Boston trading company auctioneers city trading-rights

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Boston trading company auctioneers city trading-rights

Postby Tonkyhonk » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:26 pm

ElCapitan1701 wrote:
Tonkyhonk wrote:the nearest town to your homestead is not always good for you.

Why not? As long as you stay on marketplace the city can`t be good or bad.

being able to gather people is power.
you dont always want to give such power to your enemy town.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:27 pm

I suppose that could work, but is there really any difference other than MAYBE cutting down the number of people in Boston at any one time? There could be quite an interesting game with trade caravans and such (and using guards for them... remember being the hauler and the picket man more than a few times in EVE).
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby baronbowden » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:39 pm

I think it would be pretty organic regarding the caravan and guard.

You don't really need to force the system onto people you really just need a market stall that can't be destroyed easily (incredibly hard to destroy) with a rent level so silver still leaves the system

Let me give an example.

Salem settler XYZ wants a huge order of trout. (120 pieces)

He would have two options

Boston - lets say the tax rate is 10% rounded up to 1 silver. (on the buyer and the seller)
Price of trout from a seller in boston is 6 gpc (5 ends up in the sellers pocket)

Settler A pays 720 silver + 120 in tax for an entire order price of 840.

Player Run Village Stall - 0 tax rate on both ends

Price of trout is 4 gpc (since it's a perfect world, the lack of tax gets passed onto the buyer)

Settler A Pays 420 total for the entire trade.

Will the settler risk being raided + the travel time there and back with his sled to save 420 silver??

This will become even more evident with large price items. Someone selling a high purity item for thousands the tax savings could be large enough they only go to player towns.... which will increase the ability for griefers and thieves to get in and do what they do best.
Last edited by baronbowden on Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baronbowden

Postby Potjeh » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:48 pm

Trade caravans and teleporting are mutually exclusive.
Potjeh

Postby ElCapitan1701 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:44 pm

Tonkyhonk wrote:being able to gather people is power.
you dont always want to give such power to your enemy town.

Well, you could outbid them or make their marketplace less profitable by raiding incoming merchants...

baronbowden wrote:Player Run Village Stall - 0 tax rate on both ends

Cities need to generate some income with the market stalls on their marketplace. Maybe having a marketplace would be interesting enough without income but with income cities are going to benefit from the development of their neighbourhood and so start to care about them. If there are more players in the neighbourhood more players will port into that city. Supplying them with goods will make them flourish - so more trade will be generated. Otherwise, if city doesn`t attract enough merchants, or doesn`t care for a good stock of goods itself people may leave and settle near a better city. Cities would get a direct impact to development of their neighbourhood.

Economy would also determine the price for city trades. A city won`t pay much more for the trading rights as they generate income with it.

baronbowden wrote:the problem though with the port El,

Depending on who set up the market it could suck SOO badly.. and then you are stuck for 2 weeks not being able to get to Boston.
B

Yeah - you are right about that - but: you can also get a bad spawn position right now. We also could make sure, that those cities have a stall of boston trading company selling the most common goods. But I`m quite sure cities will ensure having the most common goods available by itself.
ElCapitan1701

Previous

Return to Ideas & Innovations