Medicine

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Medicine

Postby Etherdrifter » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:31 am

Ok so currently you can pass people food to heal them. Nice.

I rather enjoyed doctoring people on H&H though and I think salem would benefit from such a mechanic.

New Skill : Herbal Medicine
Child Of : Literacy
Notes : Allows the crafting of herbal poultices, rattler serum and bandages

New Skill : Medical Expertise
Child Of : Herbal Medicine
Notes : Increases the effect of healing poultices by 5 and badages by 2 per tier.

New Item : Herbal Poultice
Recipe : 1 devilwort, 1 oakworth, 1 witch's mushroom
Effects : Restores 20 of each humour
Notes : Can be applied to other players

Item Update : Rattler Serumn
Changes : Can be applied to other players

New Item : Bandages (4 tiers, one for each cloth?)
Recipe : 3 cotton cloth
Uses : 5
Effects : Restores 8 of each humour per tier
Notes : Can be applied to other players

Optional Extra : Tier 3+ bandages can be used to revive unconscious players without stat loss.

Core Concept : Healing items are just that, there to restore stats and offer an extra way to be nice to someone. They are not a replacement for foods (since you can't glutton them), they're a more focused investment of resources ;)
..........Image
So very many skeletons...
.....Necromancers Guild
Etherdrifter

Re: Medicine

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:48 am

Wasn't "doctoring" in HnH more just having a bandage or two on hand and/or liberal use of leeches? Not much skill in that other than not killing the patient.

What, exactly, is there to "doctor" in Salem within the game mechanics? Most of this here really doesn't add anything. Foods heal naturally and are so easy to keep in quantity it's not really funny.

Note: I do like the idea of being able to revive downed players. It has been brought up before, though.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:53 am

I like the concept, but I agree with Magic. The current game mechanics just don't make doctoring overly useful.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Tonkyhonk » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:21 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Wasn't "doctoring" in HnH more just having a bandage or two on hand and/or liberal use of leeches? Not much skill in that other than not killing the patient.

that reminded me of this encounter with someone who introduced himself as a village doctor in haven... he got exiled from his village very soon-ish as i talked to one of the village leaders about him later.
larping is fun, but sometimes needs some serious considerations on how such things can benefit or entertain others, game-play-wise for all.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby Etherdrifter » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:10 pm

Well see salem is already fairly harsh on the players without adding "injury" statuses (inflicted by critical hits, bad luck, curses, being knocked out etc) which require an item to heal. Either that or give statuses a timer (4 real time hours for a major one, about 10 real time mins for a minor one)

I suppose though the herbal poultice is easy enough to make (removes 1 random) and bandages (removes 1,2,3,4 random per use). It alters medicine to removing statuses instead of healing stats.

For the statuses themselves, maybe reduction in humour maxes, slower movement, reduction in stat checks. Might make the idea workable, might not. Either way you can either learn medicine, or live with the status till it clears up. Of course, to balance this nerf add in a couple of positive statuses as well from random events, mostly just as modifiers for stat checks (hells even give players a random one each day that wears out after 2 hours of play to encourage people to log in daily),
..........Image
So very many skeletons...
.....Necromancers Guild
Etherdrifter

Postby JeffGV » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:21 pm

What about a "bleeding" status that reduces blood over time (and would be stopped by bandages)?
JeffGV

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:31 pm

Etherdrifter wrote:Well see salem is already fairly harsh on the players without adding "injury" statuses (inflicted by critical hits, bad luck, curses, being knocked out etc) which require an item to heal. Either that or give statuses a timer (4 real time hours for a major one, about 10 real time mins for a minor one)

"Without adding"? Maybe you missed the two very obvious ones of Poison (drains phlegm until KO) and Fear (drains BBile for X minutes or until KO... currently bugged to guarantee KO always). Why not have two more that drain blood and YBile? It could add some interesting concepts to the game.

The game isn't that harsh for a KO. What's a couple of random proficiency points? 5 minutes of work? If you don't want "XP penalties", go play WoW or something. I seem to recall a game where you could easily lose a weeks worth of xp grinding in one quick death.... Of course, there's the alternative: There is no KO, only death.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Shoi » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:19 pm

I think twinks to your idea would be a little more sensible cause if medical came as stated food would be nearly obsolete. For example making bandages harder to make with different status. Just as an example:

New Item : Bandages
Recipe : 3 cotton cloth + grass [Tier 1]
Uses : 1 or 2 Depending on skills
Effects : Restores anywhere from 1-8 Blood Humour over time
Notes : Can be applied to other players if skill is unlocked, [Debuff]Can only have 1 bandage applied at a time.

This kinda balances it so you don't have someone following another person around reapplying bandages on them over and over to win battles and fights. And with a bit harder recipes, like grass as a weaving agent to hold the bandage on. And I'm not really good with figuring out times but I think a bandage would randomly kinda last so like anywhere from 2-20 mins for Tier 1 the 10-30 for Tier 2. Just kinda figuring it out. Not to much though on time periods yet.
Shoi

Return to Ideas & Innovations