Automatically create a chest on logout position...

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Automatically create a chest on logout position...

Postby Bluestone » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:46 pm

ElCapitan1701 wrote:
Bluestone wrote:I utterly hate the idea of anything appearing out of thin air where you logged out.

Well, right now, all your items vanish into air...that`s not realistic neither.

Lesser of 2 evils. And although we like elements of realism in this game it cannot be ignored that it is a game and people cannot tend their characters 24/7. Your character vanishing on logout with their inventory is a tried and tested occurance in online persistant games.
Don't forget to check out the Salem Wiki for all your salem information needs
Bluestone

Postby pohl » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:51 pm

ElCapitan1701 wrote:
Bluestone wrote:I utterly hate the idea of anything appearing out of thin air where you logged out.

Well, right now, all your items vanish into air...that`s not realistic neither.

He never said that it was unrealistic, this whole game is unrealistic. All characters heads are 1/3 the size of their bodies :P.

1.) It wouldn`t been possible to secure valuable items by creating an alt-char and putting it in his inventar. -> People will still find ways around it.
2.) There wouldn`t been the problem that your position is occupied if you login. -> The code should be fixed so that when you login a character and someone/something is on the spot you logged out of the server will either port you back to your homestead(inventory intact ofc), or to another free spot close to where you logged out.
3.) Players would logout on proper places, like their claim, their house, etc... -> uncontrollable if there's a server crash, or players internet fizzes out

Your idea is easily exploitable, this game is f2p ergo you can create 100s of accounts if you want. What if a troll guild decides to create 100+ characters and log them all out in boston >.>?
pohl

Postby Sevenless » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:19 am

Means no one can ever log out while foraging. I would rather just allow alt storage of items :/
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby sabinati » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:28 am

Well, as I see it there are two problems:
  • There is no "safe" logout location (unless logging out directly on top of your claim stake/lean-to has been made safe at some point recently).
  • Alt-vaulting.

The suggestion in the OP is not without merit as it offers a semi-reasonable solution for both, and was actually mentioned by loftar as something they consider for Haven some time ago. However, there are a few problems I have with the idea. Unless there was an exception made for equipped items, silver and keys would never be safe. There would need to be some kind of defense for your non-equipped items as well. There would also need to be some kind of mechanic to prevent logging out on or even near claims that your character doesn't have permissions on. If those things were addressed, it might not be so bad.

One possibly interesting method of defense of your logged out character's items could be to turn your character into a "statue" if it is on a full-permission claim or village claim that it is a member of. The statue could function like a brazier/torchpost with power and ammo scaling with humours.

If it's out in the wilderness, it could turn into a mini lean-to or something which would only provide the claim/scent mechanics of a lean-to (but would only hold the items in your inventory/backpack, no lifted objects).
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby Ass_Kraken » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:30 am

There would be so many item holders though from abandoned characters in the wild.
Ass_Kraken

Postby sabinati » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:11 am

They could decay, I suppose.
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby ElCapitan1701 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:23 am

pohl wrote:1.) It wouldn`t been possible to secure valuable items by creating an alt-char and putting it in his inventar. -> People will still find ways around it.
2.) There wouldn`t been the problem that your position is occupied if you login. -> The code should be fixed so that when you login a character and someone/something is on the spot you logged out of the server will either port you back to your homestead(inventory intact ofc), or to another free spot close to where you logged out.
3.) Players would logout on proper places, like their claim, their house, etc... -> uncontrollable if there's a server crash, or players internet fizzes out

Your idea is easily exploitable, this game is f2p ergo you can create 100s of accounts if you want. What if a troll guild decides to create 100+ characters and log them all out in boston >.>?

1) As I understood the game concept if you want a safe location for your items, you have to build up some defense. So creating alt-chars is already a way around it. I think my suggestion is more in line of the game concept.
3) If there is a server crash - no one will be there to do anything to your items. If your internet fizzes out you need to find another provider. Or: If something like that occurs, you log out like the way it is now, means with all your items in inventory.

Logout in Boston would be a problem.But i see no reason, why those chests shouldn`t been destroyed easily.
ElCapitan1701

Postby darnokpl » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:53 am

TotalyMoo wrote:
ElCapitan1701 wrote:2) They will adapt.

That's a bit harsh.

In EVE your ship automatically travels to a "safer" location when you log out, if you're not docked in a station that is. This could be implemented in Salem too. The character attempting to automatically walk towards your homestead when you log out (something you can turn off in Options) would at least help with the 1. issue.

When crashed teleport him to Boston (with items in inventory) and let him walk there from one building to another on some random paths, Boston would have citizens:)
darnokpl

Postby milonti » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:51 pm

This is not a good idea from a game design or development perspective.

First, this will clog the server with a lot of unneeded item generation and degeneration.

Second, this will screw over anyone thats trying to avoid a PvP raider type when they log out. All their items are going to be forfeit.

Third, It ENCOURAGES making alts to have free storage. A free chest for just making a character? Sign me up. At least theres a little bit of normal trade danger when transferring things to an alt.

This is not something that would be a good implementation. While I do admit alt-vaults can be a problem, this is not a good way to fix it.
milonti

Postby Haxzploid » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:27 pm

Hmm one idea could be that items decayed in 24 hours in your inventory when the character is offline. I know people could still log their alt storage chars in once every 24 hours to refresh the decay timer. But it would be an annoying process and risky if you forgot to do so.

Normal chars would just have to empty their inventory if planning on logging off for more than 24 hours.

I think this would work fine with the whole risk/reward system.

Thoughts?
Haxzploid

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations