Safety and Defences

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Safety and Defences

Postby Seireitey » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:53 pm

Currently, there is no way to protect yourself in this game. I talk about items and villages. Stone Hedge gives the biggest protection and its already can get bashed with hand. In H&H brickwall gave totall 100% protection, u just had to look for rams each 24 hours.
Half of my village left the game, when we've got robbed. Well, actually they left not because we've got robbed-all of them had H&H experience and they got used to loose stuff in random moment. They left Salem, when they read forums and understood, that there is no way to be protected. Btw, while tracking him, we've found like 5-6 robbed settlements.
My H&H mates, just like any H&H player, faced many things:
-Server technical issues while fighting with bears/swimming? -Ok, sh*t happens.
-Got surrounded by the players in Dragon helms? -I think, I ll have to watch global map and check for high-end villages nearby, before settle my next home.
-Was palibashed, robbed and killed? -At least, now I know that brickwall must be built ASAP.
But almost always, there is a way to escape 90% of troubles. That way called "Brickwall".
But now they dropped Salem after one single pathetic robbery. We've lost almost nothing-less than 500 coins was the biggest loss, LOL. They dropped not because they don't understand, that loosing stuff is a part of the game, but because whats point in playing? Guys like him can visit us again anytime. Next time this might be some retarded griefer, who will destroy all cupboards and structures, harvest all plants and throw all things that he don't need to the ground to let them rot.
I understand, that no one can feel totally safe-this is the part of this game. But the most valued stuff is not your character, its your high purity stuff, coins, plants and some things that require time to get. With some help of this stuff and your mates, you can easily get your new character back to its old level.
So my suggestion will be pretty short and simple: Make stone hedge indestructible, until there will be way to build a stronger wall or rams will be included in the game.
Seireitey

Re: Safety and Defences

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:14 pm

I hate to say it, but most of this post is just iterating things the devs have publicly stated. There's current back-end projects that have to get done first, but much of this is already in the pipeline. If you're curious, there's been a lot of discussion in other places other than here. Try the Paradox Plaza forums (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/for ... ?590-Salem). Facebook and various interviews and Q&A sessions have a good bit of information, too.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Potjeh » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:20 am

Walls aren't intended to be a real defence on their own. You need torches and braziers, and a large place to maximize enemy exposure to them.
Potjeh

Postby JeffGV » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:43 am

Problem is, the amount of damage they do is static. That means, after some time they'll be useless against more developed raiders. Not to talk about the absolute lack of risk involved, since all they've got to do is some simple math to know how much one can withstand.
JeffGV

Postby Seireitey » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:52 am

Potjeh wrote:Walls aren't intended to be a real defence on their own. You need torches and braziers, and a large place to maximize enemy exposure to them.
How braziers and torches will help to protect stuff? The wiki says, that it drains black bile. You need phlegm to destroy things, whats point in draining black bile?
Seireitey

Postby darnokpl » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:02 am

Seireitey wrote:
Potjeh wrote:Walls aren't intended to be a real defence on their own. You need torches and braziers, and a large place to maximize enemy exposure to them.
How braziers and torches will help to protect stuff? The wiki says, that it drains black bile. You need phlegm to destroy things, whats point in draining black bile?

Every 1 sec on your personal claim (if I am correct) drains BB from raider, look at your stats if they are ~50 that means you can WALK on hostile claim for 50 seconds:)
Every theft or vandalism attempt cost additional BB and now best part... if near brazier or torch raider will leave 2 summonable scents they will start to fire at him, braziers can hit for 1.5 BB per second (if I am correct), so can you calculate how long raiders can walk on your claim or how many things they can steal from you while under fire?:)
darnokpl

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:42 am

darnokpl wrote: braziers can hit for 1.5 BB per second (if I am correct),

There isn't a constant damage. It's based on the total number in the area and gets lower per device with more braziers/torchposts, but there is a floor as to how low it will go, which, for the braziers, is 1.5. If it's just one brazier, I believe it's 5/tick if I recall right. I believe jorb or loftar posted the formula, but I could be mistaken, and don't know if it has made its way to the wiki.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby darnokpl » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:30 am

MagicManICT wrote:
darnokpl wrote: braziers can hit for 1.5 BB per second (if I am correct),

There isn't a constant damage. It's based on the total number in the area and gets lower per device with more braziers/torchposts, but there is a floor as to how low it will go, which, for the braziers, is 1.5. If it's just one brazier, I believe it's 5/tick if I recall right. I believe jorb or loftar posted the formula, but I could be mistaken, and don't know if it has made its way to the wiki.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough, I wrote it thinking about single brazier... but yea you are right forgot that braziers were buffed after wipe.
darnokpl

Postby staxjax » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:42 am

I think braziers are the same as they were before the wipe. I've heard of braziers doing 10 max damage every 3s. It was the same amount of damage when in range of both 10 and 20 braziers at once.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby Seireitey » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:30 pm

Thank you everybody. Looks like the problem was not in the game. Problem is that we are just a bunch of noobs who don't know this game at all. :p
I would like to ask moderators to delete this topic. It doesn't contain any useful ideas or information.
However, maybe make information about BB and brazier more obvious? I think Salem lacks a tip, that tells all that stuff about criminal acts, BB and draining. Prob, it will be a good idea to add such tip when player picks Settling skill.
For example, my settlement don't like to go for crime actions. We don't farm Cloaks & Daggers stuff, so we know nothing about BB being drained while doing such things. I think, we are not alone with such views, players must know how to protect themselves ASAP, so why don't add helping tip when ppl get aссess to stake claims?
Seireitey

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations