Safe storage in Boston (or not having them at all)

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Safe storage in Boston (or not having them at all)

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:57 pm

Slim wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:Why cash only?

To generate recurring income for the game (like a $6/mo sub) without giving players a 'pay to win' advantage.

Pay for the convenience of not having to mess with a keymaster and coin alts.

That would actually create this sort of system. "Pay to win" means I have advantages over you because I paid for something you can't (or won't) pay for. To eliminate that, you'd have to create a method that allowed everyone access the resource in some manner. An in-game token available on the Company Store would be one way, but the flow of silver needs tighter control first before that would generate revenue flow.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Superiodity » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:24 pm

They could introduce a gold coin or something that represents real money, and have the storage cost a certain amount of gold coins per (insert duration here) or pay with silver but at 2x/3x the cost of the gold coin.
Superiodity

Postby Slim » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:41 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
Slim wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:Why cash only?

To generate recurring income for the game (like a $6/mo sub) without giving players a 'pay to win' advantage.

Pay for the convenience of not having to mess with a keymaster and coin alts.

That would actually create this sort of system. "Pay to win" means I have advantages over you because I paid for something you can't (or won't) pay for. To eliminate that, you'd have to create a method that allowed everyone access the resource in some manner. An in-game token available on the Company Store would be one way, but the flow of silver needs tighter control first before that would generate revenue flow.

I am trying to find some things that we can pay for with cash that people would find useful, but not overpowering in game. Hopefully it will be something we would want to continue paying for every so often.

As many people have stated - they will never buy silver and see no need to do so - since it can easily be earned in game through selling to the company store or trading items to players.

If we can pay for safe deposit boxes with silver, that does not generate revenue for the game unless people buy silver with cash.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Slim
Customer

Postby krikke93 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:56 pm

Superiodity wrote:They could introduce a gold coin or something that represents real money, and have the storage cost a certain amount of gold coins per (insert duration here) or pay with silver but at 2x/3x the cost of the gold coin.

This means the gold coin must be 2x/3x as expensive as silver coins. This way a slot will cost either not much silver (people will only buy with silver they get ingame) or alot of $ (people will still buy with silver they get ingame because it would be too expensive).

So it would be better to only buy slots with gold coins or make it only available to silver.
Wanna hear some epic music while playing this epic game?
Visit my YouTube Channel!
krikke93

Postby Superiodity » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:04 pm

krikke93 wrote:
Superiodity wrote:They could introduce a gold coin or something that represents real money, and have the storage cost a certain amount of gold coins per (insert duration here) or pay with silver but at 2x/3x the cost of the gold coin.

This means the gold coin must be 2x/3x as expensive as silver coins. This way a slot will cost either not much silver (people will only buy with silver they get ingame) or alot of $ (people will still buy with silver they get ingame because it would be too expensive).

So it would be better to only buy slots with gold coins or make it only available to silver.

It could be 5x/10x the cost of the gold coin it was just an example but either way just to assume that everyone will use silver rather than the gold coins is a bit ridiculous, in a game where people are too lazy to collect hay so pay others to gather it for them there will always be people that will rather use real money than collect silver.

There's already plenty of people that have bought silver using real money despite the fact that it's quite easy to make so you shouldn't underestimate the "I want something and I want it now" generation.
Superiodity

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:31 am

Slim wrote:I am trying to find some things that we can pay for with cash that people would find useful, but not overpowering in game. Hopefully it will be something we would want to continue paying for every so often.

Two things:

1. Vanity items

2. A negative silver generation policy: the game takes away more silver than is generated. Say that players earn 1000 silver per day from selling items to the company store, then there needs to be, say, 1050 silver taken out of the game (for a very modest 5% need in purchased silver). Thing is... we're still under development with a lot of content to add. This really needs to be something that is balanced at release, not right now.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby tnj2010 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:11 pm

I'm sure there are a few people like me who won't spend any real cash until the game is released to the public. That being said once it becomes open beta I will glad spend a few bucks a month for a security box. :)
tnj2010

Postby Arkanus » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:19 pm

Well this can be done with a simple idea(got some parts of it from other people who posted here):

1) Make the Safe Storage in Boston with 5 slots to start free for all.
2) Make it possible have improvements to get more slots, but for it the person need buy it with a special item called Golden Coin.
3) Golden Coin would be bought in Salem Store(need make math for a good price) and it would be get from Banker in Boston.
4) Make the Golden Coin tradable, in this way people who want could sell them to others players inside game. This would make a way to people who can't pay real money to get it and still generate a money to maintain the game going.
Arkanus

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:39 pm

While many of us have considered this, I believe the store is working the way Paradox is saying it has to work for various reasons. The question of a premium currency or token has come up in the past and more or less been shot down.
MagicManICT

Previous

Return to Ideas & Innovations