Some ideas

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Some ideas

Postby weirdg » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:43 am

First off I'd like to say that I really enjoy this game, and I'm already addicted. I can see enormous potential for the future, the possibilities are endless.

I've been taking some notes while I play. I haven't really thought any of this through and you may do with these as you wish. Some of these have probably been posted in the past, and I apologize if someone feels I'm trying to take credit. I'm not looking for credit, I just want the game to get better and even more fun for everyone.

New items:

-Leather armor, with defensive stats
-Wooden weapons, spear (flint & sharpened wood)
-Archery, with bows
-Furniture, preferably useable, people can sit around a table and hang out in a house.
-More buildings, preferably very hard to construct, needs loads of resources to encourage teamwork.
-More clothing options and craftable DYES!
-Chisel or Hammer used to Chip Stone.
-Gold, silver, jewels, diamonds, rare finds from mines.
-Saw or Hammer-tool for Carpentry
-Wheelbarrow for moving large amounts of stuff
-More Potions, heal, cure etc.
-Tombstones where players have died, permanent can be destroyed, but very tough. Text should read (if you have Literacy), 'Here lies (playername)’. Perhaps make them liftable so people can make cemetaries.

New skills:
-Trapping, would be a neat skill used to catch like rabbits and small game new tool, Trap, need to use bait, like berries or whatever. Listed under Small Game Hunting -> Trapping
-Archery, self-explanatory
-Beverage-making, making juice and/or lemonade from berries and fruits.
-Jewelry, for making necklaces, earrings and such with the rare metals.
-Alchemy, for making potions.

IMHO:

-Grass & Leaves are too rare
-Tooltip the items with all their stats in the crafting recipe-windows
-Burning fireplace/coal bundle should display remaining burning time when right-clicked. Just like when they've burned to ashes (with meters).
-All kinds of in-game clothing available from the in-game Cash Shop.
-Tree ecology, trees drop seeds and replenish themselves. Seeds can be collected and planted. Seeds will grow into full trees in RL week or weeks.
-Mouseover a study-item should not only display a yellow bar ontop of the blue and grey bar, but should display its bar after the grey/blue bar .
-Water, or beverages, people need to drink more than we need to eat. Could be an entire tree of technology as well. Water, Lemonade (made from berries and water), Beer, Whiskey or Spirits. and a skilltree to come with it.
-Resting (sitting) at a lit fireplace will replenish Humours faster?
-Sitting, Standing, Lying down, Jumping would be nice.
-Right-clicking a fire or a whittler's bench should bring up some crafting window or acknowledge that the items is being used.
-Tools & Animation for Chipping Stone
-Day/Night cycle, dangerous animals/monsters come out at Night, but are afraid of the light (yeah I admit, it’s a little Minecrafty).
-Seaons, summer, autumn, spring, winter. Different seasonal effects for different biomes.
-Weather, rain, snow etc
-Animals make dens, from where they spawn, instead of just random locations?
-Transparent windows, option
-Toggleable in-game eventlog

//Gunnarsson
weirdg

Re: Some ideas

Postby TeckXKnight » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:51 am

weirdg wrote:-Grass & Leaves are too rare

I'm legitimately curious why you feel grass is too rare?
TeckXKnight

Postby ShadowTani » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:05 pm

TeckXKnight wrote:I'm legitimately curious why you feel grass is too rare?

I was thinking the same! xD Otherwise I saw many good ideas. :3 An armor system could introduce three new technologies as well, like for light armors (armors made of leather etc.), medium armors (chain mail armors etc.) and heavy armors (full plate armors).
ShadowTani

Postby weirdg » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:06 pm

Ok, so maybe Grass isn't too rare. It might be related to my home being deep in a forest biome and I have to travel for 10 minutes to get a few grass-straws, but hey, com'on it's Grass. It should be everywhere, no?
weirdg

Postby TotalyMoo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:20 pm

weirdg wrote:Ok, so maybe Grass isn't too rare. It might be related to my home being deep in a forest biome and I have to travel for 10 minutes to get a few grass-straws, but hey, com'on it's Grass. It should be everywhere, no?

Grass does grow in a lot of places but I think you overestimate it. I would like to see more grass in orange/yellow biomes though.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:10 pm

Ever been in a thick forest? There's little grass to be found.

One of my complaints has been the generation of the grassland and forest biomes. The general grasslands and forests are too big. Where there's a small bit of forest or grassland in the middle, it tends to be a bit too small to really find anything there that's unique, and often don't have more than one or two of the common items. Walking 10 minutes to another biome wouldn't be so bad. Having to go 30-60 minutes to find something different seems to be a bit much. Thus, the problem isn't "not enough grass" but "not enough variation in biomes."
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby loftar » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:44 am

weirdg wrote:-Day/Night cycle, dangerous animals/monsters come out at Night, but are afraid of the light (yeah I admit, it’s a little Minecrafty).

Since this is suggested once in a while, I hope more people will read this post:

Day/night cycle won't happen in Salem, since the daylight is controlled by civilization. Wander out into the less civilized wilderness and the sun will start setting; and the idea is, indeed, that such areas be populated by different creatures (though they haven't been implemented yet).
loftar

Postby jorb » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:52 am

loftar wrote:though they haven't been implemented yet

... or have they? ^^
jorb

Postby Schro » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:55 am

jorb wrote:
loftar wrote:though they haven't been implemented yet

... or have they? ^^

AAAAH D:

I hope, you'll make the darkness very agressive. By that, I mean that just a few leantos and a small claim won't do much against it.

Will the darkness have several levels of danger?
Schro

Postby APXEOLOG » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:20 am

Schro wrote:Will the darkness have several levels of danger?

LvL 10 Darkness Creature: Evil Wooden Sign
You can call me 'arh'. No needs to distort my nickname :)
APXEOLOG

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations