New craft trees?

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

New craft trees?

Postby Penwith » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:44 am

I layed H&H for a while and stopped playing just under a year ago, as Salem was then on the horizon and I did not want to invest more time in a game I knew I was quitting. With that in mind, I am wondering about what additional, near future, crafting trees will be added to the game, some in H&H already and others not. Please bear with me and avoid trolling as I am sure I am not the only one curious about this and perhaps one complete thread on the topic will be helpful.

1) what new wild and domestic animals could we expect to see? Foxes? Chickens? Sheep? Cattle? Swine? Goats?

2) new fruits, vegetables, and grains? Apples? strawberries? Corn? Tomatoes? Potatoes? How about edible nuts?

3) new crafting trees to go with the resources above? Dairy? Pork recipes? Mutton and beef?

Obviously, with dairy, we'd likely see butter, cheese, and milk as produceable resources from the domestics (cattle and goats) which could then be used in a large variety of consumables.

What other domestics or wild animals would make sense in Salem?

What have the devs discussed or confirmed as wish list items?
Penwith

Re: New craft trees?

Postby kfv7 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:28 pm

It would be nice if they add a wild bovine, and when you make it breed its purity stat will determine if his meat, leather or milk will be better, depending of wich stat you raised.
kfv7

Postby painhertz » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:32 pm

Only ones mentioned out of all of those are horses and cows. Apparently cattle will be bought from the town vendor.
"since i am in my 30s and could probably throw you across the room"

"Porky" Darwoth: Confusing reality and video games since 2012.......
painhertz

Postby Argost » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:56 pm

Well I hope that if we have to buy them from the town vendor that it is just to start our own animal farm. A big part of the fun to me will be raising the animals not buying them.
Argost

Postby pedrostr » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:03 pm

Chicken!

Eggs!!!

Milk !!

Pork !!

Horses!!
pedrostr

Postby Penwith » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:23 pm

I did enjoy the challenge of successfully farming domesticated animals in H&H. It would be a real shame to miss out on that here.

I can see not having cattle roaming around freely and thus needing to be purchased, chickens and goats too. Swine and horses, though, should be found in the wild.
Penwith

Postby Uberness » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:34 am

sheep, pigs, chickens and goats have no native species to north america. closest thing to cattle thats native to north america is the buffalo/bison, which isn't really a substitute for beef(the meat is really different), and they didn't live in the massachusets area. I think we should really consider whats native to the environment before asking for things to be included.

as for edible nuts, I'd love to see a few of those to help with gluttony at lower levels(so hard getting phlegm when you're newish). we already have acorns but they're not edible in game, pecans could possibly be a good addition also though they're not found quite that far north natively...
Uberness

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:08 am

Uberness wrote:sheep, pigs, chickens and goats have no native species to north america. closest thing to cattle thats native to north america is the buffalo/bison, which isn't really a substitute for beef(the meat is really different), and they didn't live in the massachusets area. I think we should really consider whats native to the environment before asking for things to be included.

Nearly all of these were imported with the colonists. I'm not sure how much cattle came over early on (given the amount they eat per day), but there were definitely sheep, pigs, goats, and chickens. We're not talking about "native species" as starter livestock will be sold on the Company Store when it's ready.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Penwith » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:38 am

Uberness wrote:sheep, pigs, chickens and goats have no native species to north america. closest thing to cattle thats native to north america is the buffalo/bison, which isn't really a substitute for beef(the meat is really different), and they didn't live in the massachusets area. I think we should really consider whats native to the environment before asking for things to be included.

as for edible nuts, I'd love to see a few of those to help with gluttony at lower levels(so hard getting phlegm when you're newish). we already have acorns but they're not edible in game, pecans could possibly be a good addition also though they're not found quite that far north natively...

Pigs were intoduced, at least the European domesticated ones, by De Soto nearly 100 years before the Plymouth Colony was founded. Yes, in Florida, but at the rate pigs reproduce and the fondness for pork that the natives had, it is not a stretch to see them in the wild in Salem. John Smith also brought a number over to Jamestown in 1607, and a number either escaped or were loosed into the wilds.

Dairy cows were eagerly sought as imports by the colonists to break up their mundane diets. Sheep and chickens too. Beef cattle come over much later. For me, it is the dairy aspect that is crucial, not the beef.

Black walnuts, other nut species, were eaten as, the "pecan" was actually a variety of different nuts, at the time, some found in New England, others in the middle colonies.

At any rate, as Magic stated, we should be looking at what was available either via local or imported sourcs, not local only.
Penwith

Postby kfv7 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:45 pm

If you are talking about animals, dont forget about dogs and wolfs.
kfv7

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations