Traps And Snares

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Traps And Snares

Postby Etherdrifter » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Again a rough idea but here goes:

A player may only build traps/snares on their claim. They take up space. They are invisible to everyone barring the claim owner and anyone who has vandalism permissions to the claim. They only activate when someone enters the claim without rights. Traps may also be applied to containers and gates (similar to locks), only one trap per object. If a player de-homesteads their claim traps become dormant.

Skill : Traps And Snares
Child Of : Mechanics
Extra Profs : +2500 cloak and dagger

Traps :

Name : Poison Needle
Crafting Recipe : 1 Etterfang, 1 metal bar
Skill Required : Coffer Making, Traps And Snares
Applied To : Chest, Cabinet, Gate
Trigger : ON OPEN
Effect & Notes : Inflicts poison when the object is used by someone. Single use only.

Name : Bear In A Box
Crafting Recipe : 1 bear pelt, normal chest items, 1 metal bar
Skill Required : Coffer Making, Traps And Snares
Applied To : Built
Trigger : ON OPEN
Effect & Notes : When opened a bear leaps out giving a fright, inflicting the fear debuffs (level of debuff varies by purity). Looks like a normal chest. Multiple use. Becomes visible until reset by owner

Name : Pit Of Doom
Crafting Recipe : 30 bricks, 2 metal bars, 4 planks
Skill Required : Traps And Snares
Applied To : Built (2x2)
Trigger : ON WALK
Effect & Notes : Throws the victim into a pit (makes their sprite vanish and immobilises them), pit becomes visible until reset by owner and the option to climb out is there (success rate depends on mines and mountains and is buffed by climb skills, failure inflicts damage). CANNOT be built next to another pit. Right clicking on pit is used to climb out. Becomes passable while unset to everyone. Difficulty to escape based on purity. Player can ALWAYS teleport back to homestead/boston if stuck.

Name : Loose Plank
Crafting Recipe : 1 plank, 2 nails, 1 metal bar
Skill Required : Traps And Snares, Carpentry
Applied To : Built inside a hut (1x1)
Trigger : On walk
Effects & Notes : When triggered inflicts blood damage upon the victim, cannot be built next to another loose plank. Damage based on purity

Name : Caltrops
Crafting Recipe : 12 nails per tile
Skill Required : Traps And Snares, Blacksmithing
Applied To : Built outside
Trigger : On walk
Effects & Notes : When triggered inflicts blood and tellow bile damage upon the victim, damage based on purity. Single use. (1x1 tile size)

Name : Phlegm Purge
Crafting Recipe : 1 phlegmpurge sapling (found naturally in the darkness as hostile to all), prepared plantpot
Skill Required : Horticulture
Applied To : Plantpot
Trigger : Proximity (similar to braziers)
Effects & Notes : Fires phlegm draining globules (purity effects damage). Slow rate of fire (1 globule per 3 mins)
..........Image
So very many skeletons...
.....Necromancers Guild
Etherdrifter

Re: Traps And Snares

Postby milonti » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:33 pm

I.... I dont think I've seen this as an idea before.

I like this, I like it a lot. I want it.

Except for the pit thing, dont give them free teleport. Thats broken. Otherwise, hats off to you sir. This seems like a good idea. Maybe retool the number some, but a cool idea nonetheless.
milonti

Postby APXEOLOG » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:36 pm

I don't think traps will be good with current defence system.
You can call me 'arh'. No needs to distort my nickname :)
APXEOLOG

Postby Superiodity » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:48 pm

I like these ideas
Could you upgrade pit of doom to pit of snakes once it has been built?
Superiodity

Postby Etherdrifter » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:53 pm

Superiodity wrote:Could you upgrade pit of doom to pit of snakes once it has been built?

I thought of that but then I thought "bit overpowered". The traps are designed to make theft harder, not impossible. Still though... I would like a snake pit just for the hell of it...
..........Image
So very many skeletons...
.....Necromancers Guild
Etherdrifter

Postby aragaer » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:15 pm

I'd actually prefer seeing traps and snares for catching animals.

Also maybe fishing snares.
aragaer

Postby Sevenless » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:46 pm

I would prefer to move to a more trap based defensive system than just building bigger walls and more braziers.

Static fish traps and animal snares (there would be a radius where if they overlap what is produced would be reduced) would be a neat addition.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby APXEOLOG » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:32 am

Sevenless wrote:I would prefer to move to a more trap based defensive system than just building bigger walls and more braziers.

You think building traps on every free tile inside of your walls is better defensive system?
You can call me 'arh'. No needs to distort my nickname :)
APXEOLOG

Postby TotalyMoo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:15 pm

The best trap is to place a Writ of Homesteading in a random stump and laugh as someone uses it in their own base... Erh but that's not really for defending.

I love the idea of being able to set up traps for opponents, as it's pretty straight forward right now. One can easily calculate how many things you can take with you to not be KO'd, but adding secret traps to the equation would force raiders to have more swing-room in their biles.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby sumofallwars » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:01 pm

I like the idea of traps but i think it should have a down side.
perhaps you can't lock something that is trapped and they are one time use?

Also make sure if you add trapping also add it for regular hunting.(snares for hares+beavers)(bear traps/deer)
sumofallwars

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations