Compass

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Compass

Postby Snutteplutt » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:08 am

Don't know if it has been discussed before but I did not find a thread on it. If it has been discussed, please remove/lock/cover with dirt :)

I'd love to have the opportunity to craft me a compass, helping me understand what way my character is actually facing when looking at the map.
Survival is not about being the fastest. It's about being just faster then the slowest one.
Snutteplutt

Re: Compass

Postby Zou » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:09 am

Pointed player marker would do it.
Holy Oddipriest of the Oddgod | And so the Oddgod's Master Plan was revealed. Quiver in your chairs!
Zou

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:47 pm

It has been mentioned multiple times, but the first time here, and I don't think anyone expects a person to search the entire internet for a single idea for an as of yet unpublished game.

I think several people have said that they aren't so worried about a compass showing NSEW (why isn't is SEWN?) but would like to have a pointer back to their homestead. I am one of them. I have the minimap for cardinal directions. It's pretty easy to get lost out wandering, though, and no amount of boy scout orienteering is going to get you back home if you don't know where home is at. Guess that means we want in game maps, too?
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby sabinati » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:17 pm

boshaw's alpha client had a pretty cool compass but it showed the way the camera was facing iirc. ender and apx may be able to implement something similar.
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:42 pm

I was thinking APX had a marker you could set in the client when you left your homestead so you could come back to it, I don't think it was persistent through session changes (player teleported for some reason, enter/exit a building, or log out and back in).
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby darnokpl » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:52 pm

MagicManICT wrote:It has been mentioned multiple times, but the first time here, and I don't think anyone expects a person to search the entire internet for a single idea for an as of yet unpublished game.

I think several people have said that they aren't so worried about a compass showing NSEW (why isn't is SEWN?) but would like to have a pointer back to their homestead. I am one of them. I have the minimap for cardinal directions. It's pretty easy to get lost out wandering, though, and no amount of boy scout orienteering is going to get you back home if you don't know where home is at. Guess that means we want in game maps, too?

One of them was me:)
Skill that I can turn off and on when I want, like swimming or tracking. When it is turned on it pointing to my home.
darnokpl

Return to Ideas & Innovations