Silver/Vendor Items are Overpriced

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Silver/Vendor Items are Overpriced

Postby ShadowTani » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:57 am

painhertz wrote:I sell one Savage charm, get 35 silver and you "charge" $2.00 American for 20 silver? **** man, hook up a real money trading section Ala Diablo 3 and my ass could live on just playing this game.......

Even if they don't (even better, they shouldn't, then some players will be taking the money that should have been going to the devs) this is the exact reason why having the in-game currency too close to the real-life currency is bad for both the players and for Seatribe. @_@

They could regulate the current market values a bit more, but it's a limit to how far they can push that without making the game frustrating for the players. The best would be to establish a higher ratio between the in-game currency and the real-life currency.

My best suggestion to achieve this would be to have a cash-shop currency (for example gold) and sell the fancy stuff for gold instead of silver, then have a currency trade system where the gold you buy can for example be traded to 10 silver, but it will cost 20 silver to buy a gold - then Seatribe will be able to keep a higher ratio without risking to flood the market with silver. Also, keeping a cash-shop currency means the devs won't need to micro-manage the in-game market so closely, they will only need to regulate the gold to silver and silver to gold rates that way.

Anyway, market values that can be regulated IMO are lower sell value for Savage Charms (10 or 20 silver would be better), higher price for Nails (For example 45 silver - and yes, I'm serious, a metal bar cost 200 and give you 5 nails, it should be cheaper to buy a metal bar and make the nails yourself). On the other hand, the rattler Antidote is too expensive though. Regardless, the best effect would be from increasing the cost of expanding your claim and maintaining a town (a town can be purchased and maintained by a hermit at the moment, that can't be intentional).

These things would create a much more balanced and stable economy in my opinion. :3
ShadowTani

Postby lalllall » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:26 am

I really dont hope they lower prices that will just result in even more pay to win stuff. Right now the prices are good, if you want a real advantage you will have to pay up loads of money.
lalllall

Postby ElCapitan1701 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:48 pm

Every MMO I know you get someting about 100 silver per 1$...so this game feels like 10x expansive as others. I suggest to change the ration 1:100 but also multiply all prices by 10.

I still think this business model will fail. I suggest to backhold some stuff to make it possible to change to another business model if this one fails.
ElCapitan1701

Postby ShadowTani » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:14 pm

ElCapitan1701 wrote:I suggest to change the ration 1:100 but also multiply all prices by 10.

I've been vouching for a minimum ratio of 1:100 too, but multiplying prices with 10 would ruin the current economical balance in the game I'm afraid. :/ If the concern is a way to deal with a possible flood of silver see my suggestion for a cash-shop currency with different buy and sell conversion rates at the top of this page - most MMO's have a different cash shop currency for that reason. :3
ShadowTani

Postby Sevenless » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:21 am

ShadowTani wrote:
ElCapitan1701 wrote:I suggest to change the ration 1:100 but also multiply all prices by 10.

I've been vouching for a minimum ratio of 1:100 too, but multiplying prices with 10 would ruin the current economical balance in the game I'm afraid. :/ If the concern is a way to deal with a possible flood of silver see my suggestion for a cash-shop currency with different buy and sell conversion rates at the top of this page - most MMO's have a different cash shop currency for that reason. :3

Different cash shop currencies only work if we have a different cash shop that is say vanity only. That doesn't exist yet.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Alxe » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:39 am

Sevenless wrote:Different cash shop currencies only work if we have a different cash shop that is say vanity only. That doesn't exist yet.

Yes, that's true. But it's also the purpose of a beta. Better now than ever. I'm sticking to the idea of a store currency more and more as time passes. Something that could be held account wide, and when purchased something, stuck to a character and it's destiny (if death, loss).

Writings could also be sold there, if Seatribe implements dyes for clothing, some "special, unique" dyes that are only avaible at the Store. Maybe focus on the theme of imported/luxury valuables.

Also, the possiblity of exchanging silver:gold like in some stores (soon to be Guild Wars' one, where you can swap gold for gems and the other way around) would remove the exclusivity of the store but still have the idea of paying charming enough to get some monies.
Alxe

Postby TotalyMoo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:02 am

A lot of very valid ideas and opinions being posted here. I just want to poke in and say that everything you say is behind monitored and we really appreciate the feedback. Keep it going!
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby painhertz » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:16 am

Big Brother is watching......
"since i am in my 30s and could probably throw you across the room"

"Porky" Darwoth: Confusing reality and video games since 2012.......
painhertz

Postby ShadowTani » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:57 am

Sevenless wrote:Different cash shop currencies only work if we have a different cash shop that is say vanity only. That doesn't exist yet.

Cash level products are apparently on the way; we probably won't get to see those products in the beta, but the cash system needs to be in place before release.

However, whether they sell items for a cash shop currency in-game or have a separate shop for it is purely an aesthetic thing. If they allow trade between the in-game currency and cash-shop currency the content doesn't necessarily need to be separated, it purely depends on what design the developers would want to pursue. Keeping it in-game will advertise the products better (sure to tempt some into investing in the game that might otherwise not have invested). Keeping it in a separate store will on the other hand be cleaner and easier to organize. :3
ShadowTani

Postby JeffGV » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:09 pm

ShadowTani wrote: higher price for Nails (For example 45 silver - and yes, I'm serious, a metal bar cost 200 and give you 5 nails, it should be cheaper to buy a metal bar and make the nails yourself).

Imho, you're wrong here. The point of buying bars is that you can do various things with them; nails are just those, nails.
A change like the one you suggested would make it possible for people to buy bars from the stall, make nails and sell those to other players with a profit (they can already do this with the sabre, actually, and i find this quite wrong as well).
JeffGV

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations