Adjust Crime Regarding Picking up Containers

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Adjust Crime Regarding Picking up Containers

Postby baronbowden » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:02 pm

Just a thought. Right now people can pick up containers from your claim and move them off and then take everything in the container without generating individual crimes for each item.

The mechanism should be adjusted so that the containers that can be moved can still be taken BUT by picking up the container you generate evidence for every single item in the barrel.

Thoughts?
baronbowden

Re: Adjust Crime Regarding Picking up Containers

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:59 pm

Don't use containers that can be picked up when storing items--baskets, urns (the clay container), baskets and wood boxes. Also, build fences/walls and defensive turrets (braziers/torch posts).

I seriously doubt this is a bug and most likely belongs in the ideas section. If it doesn't get moved beforehand, it'll get moved if we can get a dev comment on it.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby baronbowden » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:06 pm

LOL flippant but not really the point.

I am not saying movable containers shouldn't be able to be stolen, just that the scent left from doing it isn't adequate.

It seems like a workaround the game mechanics to be able to pick up entire containers and not leave enough scent to pick up a trail.
baronbowden

Postby Tonkyhonk » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:14 pm

well, there was a bug that you could move a container off a claim without larceny a while ago and it got fixed.
so, i kinda expect this to be working how it should be. and if you are suggesting that picking up a container should leave the same numbers of evidences as the items inside, then as MagicMan said, not this section but ideas section you should go to.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby Potjeh » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:35 pm

Moved, since it's more of a suggestion than a bug report.

And yeah, I agree that picking stuff up should count as theft.
Potjeh

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:50 pm

baronbowden wrote:LOL flippant but not really the point.

I wasn't trying to be. I really don't know how well versed anyone is in the game mechanics, so I can make two assumptions: people generally know as much as I do or people don't generally know as much as I do. If I don't know a poster, I prefer the latter as it's easier to ignore something you already know than to try and puzzle out something you don't know that someone eluded to on a forum. The point, now, of having a container that can't be picked up and hauled around is for relatively secure storage of your belongings (as I see it).

I am not saying movable containers shouldn't be able to be stolen, just that the scent left from doing it isn't adequate.

It seems like a workaround the game mechanics to be able to pick up entire containers and not leave enough scent to pick up a trail.

I do see your point here, and there is some oversight on this, I think. I don't know exact costs of theft (in biles). But as for leaving scents, how are you going to distinguish and collect 10 or even 100 scents if they all have the exact same (x, y) coordinate?
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby baronbowden » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:56 pm

Sorry, agreed it isn't only a scent issue. This may be my noobness but I was under the impression that every clue for each crime gave you extra time to track a criminal?

It just seems that the drawback to picking up a container and moving it wholesale should probably be greater than going into it and stealing one item (whereas now it is less as far as I can tell)

If it was a stiffer penalty for picking up the container and moving it (in BB, scent mechanic, drain - however it gets done) the thief would have to weigh the pros and cons. Do I just steal the good inspirational or do I risk draining my stats and someone finding me

Magic, I probably do know much less than you (fair assumption) but I do have immobile storage;)

I still think it shouldn't be a no-brainer in game terms to just pick up the entire container and waltz off... Anytime I have been B&Ed they are after my valuables not the laundry hamper that might contain some pocket change they can sort through at a later date;)
baronbowden

Postby Potjeh » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:04 pm

Well, you do walk slower when carrying stuff, which makes you take more brazier fire.
Potjeh

Postby Sevenless » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:37 pm

The un-movable containers like cabinets and metal chests are more expensive specifically because they provide protection against this. It is now an intended game mechanic.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby JeffGV » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:53 am

Frankly, having a costly "protection" (they cost a lot and they're fairly easy to break...) for a workaround of the mechanics don't seem much fair for defenders.
Those containers can't be lifted, sure, so everything they contains must be manually moved from those. But that doesn't mean that one should steal entire chests and boxes with minimal drawbacks.
JeffGV

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations