Suggestion for Mining Revamp

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Suggestion for Mining Revamp

Postby Sevenless » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:42 am

Mines currently require claiming of multiple multiple mines and essentially denying access from other players in order to advance your own purity. This system is flawed for many reasons, but the general concept of smelters not mattering (due to otherwise needing multiple purity smelters which would be a real pain in the ass) is something I'd like to see stay. It also seems weird that in order to advance your purity you need to spend time wandering around on the surface instead of sweating it out underground.

Proposition: All surface mines become Purity 1.00

Instead of prospecting above ground, why not move the prospecting underground. Each tile mined out would have a chance at generating an underground equivalent of a mine hole on the surface. These holes would only be visible if in prospecting mode, and would obey the same visibility rules as mineholes do currently with respect to dowsing rods. The holes would also have a +/- random factor with respect to the purity of the current level within which they were spawned. All holes would continue to be infinite in potential ore available.

This would make mines hard work, and it would also make max purity theoretically possible. Currently there's a decent chance no purity 10 mines exist in the world, with this system they could eventually be created in theory through player hard work.

Pros:
-Mine purity becomes related to actual mining
-Claiming multiple mines is no longer incentivized, you can have all 4 mine purities in one mine hole
-Mining feels like hard work instead of time spent wandering
-Adding new mineral types to this system is easily done by making them a potential spawn chance. Perhaps Copper would only show up in mine holes with 50+ Alchemical Salt values. Gold could spawn on any purity value, but only rarely, etc.

Cons:
-Likely more prone to botting than the current system. The requirement for firing the walls first might make programming such a bot tricker than mining bots in haven were
-Creation of "potentially" infinite mine areas, I'm not sure if this poses potential server or programming problems

Side Note: Hewing boulders out of a wall should really require higher amounts of phlegm. I also think the stat requirement concept from Haven mining was a worthwhile one. Mining tiles should be changed to a damage based system, and the purity multiplier should contribute some kind of soak. This would make higher purity mines not only require effort to find, but they would also heavily benefit miners who abuse their phlegm in order to mine them more efficiently.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Re: Suggestion for Mining Revamp

Postby ShadowAtlan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:51 am

This has my complete support. I couldn't have put it any better.
Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science.
ShadowAtlan

Postby krikke93 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:26 am

Despite i would lose my purity mine, i think this is a great idea!
But first let me finish my rod :p
Wanna hear some epic music while playing this epic game?
Visit my YouTube Channel!
krikke93

Postby Onionfighter » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:53 am

Essentially, I am reading that you want mining to be more like H&H's mining.
Since I think H&H has a far more interesting mining system, I think this is a good idea.
Onionfighter

Postby jorb » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:22 am

The present mechanic isn't stellar, that much is fo sho.
jorb

Postby darnokpl » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:06 am

Yes for all ideas except

Sevenless wrote:-Claiming multiple mines is no longer incentivized, you can have all 4 mine purities in one mine hole

Different purities mines should be like biomes, but hidden on map, or there should be mechanic that will disallow to build two mines too close to each other,
so we can't have all of them in one camp or small area.
darnokpl

Postby APXEOLOG » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:08 am

Sevenless wrote:-Claiming multiple mines is no longer incentivized, you can have all 4 mine purities in one mine hole

It looks like main cons for me. Ore is resource, and if everyone can hold 4 top-purity ore nodes in single highly-defended minehole, high purity ore will become useless in trade.
You can call me 'arh'. No needs to distort my nickname :)
APXEOLOG

Postby darnokpl » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:43 am

Sevenless wrote:-Creation of "potentially" infinite mine areas, I'm not sure if this poses potential server or programming problems

Darkness like system, but instead of light use air and you got solution:)

On larger distances from mine entrance there will be less air, so your stats should decrease.
Better stats you have you can go for longer distances and get more valuable metals.
Also there shouldn't be huge mines like in HnH if stat decreasing rate will be calculated in right way:)
darnokpl

Postby Potjeh » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:27 pm

Personally I'd prefer qualityless ore, with charcoal, smelters and lime being the only determinators of metal quality.
Potjeh

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:01 pm

Potjeh wrote:Personally I'd prefer qualityless ore, with charcoal, smelters and lime being the only determinators of metal quality.

+1 from me!

Honestly, I was hoping for something akin to the current Haven system, but I can understand why it wasn't used. It does have it's flaws (nothing that you can't work around as a player/town).
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations