Weapons overhaul and some little changes to metal

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Weapons overhaul and some little changes to metal

Postby JeffGV » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:31 pm

Reposted from the paradox salem forum; i had posted this, like, two days before the wipe...so it hasn't got any attention, probably.

I'll begin with metals. Just introduce a subunit of bars. Be it nuggets or a weight system of sort like for flour and such things.

Then let's talk about weapons. Imho, bare-handed combat should be something like a last resort. You should be able to disarm other players with some advanced skill, though (it would involve quite some time to do that, though, so it is easily interrupted and probably the user should get inbalanced); anyway, it would be useful when there's a disparity in numbers (so giving a definite advantage in having more people).
PvE wise, going bare-handed should be useful just for rabbits and crickets. I mean, who would combat venomous snakes, beavers, deers and bears bare-handed?

Instead, i think some sort of knife or dagger should be implemented. It would have lesser range and power than a sabre and shouldn't require fencing. Maybe some "Stab" attack could be implemented. Anyway, you shouldn't be able to "parry" with that, even having the skill. Basically, it would be something between being bare-handed and a having a sabre.

Anyway, there should be some other changes. Basically, giving weapons some sort of durability. Some moves could also be implemented to specifically damage weapons and some advanced skills may decrease the durability loss when fighting. When a weapon's durability is depleted, the weapon get replaced by a "broken weapon" (in rare cases, a "broken sword" inspirational that also works as a broken weapon can be obtained instead) and some "metal pieces" are dropped to the floor.
Depending on the type of weapons, the "broken weapon" and "metal pieces" can be melted in a furnace (or something similiar) to get back at least a part of the metal.

Obviously, weapons can be crafted. According to the proficiences of the blacksmith (sparks and embers would be used, i assume?) the durability will be better, so you get a more reliable weapon. And there may be some additional processes to further increase durability (weapon tempering?). Those processes should be used when a weapon is still hot, so i assume newly crafted weapons should have a short span of time (1 hour, maybe) before they're actually usable (and the tempering process must be used during that span of time).

Anyway, those changes would serve some useful purposes. They would give an advantage when fighting fewer numbers of foes, there would be a metal/iron sink, and it would discourage fighting when there isn't some sort of profit (so killing newbies would actually make lose money to the killer due to durability loss and having to get new weapons in the long run).

Well, there may be something similiar with clothes, but we'll talk about that another time, i suppose.
I'm certain some raiders won't like these suggestions, but...here we go.

Edit: oh, right, i did forget to mention that you should be able to melt even weapons that aren't broken yet. Anyway, you would still get just a part of the metal needed to forge that weapon (the whole system would be useless otherwise).

Other suggestions: a simple club carved from a woodblock.
JeffGV

Return to Ideas & Innovations