Natives become avaible to play

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Natives become avaible to play

Postby TotalyMoo » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:57 am

aragaer wrote:Few dates:
Salem was founded in 1626, Boston was founded in 1630, certain opposition with natives resulted in a proper war in 1675.

So yeah, some native presence is actually expected.

We also already find certain native items laying around, so they're hiding somewhere!
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby Ass_Kraken » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:17 am

Loftar has said he plans them to be NPCs in IRC, but he likes to change his mind.
Ass_Kraken

Postby TeckXKnight » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:20 am

Ass_Kraken wrote:Loftar has said he plans them to be NPCs in IRC, but he likes to change his mind.

There has been a lot of thoughts on Natives from the devs at various points in time. In pre-alpha/alpha it was noted by Jorb that they'd love to have them be playable too but that was only a possibility after everything necessary was done first. It's still something that would be fun and exciting if it did come true.
TeckXKnight

Postby painhertz » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:00 am

Some random brainstorming i did in a certain forum that doesn't exist.... the idea was how to fill in the dead time between starting and full on town development, so i went nuts with the "Indian" thing.

None of it was fully thought or fleshed out, just stream of consciousness stuff.
"since i am in my 30s and could probably throw you across the room"

"Porky" Darwoth: Confusing reality and video games since 2012.......
painhertz

Postby Thomazml » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:14 am

Some very good ideas, painhertz! It's something to consider. The Natives should be better hermits/foragers than the pilgrims. It'd be an option to those who doesn't have time to play a lot, like me. But in a long run, the triving cities of English pilgrins should have more benefits rather than the smalls native's villages, of huts/teepees. So, to the forage/hunt/early tipe of game, the Natives could be better, as oposed to the pilgrims, and their's Settle/farm/manufacturing/middle-late tipe of game.
Thomazml

Postby kitzu_rus » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:38 pm

If this game pretends to be historical developers just have to add action with indians as bad guys with indian villages and indian raids at some point. Sooner or later.
kitzu_rus

Postby anfros » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:59 pm

I don't like the idea of having different factions in the game. One of the most important things in a sandbox is that no choice made in character creation should affect in what ways you can play the game later on.
anfros

Postby Sevenless » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:49 pm

kitzu_rus wrote:If this game pretends to be historical developers just have to add action with indians as bad guys with indian villages and indian raids at some point. Sooner or later.

Umm... how much history do you actually know? Natives were both good and bad, but in North America the majority of first contact was peaceful from the Natives. The wars that broke out were mostly instigated by Europeans, if not almost entirely so.

The majority of "injuns as bad guys" is historical fiction and leftover propaganda of the time.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Shoi » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:56 pm

I think a cosmetic effect vs bonus might fit a bit better. So like a leanto they both would start off with were a Pilgrim gets a Pilgrim's House, and Native would get a Simple Wigwam, same space inside, but the Wigwam simple stove would sit in the middle vs on the edge. Little thing like that I think would make players wanna play either or sides rather then having a bonus effect. That or maybe you have to buy a pass from the cash shop to play a Native? I've noticed alot of people asking for different things in the cash shop for the game.
Shoi

Postby kitzu_rus » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:53 am

Life in Salem is boring. No dangers, nothing to protect from. You live like a vegetable on a garden.
Natives just could bring some fun and challenges.
kitzu_rus

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations