Gluttony system

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Gluttony system

Postby Valdahaz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:19 pm

Already know I'll get chewed out for this but whatever.

The gluttony system really needs to be reworked. Currently it is too easy to completely destroy your character without even knowing it. My story is an example of which.

A bright eyed pilgrim took his first steps into his wilderness lean-to. Eager to make it on his own, he gets as many foraging skills as possible and sets off. Suddenly he find a mysterious witch's hat mushroom. He quickly discovers they one shot his black bile in gluttony mode! Only later does he figure out the easy levels come at a price of never being able to level anything else because all the different levels are interconnected.

summary- I have 23 BB and 6 YB and now nothing is going to change that. I say that because I'm not strong enough to kill anything above a snake to get any better food or internationals.
At least create a way for me to destroy my progress and let me rework my skills. I will obviously keep play for beta testing, as I want the best game possible to hit the market. But I don;t think my character will be very playable at this point.
Valdahaz

Re: Gluttony system

Postby painhertz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:25 pm

"summary- I have 23 BB and 6 YB and now nothing is going to change that."

Wrong. Mushroom Pies alternating with wortbaked wortbites. enjoy.
"since i am in my 30s and could probably throw you across the room"

"Porky" Darwoth: Confusing reality and video games since 2012.......
painhertz

Postby staxjax » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:49 pm

From personal experience. I had 50yb, pre-purity node wipe, while my other stats were in the 20s. By the end of last world, I was able to get all of them above 60, living by myself as a hermit. Expand your skills and industries and you will be able to find plenty of food to raise your yb. Raising yb from 6 to 23 is no different then raising it from 23 to 30. There are plenty of foods to make that give yb without having to kill big game animals.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby ShadowAtlan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:22 pm

While I agree that it is possible, it would be really, really useful if there were a way to gluttony food (Devil's Wort, anyone?) specifically to LOWER your max humor, whatever it is. You still have to earn all the humors to get there, but at least offer some way to bring a stupidly high humor down to earth.
Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science.
ShadowAtlan

Postby Sevenless » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:34 pm

Although I agree with the above that anything under 40 is doable with effort (to fix that is), I'm not sure I like the current gluttony system.

Personally I enjoy the complexity, but a lot of people are *really* struggling with it. It's too complicated for everyone to easily take part in it. However, because Salem is very very heavily based around the gluttony system everyone is being forced to use it. It's leading to a fair amount of confusion and people just trying to ignore it where they can.

Other than completely reworking the system, it might not be a bad idea to make noob foods very obviously biased to one stat at a time that could get you to 20-40 stats alone without needing much else. Take shrooms on a stick for example, completely remove the BB component of it. An obvious YB food that people can start with before needing to learn the intricacies of the full system. Black bile is taken care of for pine forests ala witch caps, but roasted chestnuts are a candidate for reworking into a pure BB newbie food. Nearly everyone can get to some type of forest to get chestnuts. Blood is easily gotten right now with berries on a straw, and phlegm could do with a recipe perhaps that doesn't require hunting so early on. Roasted Wild Garlic perhaps.

But it's still a bandaid on the fact that the gluttony system is too complicated for a significant proportion of the population. I'd guess at least 10% of the population are clueless about it, and 50% or more have trouble with it.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby staxjax » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Lets dumb down a beautiful character improvement system to appeal to the masses, after all, this is what Paradox wants anyways.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby painhertz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:46 pm

staxjax wrote:Lets dumb down a beautiful character improvement system to appeal to the masses, after all, this is what Paradox wants anyways.

Agreed: Paradox, can we have our Haven & Hearth Devs back please? there's a far superior game that's been languishing in lag hell for a year or so now that we all would rather play.

painhertz

Postby jorb » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:32 pm

staxjax wrote:Lets dumb down a beautiful character improvement system to appeal to the masses, after all, this is what Paradox wants anyways.

There, there. That is not entirely fair to Paradox. ;)
jorb

Postby painhertz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:36 pm

lmfao

painhertz

Postby ElCapitan1701 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:52 am

painhertz wrote: Agreed: Paradox, can we have our Haven & Hearth Devs back please? there's a far superior game that's been languishing in lag hell for a year or so now that we all would rather play.

Speak for yourself, but I wouldn`t say "all". As for me, Salem is the only MMO I saw the last five years which cares about us crafter, has an appealing setting,isn`t streamlined and doesn`t think all players are stupid. As I understand, Salem may not be, what H&H community had in mind first, (and maybe also the devs would like to stay a bit more hardcore), nevertheless - Salem remains to be the best hope for many of us - and so are the devs.

Sevenless wrote:Although I agree with the above that anything under 40 is doable with effort (to fix that is), I'm not sure I like the current gluttony system.
Personally I enjoy the complexity, but a lot of people are *really* struggling with it. It's too complicated for everyone to easily take part in it. However, because Salem is very very heavily based around the gluttony system everyone is being forced to use it. It's leading to a fair amount of confusion and people just trying to ignore it where they can.

Well that`s no reason to simplify the whole system. It just needs a smoother intro and it could be simplified on lower stats-level. There is no need to have food which increases mixed stats on lower level. Just make one blood-food, one yb-food and give a hint on it in the tutorial. If players reach first stat@10 pop up a new help text explaining how gluttony now gets more complex.
ElCapitan1701

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations