Finite Resources in an MMO

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Finite Resources in an MMO

Postby Ashiman » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:49 pm

I have noticed that most resources in this game are finite. A lime stone deposit only goes so far before it’s not quarry-able. Granite boulders are about 25 rocks and they are dead and are finite in nature. Trying to hunt individual rocks even with all related skills for finding them is very time consuming and boring. This is a big issue in an MMO since in the long term people’s locations will no longer be viable. While hauling from further and further away is a short term option even that will no longer be viable for long term sustainability. Overall this is a serious issue and I am sure you’re working on ideas to solve it. I have a few that may help.

Mines:
The best so far but I think you should have the option to go down deeper once the first layer goes out to far since that is the nature of mining.

Granite, Stone, and Lime:
Granite needs to have a quarry-able area like the other two.
All of these resources should have an Advance skill for each type that will when combined with prospecting, quarrying, and levers and pulleys (as prerequisites) will allow the player to find and construct a quarry pit. This would function as a mine but be larger require more resources to build etc. What this would be aimed at is towns are small-medium groups of players. This will also leave the existing quarry areas as a starting resource while moving into This Pit model for longer term sustainability. I chose these skills as prerequisites as that you need them to Find, Dig, and Raise to the surface said resources.

Trees:
Make most every type plant-able I don't care if it takes a week or month to mature (though some could be faster than others). Related skill Arborist will speed it up since any one can plant a tree some just can do it better.

These ideas are a start but the issue is still there even after a year of playing there will still be problems in any given area. While a better transportation system will help push this out further you are ultimately looking at the need for a better regenerative resource model I suggest EVE as an idea for potential models since they have one of the Player driven market I have ever seen.
Ashiman

Re: Finite Resources in an MMO

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:03 pm

Resources should be finite in a game. It gives the world life and a feel of a passage of time.

This is being addressed in part with the multi-server capabilities being developed. At least if I've understood a few posts correctly. I don't want to repeat anything as I'm not 100% sure what the plan is for it.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby ElCapitan1701 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:30 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Resources should be finite in a game. .

this. It`s good for crafting, it`s good for pvp, it`s good for game progression.
ElCapitan1701

Postby Sevenless » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:35 pm

Other than trees, which will be plantable in the future, none of the resources you've mentioned are finite. They simply become harder to get over time, but never impossible. Furthermore, the mining system is a placeholder so I wouldn't really bother complaining about it until we know what the final form will be.

Once we have new servers popping up I envision we'll be importing materials from the noobies in the fresh servers to make up for the difficulty of acquisition here.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby MvGulik » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:37 pm

Natural resources should not be truly finite*. Natural resource extraction from a game object should be finite (as they are).
*) Harder over time, sure. Finite, nope.
---
*) Unless indestructible.
MvGulik

Postby APXEOLOG » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:38 pm

All resources will be "restorable" because devs said we will be able to increase it's purity. Maybe not every but main resources should be.
You can call me 'arh'. No needs to distort my nickname :)
APXEOLOG

Postby darnokpl » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:02 am

Ashiman wrote:I have noticed that most resources in this game are finite. A lime stone deposit only goes so far before it’s not quarry-able. Granite boulders are about 25 rocks and they are dead and are finite in nature. Trying to hunt individual rocks even with all related skills for finding them is very time consuming and boring. This is a big issue in an MMO since in the long term people’s locations will no longer be viable. While hauling from further and further away is a short term option even that will no longer be viable for long term sustainability. Overall this is a serious issue and I am sure you’re working on ideas to solve it. I have a few that may help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Na9-jV_OJI ¦]
darnokpl

Postby M_So » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:48 am

I happen to think that resources are far too common at the moment, I can't walk 10 min without finding 3 charms, 6 singing old logs and a bunch of other useful items. I'm hopping after they leave beta that they turn down the spawn rate of everything.

Only thing I would want is a granite-quarry but I don't think it is really needed right now with how common the granite (small stones) are.
M_So

Postby darnokpl » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:22 am

M_So wrote:I happen to think that resources are far too common at the moment, I can't walk 10 min without finding 3 charms, 6 singing old logs and a bunch of other useful items. I'm hopping after they leave beta that they turn down the spawn rate of everything.

Only thing I would want is a granite-quarry but I don't think it is really needed right now with how common the granite (small stones) are.

Too common :shock: where? If you walk near any large town you won't find anything mate and there is always some ton or two of granite needed.
darnokpl

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:26 pm

The lack of granite quarries is a bit of an issue, yes. If you have more than a couple of foragers on and active at a time, though, you'll probably need to get more than 10 minutes from any town to really start finding things. This is a result of the spawning mechanics, not of how common things are or aren't.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations