Natives become avaible to play

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Natives become avaible to play

Postby Shoi » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:55 am

kitzu_rus wrote:Life in Salem is boring. No dangers, nothing to protect from. You live like a vegetable on a garden.
Natives just could bring some fun and challenges.

What game have you been playing? My first two characters were slaughtered on sight leaving Boston. My second was nick picked to death by neighbors.
Shoi

Postby kitzu_rus » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:52 am

In that case it's just necessary to add natives fraction. When you kill without need to protect life it's a murder even in a game. That's bad and teaches people bad things.
Adding Indians will split gamers and allow those who like to kill find each other on the front line. And those who prefer to craft - live almost peacefully rearward.
kitzu_rus

Postby pedrostr » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:01 am

Love the idea.

LOVE
THE
IDEA

i can already imagine indians on horses with Rifles or just Bows and Arrows, raiding an european settlement.

And going back to their Tipee at the end of the day with their campfire permanently light :)
pedrostr

Postby Dallane » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:56 pm

kitzu_rus wrote:In that case it's just necessary to add natives fraction. When you kill without need to protect life it's a murder even in a game. That's bad and teaches people bad things.
Adding Indians will split gamers and allow those who like to kill find each other on the front line. And those who prefer to craft - live almost peacefully rearward.

why don't you make your own faction then. this is a sanbox. we already have 1 crazy indian running around.

you need to leave boston to see the danger in this game
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby kitzu_rus » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:23 am

Dallane wrote:why don't you make your own faction then. this is a sanbox. we already have 1 crazy indian running around.

People are good by default. And thank God. The mad ones in the game - walking around and killing mates - are kids 14 years old max mostly. Older and more intellectual people won't kill anyone without and idea.

Btw I walked through the map for at least real-time 8 hours. And at least once from right sea to left sea (and "swimmed" to the land). All I saw was animals and settlements without people. And I met a guy one day in the wild - said "hi" to him and walked by. That's it.

Here's the simpliest solution - Make people choose whom to play - English or Spanish colonists.
Same models, same code, same everything. Just add flags somewhere noticable. And it will rock the place :twisted:
kitzu_rus

Postby Dallane » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:12 am

kitzu_rus wrote:
Dallane wrote:why don't you make your own faction then. this is a sanbox. we already have 1 crazy indian running around.

People are good by default. And thank God. The mad ones in the game - walking around and killing mates - are kids 14 years old max mostly. Older and more intellectual people won't kill anyone without and idea.

Btw I walked through the map for at least real-time 8 hours. And at least once from right sea to left sea (and "swimmed" to the land). All I saw was animals and settlements without people. And I met a guy one day in the wild - said "hi" to him and walked by. That's it.

Here's the simpliest solution - Make people choose whom to play - English or Spanish colonists.
Same models, same code, same everything. Just add flags somewhere noticable. And it will rock the place :twisted:

you are very wrong about the ages. if you really think that then you need to wake up.

the only factions in this game are going to be the ones the players make. so go out and make war if thats what you are looking to do.

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby kitzu_rus » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:48 am

Yes, you're right. On the second thought - people will join in groups some day and defend their territories/raid other players.

But natives as some ai driven threat would be great. It looks like a big white spot in game design to me.
Why do I find arrows and feathers but not owners of arrows?
Last edited by kitzu_rus on Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
kitzu_rus

Postby Dallane » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:51 am

kitzu_rus wrote:Yes, you're right. On the second thought - people will join in groups some day and defend their territories/raid other players.

But natives as some ai driven threat would be great. It looks like a big white spot in game design.
Why do I find arrows and feathers but not owners of arrows?

they don't want to be found.

Dallane

Postby anox » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:22 pm

I actually like the idea of finding arrowheads without ever seeing Native Americans. I like that sadness-tinged mystery.

As for the idea of adding that population as a playable faction: too much work to create a set of skills from the Native point of view, one that would do justice to those cultures.
Also, it's a bad idea as it would, for a lot of people, turn the game into an us-against-them situation ... which would then become very ugly indeed, for more reasons that one.
anox

Postby jorb » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:34 pm

anox wrote:I actually like the idea of finding arrowheads without ever seeing Native Americans. I like that sadness-tinged mystery.

Nice mental image. I like it. :)

That being said, my ambition is to eventually represent indians, but it would take some work to do them justice. Expansion material, I guess. :)
jorb

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations