Automatically create a chest on logout position...

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Automatically create a chest on logout position...

Postby ElCapitan1701 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:16 am

...and store all items in inventar to it. The chest should be lootable but not movable. If player logs in again, the chest is destroyed and the items are placed back in his inventar.

This would have the following effects:
1.) It wouldn`t been possible to secure valuable items by creating an alt-char and putting it in his inventar.
2.) There wouldn`t been the problem that your position is occupied if you login.
3.) Players would logout on proper places, like their claim, their house, etc...
ElCapitan1701

Re: Automatically create a chest on logout position...

Postby Bluestone » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:07 pm

Please no.
Don't forget to check out the Salem Wiki for all your salem information needs
Bluestone

Postby Haxzploid » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:19 pm

In an ideal world this would be a good idea.

But what happens if someone crashes and the game logs out for you? (in Boston? eeekz)

It would be cool if people couldn't store valuables on alts, i give you that. A good solution to this is hard to find.

Personally i would never store my stuff on an alt, cause it ruins the... well... risk/reward'ish... aestetics...
Haxzploid

Postby TotalyMoo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:40 pm

Why a chest and not just simply leave your character where he is and make him robbable? Not that I agree with your idea, but that makes a lot more sense at least.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby ShadowAtlan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:43 pm

TotalyMoo wrote:Why a chest and not just simply leave your character where he is and make him robbable? Not that I agree with your idea, but that makes a lot more sense at least.

....And to not have your character sitting in the open like a retard you need a bed. Or a stool. Or something. Gimme some furniture already devs ;_;
Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science.
ShadowAtlan

Postby TotalyMoo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:52 pm

ShadowAtlan wrote:
TotalyMoo wrote:Why a chest and not just simply leave your character where he is and make him robbable? Not that I agree with your idea, but that makes a lot more sense at least.

....And to not have your character sitting in the open like a retard you need a bed. Or a stool. Or something. Gimme some furniture already devs ;_;

But not to derail this thread, back to the original topic :)

This suggestion is good in its core but lacks some things.

What do to in the case of a server/client crash?
How do new players handle this situation?
What prevents a player that has the storage alts from simply storing them in a safer location, just like chests but cheaper and more versatile?
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

TotalyMoo

Postby ElCapitan1701 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:00 pm

The char could be killed.

TotalyMoo wrote:This suggestion is good in its core but lacks some things.

What do to in the case of a server/client crash?
How do new players handle this situation?
What prevents a player that has the storage alts from simply storing them in a safer location, just like chests but cheaper and more versatile?

1) That`s a technical question - it`s up to the devs if it`s doable or not. But: a storage-alt-char doesn`t make sense, if you have to speculate that the server or your client crashes.
2) They will adapt.
3) You mean - instead of making a chest he makes a new char to store some things? Well, I think there are more secure ways to storage your goods...
ElCapitan1701

Postby TotalyMoo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:05 pm

ElCapitan1701 wrote:2) They will adapt.

That's a bit harsh.

In EVE your ship automatically travels to a "safer" location when you log out, if you're not docked in a station that is. This could be implemented in Salem too. The character attempting to automatically walk towards your homestead when you log out (something you can turn off in Options) would at least help with the 1. issue.

TotalyMoo

Postby Bluestone » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:31 pm

I personally don't think Alt-storage is game breaking. I don't do it myself though.

I utterly hate the idea of anything appearing out of thin air where you logged out.

I don't see anything wrong with retaining your inventory on logout.
Don't forget to check out the Salem Wiki for all your salem information needs
Bluestone

Postby ElCapitan1701 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:37 pm

Bluestone wrote:I utterly hate the idea of anything appearing out of thin air where you logged out.

Well, right now, all your items vanish into air...that`s not realistic neither.
ElCapitan1701

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations