Safety and Defences

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Safety and Defences

Postby darnokpl » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:24 pm

Seireitey wrote:Thank you everybody. Looks like the problem was not in the game. Problem is that we are just a bunch of noobs who don't know this game at all. :p
I would like to ask moderators to delete this topic. It doesn't contain any useful ideas or information.
However, maybe make information about BB and brazier more obvious? I think Salem lacks a tip, that tells all that stuff about criminal acts, BB and draining. Prob, it will be a good idea to add such tip when player picks Settling skill.
For example, my settlement don't like to go for crime actions. We don't farm Cloaks & Daggers stuff, so we know nothing about BB being drained while doing such things. I think, we are not alone with such views, players must know how to protect themselves ASAP, so why don't add helping tip when ppl get aссess to stake claims?

It is crafting, perma death and exploring mmo mate:P
darnokpl

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:11 pm

Seireitey wrote:However, maybe make information about BB and brazier more obvious? I think Salem lacks a tip, that tells all that stuff about criminal acts, BB and draining. Prob, it will be a good idea to add such tip when player picks Settling skill.

Salem lacks a lot of "tips". Sometimes that's on purpose (having all of that crap inside the game is just plain annoying), sometimes it's something overlooked (some game mechanics are complex or easy to miss and need some sort of general, easy to find explanation), so it's good to post about these things and make a well considered suggestion. However, just because a person has played a thousand and one different games doesn't mean your exempt from picking up a manual and reading it. In the case of Salem, no there isn't a thorough manual yet. The wiki is in pretty good shape and getting better every week, though.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby staxjax » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:03 pm

I sure hope your friends decide to play again, once you share with them your newly found knowledge about defenses in Salem.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby baronbowden » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:18 pm

Only thread I found about this topic. Wanted to resurrect. Forum mods please split if it should be new.

Current brazier system 2 crimes before they activate. Just leads to too much abuse.
For example

1) Group of 6 each person breaks down 1 layer of wall etc etc they can get into the middle of a claim with all the braziers never firing a shot.
2) Person could be assaulting you in your base, or someone kinned in your base and braziers never fire.

I think the current system is to lenient when it comes to determining what crimes will cause an activation.
Ideally they should activate as soon as waste is period.
Also people should be able to memorize characters and as soon as they enter your claim territory braziers would know to hostile them from being memorized.

B
baronbowden

Postby darnokpl » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:44 pm

baronbowden wrote:Current brazier system 2 crimes before they activate. Just leads to too much abuse.

Only one problem I can imagine it is when there is gap between wall layers.
After bashing 1 wall raiders can walk 24+ tiles away from first scent and then bash second wall.
They will leave 2 scents, but not in range of single brazier.

If you have more ideas please let me know:)
darnokpl

Postby baronbowden » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:48 pm

completely agree. It is just way way too open to abuse.

The obvious solution is they should just trigger as soon as crime a waste or battery happens and the entire claim should aggro the offending char.

I mean in all honesty the logic that the 2 acts is there to protect noobs from getting burned on... just doesn't hold water. People arnt running around attacking walls when they see braziers when they are new for giggles.. and if they are.... its a good lesson to learn early on:P
baronbowden

Postby Dallane » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:07 pm

you know xpass counts as the 1st offense right?

maybe if you guys had an actual town layout you wouldn't be crying
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby darnokpl » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:21 pm

baronbowden wrote:completely agree. It is just way way too open to abuse.

The obvious solution is they should just trigger as soon as crime a waste or battery happens and the entire claim should aggro the offending char.

I mean in all honesty the logic that the 2 acts is there to protect noobs from getting burned on... just doesn't hold water. People arnt running around attacking walls when they see braziers when they are new for giggles.. and if they are.... its a good lesson to learn early on:P

Idea with battery scent is interesting if you are defending your claim, but from aggressor point of view...
single defender can run forever around his base and you will be under fire from braziers, so there will be little chance to kill him and huge chance to run out of black bile, even if you got advantage 5vs1.
darnokpl

Postby darnokpl » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:23 pm

Dallane wrote:you know xpass counts as the 1st offense right?

maybe if you guys had an actual town layout you wouldn't be crying

Who is crying?

And tresspass doesn't activate braziers only summonable scents do.
darnokpl

Postby staxjax » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:37 pm

darnokpl wrote:After bashing 1 wall raiders can walk 24+ tiles away from first scent and then bash second wall.
They will leave 2 scents, but not in range of single brazier.

The claim keeps track of the 'crime rate' of each character commiting crimes on the claim, not the individual braziers. If you have one claim, fully defended with braziers, then they cant just walk '24 tiles' away to avoid triggering braziers.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations