In Game Chat System -Post Office/Town Chat

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

In Game Chat System -Post Office/Town Chat

Postby baronbowden » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:28 pm

Title says it all.

I really think the game is lacking when it comes to the ability to communicate.

I assume it is stemming from a design decision however it results in guilds/towns just turning to alternate chat room forums to communicate.

There should either be a postal service developed where you can build a mailbox and then afterwards receive letters through the Boston post (tax could be a piece of wood or whatever) and then the character offline or online will be able to check the mailbox and respond in kind.

This will encourage trade as well as keep anonymity with where homesteads are located, also is semi realistic

Town/Guild chat. It is needed to keep a real community working. Don't force people to go to skype or teamspeak or whatever alternative. Just build a good chat function in game.

Also make it movable so it doesn't block the bottom icons that sometimes need to be clicked.

Cheers,
B
baronbowden

Re: In Game Chat System -Post Office/Town Chat

Postby sabinati » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:54 pm

Mail would be nice. There's already a town chat? Check the custom clients, both of them have improved upon the default chat interface.
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:59 pm

Yeah, there is town chat already. People go to another method of communication for persistence and a way to stay in touch with people offline. Haven't played an MMO one where there hasn't been forums, voice services, or a Skype channel (hate Skype).
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby sabinati » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:22 pm

MagicManICT wrote: (hate Skype).

and I thought I was the only one.
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby TotalyMoo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:35 pm

sabinati wrote:
MagicManICT wrote: (hate Skype).

and I thought I was the only one.

.... What's wrong with skype? :'(

And yeah, the communication is a little lacking right now. There are UI improvements incoming though, so we'll see what happens after this.

ICT said something important though. Even if there is an ingame VOIP system, good chats, mailing and all the likes - people are still going to use forums, skype, teamspeak, ventrilo and all the likes. That's not an excuse to have a crappy ingame system, though.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby darnokpl » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:33 pm

Post office you say...

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/sho ... p=13842606 I was first mate:P
darnokpl

Postby baronbowden » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:28 pm

darnokpl wrote:Post office you say...

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/sho ... p=13842606 I was first mate:P

Damnit just damnit.

The only drawback i can see to having a postoffice... is that it may spawn a wave of people watching Kevin Costner in The Postman.. are you sure you want to take credit and have that hanging over your head??
baronbowden

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:59 pm

TotalyMoo wrote:Even if there is an ingame VOIP system,

Well, from my experience, if there's an in-game voice system, people will use it 95% of the time over 3rd party programs if it's decent. (DDO or EVE as an MMO example)
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby APXEOLOG » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:39 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Well, from my experience, if there's an in-game voice system, people will use it 95% of the time over 3rd party programs if it's decent. (DDO or EVE as an MMO example)

I can remember ~5 times when ingame VOIP was used in Dota 2, from around 150 games.
You can call me 'arh'. No needs to distort my nickname :)
APXEOLOG

Return to Ideas & Innovations