New craft trees?

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: New craft trees?

Postby Uberness » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:29 pm

Penwith wrote:Pigs were intoduced, at least the European domesticated ones, by De Soto nearly 100 years before the Plymouth Colony was founded. Yes, in Florida, but at the rate pigs reproduce and the fondness for pork that the natives had, it is not a stretch to see them in the wild in Salem. John Smith also brought a number over to Jamestown in 1607, and a number either escaped or were loosed into the wilds.

there may have been pigs released into the wild, but do you really think they would have made it as far north as Massachusets? wild/feral pigs today are quite a nuisance in the american south, but you don't find them at all farther north! as far as that goes there is a pig relative in south and central america known as a tapir, it never spread north either. animals stick to the climates they like and for pigs thats the warmer south.

Penwith wrote:Dairy cows were eagerly sought as imports by the colonists to break up their mundane diets. Sheep and chickens too. Beef cattle come over much later. For me, it is the dairy aspect that is crucial, not the beef.

I agree animals should be imported, its a great idea, and as was stated earlier thats already planned. your original post didn't ask about what could be imported but instead asked about new wildlife that could be domesticated. sorry for the confusion on that...if we're talking about introduced species there are several I'd like to see besides whats listed, but if we're talking native/wild animals there are also a bunch of those that would be nice to have around!
Uberness

Postby Shoi » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:40 pm

I kinda wanna point out this is a game not the 'real' deal so having a few minor adjustments to the wildlife would make it a bit more interesting. I like having a few annoyances for players to deal with like ground hogs or moles to contend with in farming. Possibly crows? And Wild pigs do living in some northern areas, they've been an issue but more towards the western side of the north. Squirrels would but fun as well, harder then rabbits but weaker then beaver.
Shoi

Postby Qukatt » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:49 pm

kfv7 wrote:If you are talking about animals, dont forget about dogs and wolfs.

Wolves and Coyotes. for sure!

I would like to see some dogs for use as guarding claims (like they could automatically go and attack tresspassers)

Also I would love to see geese, those things are nasty. And tasty.
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out. - Battlebug (Sw:tor forums pre-wipe)
Qukatt

Postby Penwith » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:09 pm

Uberness wrote:there may have been pigs released into the wild, but do you really think they would have made it as far north as Massachusets? wild/feral pigs today are quite a nuisance in the american south, but you don't find them at all farther north! as far as that goes there is a pig relative in south and central america known as a tapir, it never spread north either. animals stick to the climates they like and for pigs thats the warmer south.

Being that Salem is a fantasized version of the Massachusetts Bay Colony/Plymouth Colony, allowing for feral pigs is not that big of a stretch. It need only be plausible, not historical. Given than The natives had a taste for pork and given that pigs rapidly expand their numbers via reproduction, I argue that having them in the wild is plausible.

Penwith wrote:I agree animals should be imported, its a great idea, and as was stated earlier thats already planned. your original post didn't ask about what could be imported but instead asked about new wildlife that could be domesticated. sorry for the confusion on that...if we're talking about introduced species there are several I'd like to see besides whats listed, but if we're talking native/wild animals there are also a bunch of those that would be nice to have around!

read my first post more closely, I asked about wild and domestic animals. And as far as what is planned...links = proof. Otherwise it is just a wishlist item that may never be added. My point for starting this thread was to begin or to continue a discussion on the listed items (allowing for more to be added) so a new player wouldn't have to search every conceivable possibility.

Also, while it would be nice to just plop the contents of Noah's Arc into Salem, it doesn't need to happen. A handful more animals would give us access to the additional craft trees already mentioned (dairy) without redundency. If, in time, the map is expanded to such a point that a 15 hour walk from Bostn doesn't take you to the edge of the world, then other options are opened up.
Penwith

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:29 pm

Penwith wrote:And as far as what is planned...links = proof.

I'm going to step in and be the ass here...

Why should we do your homework for you? If more than one person is saying that something is planned, it's obviously out there. Go look it up.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Tonkyhonk » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:01 am

Penwith wrote:And as far as what is planned...links = proof. Otherwise it is just a wishlist item that may never be added.

lol oh my, great laugh i had for today.
links = proof? dont you see they are still wishlist items?
just go do a little bit of homework at least, like magicman said. otherwise nothing sounds plausible.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby Penwith » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:13 am

MagicManICT wrote:
I'm going to step in and be the ass here...
if you insist...

Why should we do your homework for you? If more than one person is saying that something is planned, it's obviously out there. Go look it up.

it is not just for me...again, re-read my posts. Why not save ALL the newcomers the hassle of searching every possible/potential addition to the game and post a link? How many things have been discussed on irc and elsewhere but not here on this specific forum? How many things have the devs posted, off the cuff, but are not directly searchable because the specific language was not used?

Your response is akin to deleting the wiki and then telling everyone else to search for the same information in the forums or via irc chat. There are reasons why Sevenless wrote his guide and why there is a wiki...one of those reasons is very much why I started this thread.

Enough people have posted here, continuing my original idea, it would be nice for them and others who did not post to be able to access the information quickly...but instead if helping, let's delete any guide that exists...or better yet, remove the search function of these forums and really force people to "do their homework."
Penwith

Postby Tonkyhonk » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:16 am

then dont ask for "proof"
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby Penwith » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:22 am

Tonkyhonk wrote:
Penwith wrote:And as far as what is planned...links = proof. Otherwise it is just a wishlist item that may never be added.

lol oh my, great laugh i had for today.
links = proof? dont you see they are still wishlist items?
just go do a little bit of homework at least, like magicman said. otherwise nothing sounds plausible.

You do realize there is a differnce between planned and mere wishlist items, right? Planned = devs intend to add it; wishlist = devs may get to it, may not.

Some here apparently confuse the two. To state it is "planned", well which is it, planned or wishlist? Planned should be linked, wishlist doesn't require such evidence. Why are posts stickied? To help folks find very useful information. Why does this suggestion thread not have a sticky containing the planned additions and wishlist items? Imagine how useful that kind of information would be.
Penwith

Postby Penwith » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:24 am

Tonkyhonk wrote:then dont ask for "proof"

How obtuse of you...
Penwith

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations