of the dog finding truffles)
- New Truffle Recipes (for Baking maybe?)
d) - Dog Shelter
-

Idea 2: Truffles
a) - Being able to find Truffles
b) - Characters can't find truffles because their hidden undergroud, only dogs/pigs can
- New Recipes (baking maybe?)
- There are hundreds of different Truffles species. There could be a few from the common to the more rare laying around the map in different seasons
- Truffles CAN'T BE planted
c) - Truffle snifing (without it, your dog/pig can't locate the truffles)
- Truffle cooking (to cook new recipes with truffles, or involve this recipes with other skills)

Idea 3: Cheese making
a) - Making Cheese
b) - Making 1 basic kind of CHEESE, but from which you can do other kinds of cheese when adding different products
- Cheese is made out of: Milk (which can come from: Cows, Buffalo, Goats, Sheep)
- You then can add different ingredients to produce a different variety of cheese (Black Peppers, Garlic, Chives, Cranberries, Herbs, Lemon Juice, Vinegar)
- Cheese would be shown in the rounded shape that everyone knows, and could be eaten in two serves
- when eaten once, it would show half the cheese in your inventory
- The process involves 3 steps: Curdling + Curd processing + Ripening
c) - Cheese Making (to create basic solid cheese)
- Advanced "Cheeser" (for those who want to create different cheese kinds, with added herbs and different ingredients)
d) - Curdling means acidifying the cheese. For this you can add vinegar for example. I suggest building a recipent to add the milk+vinegar (and mixing right after)
- Curd processing means cutting the cheese in blocks so water drains. I suggest building some kind of table with holes to represent this process, where cheese would be displayed on it
- Ripening is where the cheese ages and when the cheese gains flavour. I suggest building a rest house or furniture where the cheese is kept for a few weeks or month (cheese should rest for long periods of time)

Side Note: cheese is a complex and demanding product. It SHOULD age for long periods of time (i suggest 1 month?). There are just so many kinds of cheese one can make, it would be awesome if we could have a whole bunch of different products out of this

Idea 4: Animal Breeding
a) - Being able to keep animals in our settlement
b) - Milking a Cow, Buffalo, Goat or Sheep
- Having to feed with Hay the animals so they give milk (no Hay - no milk)
- Animals will give meat if you kill/butcher them
c) - Animal breeding (to be able to keep animals)
d) - Some kind of animal shelter

Idea 5: Well building
a) - Building a Well - which settlement doens't have a source of water?
b) - Taking water from the well to give to animals
- Taking water from the well to put out a fire?
- having to find a vein of water underground, so to find a source of water
- being able to poison a vein of water or a well directly (maybe with a dead animal)
c) - Water Prospecting (to find a vein of water)
- Water Exploration (to build a well and take water out of it)
d) - Well

Idea 6: Fires
a) - Having Fires in Salem
b) - Where there is a small fire, there can be BIG fires!
- Fires would carbonize trees, animals and products in the ground, but would not get easily in Settlements (?)
- Fires could be put out with Water
- After a fire, there is a booming of new seeds and plants on the burned ground
c) - Fire Havoc (to be allowed to start a fire)
- Controlled Fire (to start a fire in a controlled area on the map without if running uncontrolled)

Idea 7: Tree Planting
a) - Being able to plant Trees
b) - Planting trees? :)
c) - Tree Planting

Idea 8: Boats
a) - Building small rafts for transportation of Fishing
b) - Rafts could take us into deep water where larger fishes exist (only in those deep waters we could find Tuna or Cod Fish?)
c) - Reading the Stars (to be able to navigate in the deep waters)
d) - Harbour (from where a raft would depart and be built)

Idea 9: Horse Racing
a) - Horse Racing
- Racing with Horses
- Having different breeds of Horses, with different characteristics (faster or with better acceleration)
- Have lineage of Horses, with different stallions (stallion is genetically very important)
c) - Horse Riding (to be able to Ride a Horse)
- Horse Breeding (to be able to keep Horses and raise them)
- Horse Racing (to be able to race with a horse and push him to win)
d) - Horse Shelter (to keep the horses)
- Racing perimeter (where the races would be run)
pedrostr

Re: a Whole bunch of ideas - here we go

Postby mrnuggets » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:20 pm

All of them pretty nice ideas pedrostr! :) They all seem to be good suggestions for "added" stuff.

As long as they don't impact the scope, gameplay and balance of the game too much we just might see some of those one ideas come to life with time!

Surely some of those are already in the devs minds. ;)
mrnuggets

Postby milonti » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:39 pm

For the love of god read the posting guidelines. Do not post a ***** of ideas all in one thread. Separate them out into different threads so they can be discussed separately. People wont want to simultaneously provide critique for many different ideas at once. Its much more taxing to keep things straight.

That aside, at least 3 of your ideas are things that already have been discussed. Please do look through the forum a bit or ask around in IRC for something that seems to be common sense (boats, tree planting, well building). Boats and tree planting are already planned to be added, thats been said by the devs.

EDIT: Oh and horse riding. Thats also already being planned by the devs. They were live testing it a month or so ago, spawned a few in Boston for people to test. But that was before wipe.
milonti

Postby pedrostr » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:16 pm

mrnuggets wrote:All of them pretty nice ideas pedrostr! :) They all seem to be good suggestions for "added" stuff.

As long as they don't impact the scope, gameplay and balance of the game too much we just might see some of those one ideas come to life with time!

Surely some of those are already in the devs minds. ;)

I always wanted to play an online Crafting with Salem´s quality, and now maybe i found it.

I just don't agree with the permadeath/warmongering side of it AT ALL, but i'm not the programmer of the game so ..

Ok i will split my ideas in different topics, but just the original ones.
pedrostr

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:39 pm

pedrostr wrote:I just don't agree with the permadeath/warmongering side of it AT ALL, but i'm not the programmer of the game so ..

If you don't like this aspect of it, you will likely get killed out of nowhere at some point. It may be in a week, it may be a year. It just depends on how careful you are.

As far as guidelines go... no, there aren't any (as of yet), but this is definitely on the list. If you want your ideas to be seriously considered, give each one its own thread so they can be discussed. Also a part of the as of yet unposted guidelines, do some research and see if anyone else has posted the same thing.

A quick rundown

1: suggested before (not sure if anyone else has posted on these forums, though)

3: reasonable that this could be added in after we get cows

4: again, when we get livestock

5: probably already on the "to do" list and has been suggested multiple times

6: we have big fires--coal clamps. otherwise... been suggested to the devs before (in Haven) probably a big no on it

7: on the "to do" list

8: on the "to do" list

9: probably will be player organized if it ever exists. This is a sandbox game.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:50 pm

Batch suggestions like this are pretty difficult for the Devs to read. People can't comment on them effectively and... yeah junk like that.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby pedrostr » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:25 pm

Sevenless wrote:Batch suggestions like this are pretty difficult for the Devs to read. People can't comment on them effectively and... yeah junk like that.

I already separated all "original" ideas. You can close this post please? :)
pedrostr

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:26 pm

pedrostr wrote:I already separated all "original" ideas. You can close this post please? :)

Will do.

Closed at request. Original post broken out into separate threads.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Return to Ideas & Innovations