New craft trees?

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: New craft trees?

Postby Penwith » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:07 am

MagicManICT wrote:
Penwith wrote:it is not just for me...again, re-read my posts. Why not save ALL the newcomers the hassle of searching every possible/potential addition to the game and post a link?

I was going to address this early on in the thread and ended up going afk before I got it posted the way I wanted then just dumped the whole post.... silly me.

Nobody has volunteered to track all of this. Feel free to step and do so. It's not too hard to look up dev posts here and on Paradox Plaza and then search for posts where one of them was mentioned. There's just a lot to sort through. Most of us have our own projects to assist the community along with trying to keep up with the game and this would be a big project. I don't know about the other mods, but it's not something I want to contribute my time to if the person that does try to do this quits.

Yes, dev posts are easily searched in comparison, but what about transcripts of IRC chat sessions where devs let drop nuggets of info which never found its way into a dev post? Already seen that with some purity questions and answers. It's that kind of transmission of information that precludes easy searches.
Penwith

Postby Sevenless » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:19 am

Penwith wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:
Penwith wrote:it is not just for me...again, re-read my posts. Why not save ALL the newcomers the hassle of searching every possible/potential addition to the game and post a link?

I was going to address this early on in the thread and ended up going afk before I got it posted the way I wanted then just dumped the whole post.... silly me.

Nobody has volunteered to track all of this. Feel free to step and do so. It's not too hard to look up dev posts here and on Paradox Plaza and then search for posts where one of them was mentioned. There's just a lot to sort through. Most of us have our own projects to assist the community along with trying to keep up with the game and this would be a big project. I don't know about the other mods, but it's not something I want to contribute my time to if the person that does try to do this quits.

Yes, dev posts are easily searched in comparison, but what about transcripts of IRC chat sessions where devs let drop nuggets of info which never found its way into a dev post? Already seen that with some purity questions and answers. It's that kind of transmission of information that precludes easy searches.

To be fair though, often what the devs have said in IRC turned out to be wrong. Not always, but enough that officially tracking it wouldn't be worth it in my opinion.

Simple example, the ore smelter formula given to players isn't the one being used by the game engine atm.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby milonti » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:05 am

Ask people in IRC if you think an idea might have already been suggested. If its common sense (like tree planting or tamed animals) chances are its been suggested. We're a friendly bunch in IRC, come talk with us :D
milonti

Postby Penwith » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:12 am

milonti wrote:Ask people in IRC if you think an idea might have already been suggested. If its common sense (like tree planting or tamed animals) chances are its been suggested. We're a friendly bunch in IRC, come talk with us :D

What i am asking for is evidence from the devs concerning planned and wishlisted items, not whether or not something has ever been suggested.

The problem with irc is that unless there is a transcript, it's hearsay.

Example. "the devs said sheep will eventually be in the game." <-- hearsay

"Sheep are coming" http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?619921-Cotton-is-not-wool-and-never-will-be.&highlight=. <-- evidence

What my own suggestion for this forum is that there be a sticky containing topics and links to confirmed items on the planned and wish lists.

Thusly:

Crafting Recipes and Resources

Dairy. <link> and <link> So, yes we will eventually have milk, butter, and cows.

{note: I am on my ipad, which does not like me going back and forth between tabs without my losing my posts, so I did not give the actual links to the two dev posts on the Paradox forums by Brother Bean, but I think I have shown enough for you to grasp the idea.}

so, if you are aware of irc transcripts of dev responses, your knowledge will be most helpful.
Penwith

Postby milonti » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:41 pm

Go ahead and make the forum topic then. If you keep track of it and format it well, TotalyMoo or one of the other mods will sticky it pretty fast.

Also, there are people keeping transcripts of the IRC. Once again you have to come ask, I'm not the guy that runs it.
milonti

Previous

Return to Ideas & Innovations