No More Invisible Boundary Boxes!

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

No More Invisible Boundary Boxes!

Postby Onionfighter » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:12 pm

Cliffs:
When you start off trying to terraform away a cliff, there is a period where it just looks like a steep slope, but is treated mechanically like a cliff (you must climb it to pass). Not being able to see what is a hill and what is a cliff is quite frustrating, both for terraforming and for getting around. It also breaks the immersion.
There also needs to be a better way to terraform cliffs.

Signposts
When a built object is incomplete, all you see is its signpost. This is the same signpost for houses as for fireplaces. It is much more difficult to maneuver around an object that you cannot see. There should be some kind of indication of where the bounding box lies. I don't really care if it is an actual graphic or a box or a shadow, anything would be an improvement. Also, being able to see the bounding box would allow one to tell if the object is properly placed or not.
Onionfighter

Re: No More Invisible Boundary Boxes!

Postby ShadowAtlan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:20 pm

I would like a skill, some high tier ability perhaps, maybe even a special tool, that allows one to actually /create/ ridges, though I can see the potential hurdles of, climbing high ridges being extremely difficult and the ability to, with enough manpower, ridge in an entire camp and make it impossible for them to leave. Or to simply create "natural" walls that could stretch any distance.
Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science.
ShadowAtlan

Postby sabinati » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:49 pm

Onionfighter wrote:Signposts
When a built object is incomplete, all you see is its signpost. This is the same signpost for houses as for fireplaces. It is much more difficult to maneuver around an object that you cannot see. There should be some kind of indication of where the bounding box lies. I don't really care if it is an actual graphic or a box or a shadow, anything would be an improvement. Also, being able to see the bounding box would allow one to tell if the object is properly placed or not.

A shadow or cleared land tile (distinct from the current dirt/clay tile) or foundation would be really nice.
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby Potjeh » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:26 am

I think a rope fence along the edge would look nice.
Potjeh

Postby sabinati » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:45 am

you mean like, string and stakes like is used to measure and level? or do you mean a tall fence with actual ropes?
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby Potjeh » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:10 am

Strings and stakes.
Potjeh

Return to Ideas & Innovations