Adjust Crime Regarding Picking up Containers

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Adjust Crime Regarding Picking up Containers

Postby staxjax » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:57 am

A good solution:

Make movement speed be determined by how many items are in the container. A full container would make you move the slowest. The criminal would be required to take more BB drain while carrying the container off of the claim, or be forced to remove some items from the container before being able to move it at a reasonable speed, which would proc the braziers and leave more scents.

As for complaints about carrying containers for non criminal purposes...well they arent really meant to be carried very far anyways, that is what a sled is for. If you want to move your container quickly, empty the contents of it first.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby Sevenless » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:29 am

See I don't get where you guys are coming from with that. Metal chests in the center of an adequately defended base are NOT easy to break. They have a lot of HP and you can focus a ton of brazier fire on anyone trying to bash the suckers.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby baronbowden » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:07 pm

yea seven nobody is arguing that point.

The issue becomes if you are robbing a claim based on BB drain right now unless the claim is massive it ALWAYS is optimal for a raider to pick up an entire movable container just move it off the claim and sort through at leisure.

This should not be the case. It should be optimal to punk a couple items out of the container and run. However as it stands that costs a couple BB vs just walking off a reasonable size claim drawing down barely any.

staxjax has a good solution that actually addresses it. I don't know how difficult it would be to implement that. BUT there should be some sort of IMMEDIATE BB drain from picking up a container or the criminal always has an optimal choice of action.

To be frank again sure long term everyone moves to metal container but the existing system essentially makes raiding noob claims much much too easy. (not that it isn't easy enough)
It shouldn't be hard, there should just be an equivalent BB drain from dragging entire containers out vs picking up the individual items
baronbowden

Postby Sevenless » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:15 pm

There is actually an immediate cost to picking up a container. It's 1 theft worth of drain though. What you're suggesting is that taking the container cost more BB drain.

The issue I have with that is that if it's not optimal to pick up and carry chests off the claim, what justification do we have for the higher tiers of storage that are tougher and can't be moved? It's a balancing issue really, but I do think a full chest should be cheaper to carry than taking the items out of it.

Would 5 thefts worth of bile drain be enough? Maybe 15 would be fairer (crates wouldn't be worth carrying), but that's a very large and immediate BB drain. It would be very hard for raiders to actually judge how much BB they're going to need to exit.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby baronbowden » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:20 pm

true. It is difficult to say exactly how much is the right amount.

I would posit though that it is much too low now.

To summarize though it could be any of the following

1) Immediate drain of x
2) Increased drain rate vs normal walking on a claim
3) Slower walk speed of x so that it drains more anyways.

My personal opinion is it would be easier to program (I am a banker not a computer programmer so I may be incorrect) an increase in immediate drain of x, which is why I advocate that.

Agreed it probably shouldn't be as much as if you took every item, but it should approximate that.. otherwise as a thief leave the items and run off with what you want.

Make it an actual choice vs a given its best to pick up the container.
baronbowden

Previous

Return to Ideas & Innovations