Employees

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Employees

Postby Dalorian » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:18 am

Hello all,

I would like to propose a new idea, perhaps its been suggested before, but I'm sure this is unique.

I would like to see a Hire window, that you can open when in Boston. This window allows you to hire someone for a set amount of time and money for a selection of work in a drop menu or check box type style. When you hire someone, and both agree to the deal in the hire window, you are both ported to the Employers homestead or settlement, and the employee begins work. The employee will not be able to attack the employer and vise versa. The employer is also given the option to instantly port the employee back to Boston for any reason. If the employer ports the employee, he still has to pay half the agreed amount for the job though. This is just an emergency thing in-case the guy is not working out or doing something bad. If the employee ports himself back to Boston, he gets paid based on the work done vs the work agreed on.

The drop boxes for work selection would include many types of work, such as digging, fencing, tree-cutting, gathering, etc. Once selected, another box corresponding with the selection will appear, asking you to choose the amount of work done in measurements of squares or trees or amounts or what have you.

When the Job is done, the employee is paid the agreed amount and ported back to Boston. A short timer will appear telling them they have however long to finish what their doing before they are ported back when the job is done. If the employer and employee wants to extend the work period, they can start a new agreement on the spot. All traces of maps and such are erased of the area if the employee was new to the area, so that the employee cant track where he was.

If the work is not done within an agreed amount of time, the employer and employee can amend the agreement if both agree to any changes proposed in the work menu. If no amendment is made and the work is not complete within the agreed time frame, the employee is ported back to Boston, receiving payment based on the work he did complete.

The work menu should keep track of the work done vs the work agreed on, and pay the employee for whatever work is done by the end of the time, within the agreed amount. Say the employee only finishes half the work by the time the timer runs out. He will only get paid half the agreed amount.

What do you guys think? Any other suggestions to make this work?

If you have no other suggestions to add to this, then please at least post whether you would like to have this option available or not :-)

Thanks for your Consideration of this idea :mrgreen:
Dalorian

Added in After:

- a player is auto ported to the Employers homestead in order to do the work. they are limited to how far they can travel outside of the homestead location. You could also have it so that they can not be harmed by any player or harm any other player while they are committed to a job.

- Anyone who is currently an Employee would have temporary trespassing rights until the job is complete or until they teleport or are teleported back to Boston.

- Before an employee can accept and port to the job they want to be hired for, they must remove all items form their inventory. They can only bring what tools are needed for the job. Any items still in the inventory when the employee is ported or ports back to Boston after or during the job, will automatically drop where they were. This way the teleporting aspect of this would not allow for people to transfer items or materials from place to place. There would also be a cost, Paid by the Employer, for hiring players on top of the wage they pay for the employee.
It was decided that this is redundant since people can quick transport by going to Boston anyways.

- To prevent theft of an employers items, and to allow an Employee to still be able to collect items for the employee or utilize employer supplied items, A special Employee/Employer use chest would have to be designed. This chest or box or whatever, would allow the employee to deposit and extract items so they can complete their work. It would be the responsibility of the employer to empty the chest and/or fill it with the necessary items or resources (Depending on the job) after or during work. This Chest could simply be a Special chest that anyone who has trespassing rights can access. Something like a common use chest.
Last edited by Dalorian on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Dalorian

Re: Employees

Postby Sevenless » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:41 pm

Job Title: Kill all the noobs near me
Requirements: Friendly attitude, bloodthirsty warcry, minimum 2 weeks noob killing experience.
Payment: Loot and 500s bonus upon completion of job

No it is not ok to contact poster with other requests.

Allowing teleports between towns had some serious repercussions on how war worked in haven, bad ones in my opinion. I really don't want to see that happen here, and this is why I believe inter-town teleports are heavily restricted. It's a feature you could say.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Dalorian » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:13 pm

The thing about this Work system is, that you could have it so that when a player is auto ported to the Employers homestead in order to do the work. they are limited to how far they can travel outside of the homestead location. You could also have it so that they can not be harmed by any player or harm any other player while they are committed to a job.

If you want a Job like the one you described above Sevenless, that would be Bounty hunting. You could setup a whole different option for that. Go to the Bounty board in Boston, and post bounties on peoples heads. As for use as a war tool. The employee would not gain any relevant information as to the location of the employers settlement unless directly told the location by the employer, or unless there are notable landmarks near by.
Dalorian

Postby Sevenless » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:26 pm

Honestly I'm against teleportation of any kind between towns. There's just too many restrictions you have to place on it to make it functional. That's a lot of bug testing and abuse before we get it up and running. And with random teleports there's always noobs in my area at least.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Dalorian » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:29 pm

I just really think that there needs to be an employee system in this game. As far as it goes now, No one would ever consider hiring anyone to do anything for them, due to the extreme risk of loosing your character if there was a hidden agenda. Everyone lives in fear in this game. I'm simply proposing a system that could work in order to bring more productivity to the more ambitious builders in this world while providing jobs and income to anyone with the skills. Ill admit that what I have posted isn't perfect, but with some work, It could benefit the entire game a lot.
Dalorian

Postby milonti » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:42 pm

While this is sort of a good idea, and has great intentions, the system you described is EXTREMELY complex from a coding point of view. You're trying to quantify and limit things that are normally eyeballed by humans. It'd require implementing a lot of new systems and counters in order to make it work properly. Maybe this could be a feature worked on way way WAAAYY down the line, but not now. This current form is not something I wish to see added to the game.

TLDR: Won't work right, -1
milonti

Postby Dalorian » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:43 pm

Another thing that should be considered is that before an employee can accept and port to the job they want to be hired for, they must remove all items form their inventory. They can only bring what tools are needed for the job. Any items still in the inventory when the employee is ported or ports back to Boston after or during the job, will automatically drop where they were. This way the teleporting aspect of this would not allow for people to transfer items or materials from place to place. There would also be a cost, Paid by the Employer, for hiring players on top of the wage they pay for the employee.
Dalorian

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:53 pm

The long and the short: instead of hiring someone, just trade at the market OR get a new town member. The point of the town is so everyone can share in the jobs nobody likes to do. Think of the trading portion as outsourcing work with quota based pay.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby ElCapitan1701 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:17 am

I like this idea, as it would encourage people to go to cities, where jobs are offered. But I also think it may be hard to implement. I can imagine this suggestion to be a final step developed in the next few years...until then we would get some of the benefits intented here with

this http://forum.salemgame.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=272 or that http://forum.salemgame.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=414 suggestion.
ElCapitan1701

Postby thl111 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:12 pm

I would back this idea as I,myself, had suggested before on paradox forum. And I hope it would be considered later on as a mean to help new players to have a sort of bearing in game and give land owners a workforce to expand. I suppose it would also help the economy.

Another thing that should be considered is that before an employee can accept and port to the job they want to be hired for, they must remove all items form their inventory. They can only bring what tools are needed for the job. Any items still in the inventory when the employee is ported or ports back to Boston after or during the job, will automatically drop where they were. This way the teleporting aspect of this would not allow for people to transfer items or materials from place to place. There would also be a cost, Paid by the Employer, for hiring players on top of the wage they pay for the employee.

May I suggest that employees can bring items in their inventory when ported to employer's land but not the other way around. Because, as far as my experience goes, some jobs like digging and paving require quite a lot of phlegm and people might need food unless the employers are willing to provide it.
We make sword stone for keeper and pull they do it and excalibur come out. have no make stone to for sword we make sword box for sword to put sword in for sword. -Moniker (Anarchy online)
thl111

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations