Automatically create a chest on logout position...

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Automatically create a chest on logout position...

Postby ElCapitan1701 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:38 pm

milonti wrote:This is not a good idea from a game design or development perspective.

First, this will clog the server with a lot of unneeded item generation and degeneration.

Agreed. Don't know how much impact on performance it would been as it is one more db entry (the chest) and some items changing their locationID.

Second, this will screw over anyone thats trying to avoid a PvP raider type when they log out. All their items are going to be forfeit.

I haven`t played H&H, but I assume more pvp type players have been securing their items by alt chars then the crafter type of player.

Third, It ENCOURAGES making alts to have free storage. A free chest for just making a character? Sign me up. At least theres a little bit of normal trade danger when transferring things to an alt.

You are already getting free storage, if you create a alt char.There is no gain. It discourages alt-chars as your items are no longer safe.

Another way of solving this issue would be to take money for char slots - as it is in other f2p mmos already.
ElCapitan1701

Postby Qukatt » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:51 pm

TotalyMoo wrote:
ElCapitan1701 wrote:2) They will adapt.

That's a bit harsh.

In EVE your ship automatically travels to a "safer" location when you log out, if you're not docked in a station that is. This could be implemented in Salem too. The character attempting to automatically walk towards your homestead when you log out (something you can turn off in Options) would at least help with the 1. issue.

except there's no pathing so you'd stop after 4 steps cause of a cricket bouncing in the way, or a rock, or a bush, or a tree,, or you'd drown in a river (when they put in the drain for swimming) or you'd walk over a snake and it'll eat you, or get to close to a bear...

Honestly I'm happy how things are. Even when I've lost some inventory.. it doesn't bug me too much in the long run. I don't stay up for days lamenting my losses, I don't cry into my large fluffy pillow thinking of all the S&C points I accidentaly dropped in a river on KO crash...
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out. - Battlebug (Sw:tor forums pre-wipe)
Qukatt

Postby Qukatt » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:55 pm

Haxzploid wrote:Hmm one idea could be that items decayed in 24 hours in your inventory when the character is offline. I know people could still log their alt storage chars in once every 24 hours to refresh the decay timer. But it would be an annoying process and risky if you forgot to do so.

Normal chars would just have to empty their inventory if planning on logging off for more than 24 hours.

I think this would work fine with the whole risk/reward system.

Thoughts?

sooooo you want to punish casual players like me?
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out. - Battlebug (Sw:tor forums pre-wipe)
Qukatt

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:57 pm

And what about exploits of the system? I can make an alt wall just by doing a bunch of alts and logging them out so that you're blocked in your settlement.

Sorry, but this idea isn't going anywhere in my opinion. Best way to stop alt-vaulting: give the players what they want--secure storage (for a fee!)
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Tonkyhonk » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:50 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Best way to stop alt-vaulting: give the players what they want--secure storage (for a fee!)

so you guys want to make this into "pay and you wont lose anything valuable" game.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby Sevenless » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:55 pm

Tonkyhonk wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:Best way to stop alt-vaulting: give the players what they want--secure storage (for a fee!)

so you guys want to make this into "pay and you wont lose anything valuable" game.

Oh c'mon tonks. You'd rather leave it so people just use Alts and do it that way? We're trying to find another solution instead of alt vaulting that's a legitimate mechanic. The whole "pay" for the slots is to add silver sinks to the game.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:01 pm

So what's a couple hundred silver every week or two? It's not like I can't go out and make that in one play session. Even at 10 in all humors I can kill and turn in four cricket teams in about an hour or so. That's not counting any savage charms I might make along the way. The game, simply put, needs money sinks. If this is one way to give players what they want while taking a bit more money out of the system, so be it.

Sorry I drug this off topic. The idea had already been posted and figured I'd get traffic to go back to that post... What I get for not putting in a link. /sigh

edit: here's link viewtopic.php?f=12&t=428
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby ElCapitan1701 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:54 pm

MagicManICT wrote:And what about exploits of the system? I can make an alt wall just by doing a bunch of alts and logging them out so that you're blocked in your settlement.

Sorry, but this idea isn't going anywhere in my opinion. Best way to stop alt-vaulting: give the players what they want--secure storage (for a fee!)

The chests could be destroyable easily, or you can walk just through them - there are solutions to this minor problem.
ElCapitan1701

Postby Tonkyhonk » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:03 pm

Sevenless wrote:Oh c'mon tonks. You'd rather leave it so people just use Alts and do it that way?

yes, until devs come up with better ideas.

MagicManICT wrote:So what's a couple hundred silver every week or two?

im talking about the gaming consequences rather than how much silver.
we all know we need silver sink and im sure devs are well aware.
but what we all also know that pay to win (or pay not to lose) is always lame.

ElCapitan1701 wrote:The chests could be destroyable easily, or you can walk just through them - there are solutions to this minor problem.

and welcome campers?
its often horrible to let others know where you logged out from unless those others are your mates.
Last edited by Tonkyhonk on Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby Haxzploid » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:04 pm

Qukatt wrote:
Haxzploid wrote:Hmm one idea could be that items decayed in 24 hours in your inventory when the character is offline. I know people could still log their alt storage chars in once every 24 hours to refresh the decay timer. But it would be an annoying process and risky if you forgot to do so.

Normal chars would just have to empty their inventory if planning on logging off for more than 24 hours.

I think this would work fine with the whole risk/reward system.

Thoughts?

sooooo you want to punish casual players like me?

Is this punishing casual players that use alts as safe storage?

Or is this punishing casual players in general?

The deal here is that at end of every session, you should find a place to store your belongings.
Haxzploid

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations