Drained but can recover

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Drained but can recover

Postby aragaer » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:27 am

Currently we have three meters for humours - current <= expected <= maximum.

The only way to have difference levels in expected and current is eating. The idea is that certain activities (running, digging) would not simply drain humour, but have a large drain in "current" meter with a sizeable but smaller drain in "expected". if you take a break you will recover back to "expected"

This introduces breaks which aren't limited to eating.
aragaer

Re: Drained but can recover

Postby TotalyMoo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:12 pm

Like a heal in Bloodline Champions, you mean?
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby aragaer » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:34 pm

No idea what Bloodline Champions are.

In some shooter games (kill.switch is one I know) when you're shot, you lose some "max" health and some more "current" health. If "current" reaches 0, you're dead. If you take cover and have time to recover, your current health restores back to (new, reduced) max health. Medikits recover "max" health back to actual maximum.

In Salem that would work this way: I have 10 phlegm and go digging. I spend 8.0 phlegm but only 6.0 "expected". If i simply rest, i'll get back to 4.0 phegm. I can eat something to increase the "expected" value.
aragaer

Postby TeckXKnight » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:42 pm

Just to clarify then; you mean a passive recovery of biles when not performing actions?
TeckXKnight

Postby TotalyMoo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:43 pm

aragaer wrote:No idea what Bloodline Champions are.

In some shooter games (kill.switch is one I know) when you're shot, you lose some "max" health and some more "current" health. If "current" reaches 0, you're dead. If you take cover and have time to recover, your current health restores back to (new, reduced) max health. Medikits recover "max" health back to actual maximum.

In Salem that would work this way: I have 10 phlegm and go digging. I spend 8.0 phlegm but only 6.0 "expected". If i simply rest, i'll get back to 4.0 phegm. I can eat something to increase the "expected" value.

Hmm. That does make sense. Could be some abilities that made you spend less on one and more on the other, too.

Approved!
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

TotalyMoo

Postby aragaer » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:05 pm

TeckXKnight wrote:Just to clarify then; you mean a passive recovery of biles when not performing actions?
Partially, but not fully. You still need to eat, but you have to make non-eating breaks.

It could be made that "expected" humour loss is in line with existing humour losses, while "current" loss is greater than that. Result - same as now, but you have to take breaks in addition to just eating.
aragaer

Postby TotalyMoo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:31 pm

I made an illustration to clarify how it would work.

Kind of...

TotalyMoo

Postby aragaer » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:15 pm

Exactly my point!
aragaer

Postby Sevenless » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:13 pm

Humour bar: Current Humour/Current Max/Humour Max

He's referring to things that drain current humours without changing the current max bar, in the same way that the darkness does.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby TotalyMoo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:13 pm

Sevenless wrote:Humour bar: Current Humour/Current Max/Humour Max

He's referring to things that drain current humours without changing the current max bar, in the same way that the darkness does.

--- What?

TotalyMoo

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations