Faith in the Gods

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Faith in the Gods

Postby krikke93 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:43 pm

Have Faith in the Gods!

Introduction

*Haven and Hearth
Any Haven and Hearth players here might remember Personal Beliefs. I can say this system is related to it, but there are some changes/updates to it.

*What's it about?
The purpose of this is having advantages and disadvantages, up to you to decide which one is best.
To achieve this, you'll need to buy a skill (which will be fairly easy to get) and a shrine to bring your offers for the Gods.

Starting off

*The Skill
To start off, you'll need to buy the skill 'Faith in the Gods'. This will allow you to bring offerings to the Gods, build a shrine and craft special offerings.

*The Offerings
Next you'll need to find some offerings which can be a variety of stuff found in the wilderniss, created or even breeded.
For example, you could be able to offer a living lamb (when sheeps are added to the game), a living turkey, rare bones found in animals (such as a wishbone), statuettes you will be able to craft (can include The Golem of Prague and alot of new metal statuettes). Each one of these offerings can be better than others in a way that will be explained later.

*The Shrine
Finally, you'll need a shrine to give your offerings to the gods.
You can either build a shrine in your own church or use the (new) shrine in Boston's church. Using your own shrine will give you more abilities (explained later) and therefor people will be encouraged in building their own church.

How will it work?

*The Satisfaction Bar
When giving an offering to the shrine you will be filling the Satisfaction Bar of the Gods. Harder offerings will fill this bar faster than easier ones.
For example, a turkey will give much less Satisfaction than a lamb or an expensive metal statuette.
Having your own Shrine will give even more Satisfaction for the Gods.
Once the offer is made, the satisfaction bar will start filling itself (same as profiencies), this can take a while, but having your own shrine this will again be filled faster than Boston's shrine.
Same as filling your profiencies, using the same offer again and again will get you less Satisfaction.

*Using Satisfaction
Once your Satisfaction Bar is filled, you will be able to gain one Point in a certain amount of Faiths.
Gaining a point in one Faith will have advantages and disadvantages. Up to you to decide which way is the best to choose.
When you've made a decision, the Satisfaction Bar will be emptied and you'll have to fill it again to gain some more Faith.

The Different Faiths

There will be alot of faiths to choose between, with a max of 20 points each.
If you're using the shrine in Boston, you will only be able to get your Faiths to 10 points in stead of 20. Another reason to build your own church.

*Nature/Industry
Same as in Haven and Hearth, Nature will have advantages in Farming. Industry in Mining

*Tradition/Progress
Haven and Hearth related, this wil grant you more learning ability the more you go to Progress, but you will lose more profiencies when you get Ko'd.
You get ko'd alot and don't bother losing a little bit of learning ability? Then you'll be able to lose only 1 Profience when Ko'd.

*Courage/Safety
Courage will grant you from taking less damage from certain effects on you (like fear/reeling etc.) while Safety will give you more Blood.

*And more!
More to come from you guys and it's all up to the devs ofcourse! :)

Discuss!

Go ahaid and tell us what you like/dislike about this idea and how this can be improved even more! Maybe give us some more ideas?
Thanks for your attention!

Kind regards, Krikke :)
Last edited by krikke93 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wanna hear some epic music while playing this epic game?
Visit my YouTube Channel!
krikke93

Re: Faith in the Gods

Postby Tonkyhonk » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:48 pm

ever thought of why devs didnt put the equivalents of sliders in this game?
try checking threads in hnh forums about it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby krikke93 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:59 pm

Tonkyhonk wrote:ever thought of why devs didnt put the equivalents of sliders in this game?
try checking threads in hnh forums about it.

Well, I searched and found Jorb saying: "Rework/remove/change the personal beliefs, especially change/tradition."
So personal beliefs can be in it, but reworked. So I guess the change/tradition slider won't be in it. But others might be?

Source: http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/vie ... em#p299312
krikke93

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:10 pm

I'm all for a system that could be seen as the "white" magic to the "black" magic of witchcraft. I just don't want to see personal beliefs pop back up.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby krikke93 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:19 pm

It's not exactly the same. Maybe if they rework this so much it doesn't look like personal beliefs anymore?
I'm just here to give y'all a start off to discuss about
krikke93

Postby Potjeh » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:19 am

Gods?! You'd burn at stake for that in the good old RL Salem.
Potjeh

Postby krikke93 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:48 am

Well than.. okay, let's carry on playing Salem.
krikke93

Postby Merowig » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:42 am

You shall have no other gods to rival me.

Exodus 20,3

Yep Krikke93 you would e the first one to be burned at the stake.

If a religion / faith system would be implemented it has to remain historical - so that in the end you have to chose between religious denominations (Catholicism, Mennonites, Amish, etc) - and then perhaps introducing some characterisitics like people who are Amish can't fight back against other players ;)
For witches then as an alternative Satanism...

The only thing I see coming is the introduction of churches :)
Merowig
Customer

Postby Ass_Kraken » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:02 pm

I kind of like the idea, if it were more christian based and had different faith effects. Courage/Safety is the only one I could see even considered happening.
Ass_Kraken

Postby Sevenless » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:28 pm

Ass_Kraken wrote:I kind of like the idea, if it were more christian based and had different faith effects. Courage/Safety is the only one I could see even considered happening.

Just so as not to offend various ethnic groups, I'd prefer we keep named religion out of this entirely. It's pretty obvious it's christiany based already, but I really don't want to see mormons fighting catholics personally. It'd be a PR disaster.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations