Faith in the Gods

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Faith in the Gods

Postby Merowig » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:22 am

Sevenless wrote:
Ass_Kraken wrote:I kind of like the idea, if it were more christian based and had different faith effects. Courage/Safety is the only one I could see even considered happening.

Just so as not to offend various ethnic groups, I'd prefer we keep named religion out of this entirely. It's pretty obvious it's christiany based already, but I really don't want to see mormons fighting catholics personally. It'd be a PR disaster.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Sorry but in my ears this sounds like .... - Paradox has as well Crusader Kings published - including the ingame concepts of Jihad and Crusades - and you can crush and convert heretics ingame.
And with the Hearts of iron series you can play nazi Germany and crush/nuke the world.... and am not aware that this causing much of uproar....

As Salem plays in North America we just have Christian denominations - so the easily offended "religion of peace" is not even part of the game.
And yes interreligious/inter-denominational wars in Salem don't make sense as it would be ahistorical

But why not having denominations with different attributes/advantages/disadvantages?

e.g.
Amish can't fight other players - but get a bonus on agriculture/ anything related to textiles
normal Protestants get a bonus on trade (e.g. they can buy and sell at better prices at the stalls)
Catholics get a bonus in finding and fighting witches
Puritans learn at a faster speed
Mennonites get as well a bonus on agriculture / textiles but certain "technologies" skills are barred from them
etc.

regarding Mormons: Mormonism was founded/developed in the 1830s and 1840s - so shouldn't be part of the game imho

I don't see how this would offend anyone. And people who want to be offended will always find something ....
Merowig
Customer

Postby Superiodity » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:36 am

Merowig wrote:
e.g.
Amish can't fight other players - but get a bonus on agriculture/ anything related to textiles
normal Protestants get a bonus on trade (e.g. they can buy and sell at better prices at the stalls)
Mennonites get as well a bonus on agriculture / textiles but certain "technologies" skills are barred from them
Atheists get a huge study bonus and require only 1/4 the inspiration compared to religious people.

I added one for you.

But seriously, they should keep religion out of a game like this because people would argue religious points and be offended over things like "my religion in this game isn't well handled/portrayed incorrectly"
Superiodity

Postby Sevenless » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:17 am

Difference between crusaders kings and this is crusader kings is single player. There's a million ways that implication alone defuses the issue compared to Salem.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Ass_Kraken » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:26 am

Merowig wrote:But why not having denominations with different attributes/advantages/disadvantages?

e.g.
etc...

Cool, we get classes in a sandbox game.

No.
Ass_Kraken

Postby masau » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:30 am

Sevenless - you also forgot to mention that it is not Paradox that decides what to include or not include in the game but Jorb and Loftar. So the fact that some of Paradox's other games have religious aspects or are related to religion in one way or another means nothing in context of this game.
masau

Postby milonti » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:40 pm

Ass_Kraken wrote:Cool, we get classes in a sandbox game.

No.

Agreed.
milonti

Previous

Return to Ideas & Innovations