plz block the maping tools

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: plz block the maping tools

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:34 am

mrnuggets wrote: I just thought, since the experience is so much different if you play vanilla vs custom clients, that they would be looking at how people play and what they like within the clients so they'd implement it.
It is so much easier to play with custom clients. It feels like a different game with the vanilla client, harder but immersive and satisfying.

Maybe I'm weird then... (I know I am, but that's beside the point :P ) The only thing I find about the custom clients better is the increased number of hotkey slots and the minimap radar. Even the number of hotkey slots isn't that much of an improvement as you do have extra bars you can cycle through (10 I believe). I use one for combat and the others for everything else (or just memorize the hotkey sequences for the "Starcraft" menu).
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby mrnuggets » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:14 am

MagicManICT wrote:Maybe I'm weird then... (I know I am, but that's beside the point :P ) The only thing I find about the custom clients better is the increased number of hotkey slots and the minimap radar. Even the number of hotkey slots isn't that much of an improvement as you do have extra bars you can cycle through (10 I believe). I use one for combat and the others for everything else (or just memorize the hotkey sequences for the "Starcraft" menu).

Everyone's weird in his own ways, that's the salt of life! ;)

But hotkeys are not the only advantages. Being able to use map icons to see and even pick stuff up that you would otherwise not even notice when using the vanilla client, where you have to see the actual 3d models of shrooms, indian feathers, chestnuts etc..., makes it a LOT easier.
Plus the popups, that tell you how much of each proficiency something will get you without having to ctrl+t.
Plus the levelling tools that tell you in an eyeblink if land is level or not.

I may be overlooking some other things atm, but for me, map icons make foraging so much easier/less time consuming. You just instantly now all that is around you.
So sometimes I play with the vanilla client, because it is more immersive and when I find the odd seashell, it is all the more satisfying! :) But playing with Ender's or Apxeolog's clients does give one an advantage in that regard.
Maybe it's also possible with the vanilla client and I haven't noticed it?
mrnuggets

Postby LeftyRighty » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:27 am

of course you could just get you're home tile uploaded to the world map before you build anything, or do any dig scarring...

since it ignores the duplicates once a tile is there no one will know it's you're home.

oh and... you're helping the community by mapping the world.
Yes, I'm new; no, I didn't play Haven; but yes, I do get it :p
LeftyRighty

Previous

Return to Ideas & Innovations