Lack of interest between arrival in boston and wilds

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Lack of interest between arrival in boston and wilds

Postby baronbowden » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:15 pm

I think one of the issues that should be looked at is the area around boston.

No snakes there etc. Noob friendly etc. Because of how many people are there due to it being the only teleport location it seems to always be farmed out for noobs.

I think low tier items spawn rate should be drastically (or at least slightly) increased just in boston so that new chars can get to a basic level and then move out.

When I started I think I spent an hour or two just looking for a damn maple leaf.

Now when I log in around 6 am EST there are tons.. when i come back at 5:30 barely any.
baronbowden

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:21 pm

baronbowden wrote:I think low tier items spawn rate should be drastically (or at least slightly) increased just in boston so that new chars can get to a basic level and then move out.

When I started I think I spent an hour or two just looking for a damn maple leaf.

Now when I log in around 6 am EST there are tons.. when i come back at 5:30 barely any.

The problem is the spawning mechanic used (unless it was changed and nobody has reported that is has been). Items only spawn when a map section loads. These sections stay loaded in memory for so long before being unloaded. This means stuff only spawns every so often. I believe that it's 10 to 15 minutes.

Trees (for maple leaves) are on a completely different mechanic. Trees regrow their products based on a mechanic called "decay" which occurs at random tiles on a regular basis. When one of these decay ticks hits the tree, it resprouts what has been taken. This can be very slow for something like maple leaves--a week or more.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Tonkyhonk » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:03 pm

baronbowden wrote:I think low tier items spawn rate should be drastically (or at least slightly) increased just in boston so that new chars can get to a basic level and then move out.

actualy, spawning in boston center and moving out to the wild would not take so long if you dont try to find maple leaves.
i made a new char right after the mmorpg or tentonhammer keys giveaway, and after walking away from boston for a while soon enough led me to 2 flints which were good enough to make a maracass and to buy me survival skill.
however, here are 2 issues.
1. for some reason, most new players are obssessed with maple leaves too much and wouldnt try finding something else.
2. the new tutorial encourages you to talk to the crier with beep so eagerly to spawn in the wilderness, but doing so actually takes away your option of spawning to your friends place.

as for 1, ive been trying to convince devs to think differently about leaves, but im no good and in vain. (maybe i should try and convince potjeh and sabinati first.)
as for 2, many ppl have been suggesting ideas to solve this, but in vain, again so far. oh well. :twisted:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby baronbowden » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:09 pm

my memory might be off but I believe the reason I was looking for a darn maple leaf so bad was because that was what the tutorial had told me to do.

Maybe we change the tutorial so it covers the 2 starting inspirationals + quickly talks about smooth stones
baronbowden

Postby Ketu » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:13 pm

baronbowden wrote:my memory might be off but I believe the reason I was looking for a darn maple leaf so bad was because that was what the tutorial had told me to do.

Maybe we change the tutorial so it covers the 2 starting inspirationals + quickly talks about smooth stones

It sounds like some people are wandering around on characters created a while ago that required more to get free wilderness spawns.
Several things have changed since then - so that now in literally 5 minutes you can create a new character, find/make and study any 1 item and get a free wilderness spawn.
Ketu

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:48 pm

baronbowden wrote:my memory might be off but I believe the reason I was looking for a darn maple leaf so bad was because that was what the tutorial had told me to do.

What tutorial? Link, please. Funny thing is... people complained the exact same way about smooth stones prior to the release of the Childish Things skill.

Salem is a game of forethought and planning. It's a lot to ask new players, but one should look beyond the basic information presented in any format and question why it's given.

Oh, and that's three (3) starting inspirationals: Grass Whistle, Rock Maracas, and Maple Mustache Masque. You also have that which can be foraged--Smooth Stones, Aged Driftwood, and Beautiful Seashell (just to name the ones that can be generally found within the limits of Boston). I would have to check the requirements on Survival Skills to make sure those all provide something needed.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby baronbowden » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:21 pm

it feels like forever ago I was that noob. Will create an alt tonight to remember.

I am sure though a tool tip at the beginning tells you your first step is to make a masque or some such thing..

It couldn't have been from watching gamerzach's youtube videos non stop for days before I got my key:P
baronbowden

Postby Steve » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:42 pm

baronbowden wrote:... I am sure though a tool tip at the beginning tells you your first step is to make a masque or some such thing. ...

I made a new character 3 days ago (cause I had horribly screwed up the humours of my first one) and it tells you to find or to craft an inspirational. That's okay I think.

It's still so that the time needed to get started will vary wildly for different players cause how soon you can find anything close to Boston entirely depends on how many new characters have been made in the hour or so before. No problem if you're the only new one, however when just 10 newbies started the areas one can reach from Boston without swimming is picked clean.
Steve

Previous

Return to Ideas & Innovations