plz block the maping tools

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: plz block the maping tools

Postby Tonkyhonk » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:27 am

APXEOLOG wrote:cannot see any problem in global map. big village will be found even without it and noone use global map to find small villages because there are thousands of them.

lol be a bit more humble and say "hundreds" instead of "thousands" ;)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby APXEOLOG » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:32 am

Tonkyhonk wrote:lol be a bit more humble and say "hundreds" instead of "thousands" ;)

I count every place with terraformed ground (mines, noob places with few leantos etc) too, because the only way to find village on a map is terafformed ground.
You can call me 'arh'. No needs to distort my nickname :)
APXEOLOG

Postby Tonkyhonk » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:41 am

APXEOLOG wrote:
Tonkyhonk wrote:lol be a bit more humble and say "hundreds" instead of "thousands" ;)

I count every place with terraformed ground (mines, noob places with few leantos etc) too, because the only way to find village on a map is terafformed ground.

to find small villages for... raiding? xD youre surely building up your reputation!
(but still "hundreds" of villages, maybe "thousands" of settlements or camps, though.)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby APXEOLOG » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:50 am

Tonkyhonk wrote:to find small villages for... raiding? xD youre surely building up your reputation!
(but still "hundreds" of villages, maybe "thousands" of settlements or camps, though.)

We speak about raiding aren't we? I didn't read entire first post, just some sentences and i thought author is afraid that he will be raided because he is on map.

As i said finding villages on global map is useless for raiding because you cannot see how many loot/defence it has got.

And yes all my reputation is months of hard work of raiding and killing people / town in HnH :) I'm not interested in raiding currently, because Salem has no siege system and that makes me sad.
APXEOLOG

Postby Droj » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:27 am

Whilst I kinda agree on some part, without the necessary feature of player-made maps and a cartography skill, I'm afraid that map making tools will stay as they are useful.
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Postby EnderWiggin » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:23 pm

While server sends any map data to client (and it can't stop sending it, you need to see where you walking, right?) it is impossible to block mapping tools. Even in such mythic scenario when there's only one default client and you can't mod it there is a ways to get map data. I saw somewhere a program that acted like proxy to haven client and get map data that way. You can't block it as long as client runs on player-controlled machine.
EnderWiggin

Postby Steve » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:02 pm

I would agree with the idea to block maps made by 3rd parties. Whether it's possible with the way Salem is programmed I don't know.

Case in point: I had settled at a nice spot (lake, autumnal forest, pine forest, swamp, grassland all in walking distance) in an unmapped region of the world, was the best spot I've ever seen. Some days ago someone mapped the whole region, and now the place is overrun by people. I abandoned the spot.

Although the map is huge there aren't actually that many good spots for settlements - instead there are large expanses of grassland or forest that aren't good for anything. Thus the maps made with the 3rd party clients help people to find locations for their settlement - and since the game mechanics practically force you to settle at a spot where you have forest, grassland and water these spots get crowded and littered with abandoned lean-to's and settlement claims.
Steve

Postby APXEOLOG » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:52 pm

Steve wrote:Case in point: I had settled at a nice spot (lake, autumnal forest, pine forest, swamp, grassland all in walking distance) in an unmapped region of the world, was the best spot I've ever seen. Some days ago someone mapped the whole region, and now the place is overrun by people. I abandoned the spot.

Do you really think that you will find "wild" region when the game will be released? You should understand how to live wih peple.
APXEOLOG

Postby milonti » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:14 pm

This thread makes me think about just paving a HUGE spot of land for the purpose of ***** with the map.

People will be like "OMG look at that huge settlement!" and travel out to it. And itll only be paved ground.
milonti

Postby Potjeh » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:03 pm

More likely then not, some newbs would decide that the pavement is a good spot to settle, so the raiders wouldn't go home completely empty handed.
Potjeh

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations