Make water essential in the wild.

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: BAN fast travel -if water in bucket

Postby ShadowAtlan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:13 pm

You seem to think it takes something away from gameplay that people can, currently, live on a mountain or in a desert without having to travel for, trade for, go to great lengths and extremes to get something as simple as water. It did have a great impact on society, sure. But in Haven.. Wells were very common. I'm going to say it's likely wells will be common in Salem as well. You aren't patching up some exploit at all by disallowing boston transport and allowing wells, because wells far away will STILL be better to go to (carry one bucket and 4 barrels on a sled). You think that traveling to Boston to collect water is somehow a luxury, it isn't. It's a greatly inferior method of getting water, and only used in a few situations. If it were, with enough work, possible to make a well anywhere, or to build barrels to collect rainwater (if we had rain), or if it were possible to dig out trenches to move water around.. Then I might go "Okay, no boston transport", because it would then Reward hard work (the building of water collection things) even in extreme situations. What you propose doesn't add to gameplay; it takes away from it. It makes large tracts of land unlivable.
Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science.
ShadowAtlan

Postby Onionfighter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:57 pm

New England isn't exactly a desert. Random changes that make the game harder should also make the game more interesting and fun. I can't see that being the effect of this suggestion.
Onionfighter

Postby ElCapitan1701 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:48 am

I wonder, why I can`t fast travel carrying a chest, but i can when carrying a deer. Is there a logical explanation for that or is it just to make hunter easy living?
ElCapitan1701

Postby Haxzploid » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:00 pm

ShadowAtlan wrote:You aren't patching up some exploit at all by disallowing boston transport and allowing wells, because wells far away will STILL be better to go to

I didn't think i was patching up some exploit really.

I just think it would fit the game to put more emphasis on the need for water. (i would love if spots for wells were common and perhaps a bit more rare in certain biomes)

Being able to fast travel with water from Boston simply ruins the need for a water supply near your homestead. Now if you could pay to have the water shipped to your homestead, that would be something else.
Haxzploid

Postby painhertz » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:05 pm

Why is this dumb thread not locked? lol
"since i am in my 30s and could probably throw you across the room"

"Porky" Darwoth: Confusing reality and video games since 2012.......
painhertz

Postby Tonkyhonk » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:23 pm

Haxzploid wrote:I just think it would fit the game to put more emphasis on the need for water. (i would love if spots for wells were common and perhaps a bit more rare in certain biomes)

if you wanna talk about realistic game-play, you may want to put more emphasis on the potential high purity water in the near future, if devs are to implement such feature (like purifying water by well or soil or w/e) into this game, that is. then, we would be under the necessity of water transportation. i dont think we want to throw away that option yet unless devs officially announce that we would never get such feature.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby Haxzploid » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:49 pm

painhertz wrote:Why is this dumb thread not locked? lol

Imagine having an unlimited stone quarry and and unlimited lime quarry and an unlimited mine in Boston.

Would you want that? Or do you find it suitable for the game that you need to find such places in the wilderness?

Why should it be different for water?

I really honestly fail to see why this thread is dumb.
Haxzploid

Postby painhertz » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:52 pm

Haxzploid wrote:

Imagine having an unlimited stone quarry and and unlimited lime quarry and an unlimited mine in Boston.

Would you want that? Or do you find it suitable for the game that you need to find such places in the wilderness?

Of course you do, it's your thread, but rest assured that it is.

User was warned for this post.
"since i am in my 30s and could probably throw you across the room"

"Porky" Darwoth: Confusing reality and video games since 2012.......
painhertz

Postby Haxzploid » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:12 pm

painhertz wrote:
Haxzploid wrote:

Of course you do, it's your thread, but rest assured that it is.

Yeah but would you? Would you like to have the above in Boston?
Haxzploid

Postby Potjeh » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:25 pm

Take it easy, Pain.
Potjeh

Previous

Return to Ideas & Innovations