Automatically create a chest on logout position...

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Automatically create a chest on logout position...

Postby Tonkyhonk » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:14 pm

Haxzploid wrote:Is this punishing casual players that use alts as safe storage?

Or is this punishing casual players in general?

The deal here is that at end of every session, you should find a place to store your belongings.

some casuals cannot play everyday, some cant during weekdays. if your items are always at risk of getting looted while logged out, casuals may not be able to play this game without losing all every session.
many casuals cannot play long enough to build a safe enough place in one session of play.
the issue is not unlootable items your main char is holding, but alts hording items.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby milonti » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:05 pm

ElCapitan1701 wrote:I haven`t played H&H, but I assume more pvp type players have been securing their items by alt chars then the crafter type of player.

You misunderstand me, I mean if you are trying to run away from a person trying to kill you. No matter what, you'd lose your items. There would be no way to evade your killer aside from him/her giving up.

ElCapitan1701 wrote:You are already getting free storage, if you create a alt char.There is no gain. It discourages alt-chars as your items are no longer safe.

You arent getting a free chest though. You're getting a character inventory you need to either multibox or drop trade to use effectively. If they're actually on your claim, it still requires multi-boxing or log-out/log-in to switch inventories. Thats a hassle that actually keeps certain players (like me) from even bothering with it. With your system, I would just make 4 extra pilgrims, put them in my house, and log them all off. Viola, i have 4 free chests for my main character to use as he pleases.
milonti

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:21 pm

Using alts to circumvent certain game mechanics just says that said game mechanic is flawed in some way. Either come up with something to prevent players from abusing it or give the players what they want. It's the same concept as botting--if players find a mechanic they find boring and repetitive, they'll bot it. The fix: change the mechanic. Same thing goes here.

I'm assuming this concept is to get rid of alt-vaulting by force. I'm not against that at all, just this concept. Dropping a chest in the spot the player logged out is prone to being exploited and buggy. ElCapitan, you say that players could just break their way out, but the player shouldn't have to do that. You're discouraging alt-making one way and then encouraging it in another (spamming alts to grief).

@tonky: again, how is that "pay to win"? There is nothing about this game that is pay to win until they start adding items in that give advantages that can only be paid for with $$ instead of silver. So far the only things added to the game require silver to pay which can be freely traded, stolen, and produced (via selling items to the Company Store).

How in any way is this "punishing" anybody? If anything, casual players are the least likely to need alt vaults as they tend to only produce what they need.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Qukatt » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:55 pm

as a casual who hardly even looks at a pc on the evenings and weekends I would be livid to have my stuff vanish from my bags based on inactivity and nothing else.

most days around the mark where i'm trying to tie up for dinner I'm either been out and about and can't make it to claim in time and I just log out. or I crash and I cant be bothered logging back in because I have to go anyways.

Sure I don't need alt storage but that wasn't the point i'm against right now. I'm against the suggestion that I should lose out because I can't log in for a few days every week.

I don't have some magical storage solution in my tiny home so I keep things on me.
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out. - Battlebug (Sw:tor forums pre-wipe)
Qukatt

Postby ElCapitan1701 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:23 pm

Tonkyhonk wrote:some casuals cannot play everyday, some cant during weekdays. if your items are always at risk of getting looted while logged out, casuals may not be able to play this game without losing all every session.
many casuals cannot play long enough to build a safe enough place in one session of play.
the issue is not unlootable items your main char is holding, but alts hording items.

Okay, I`m with you on that.
ElCapitan1701

Postby Bluestone » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:06 pm

Only solution to alt-vaulting has to not punish the regular player that has never alt-vaulted.

This chest idea punishes the wanderer. Perhaps I don't have time to wander back to my camp before I have to log out. I should not be punished for exploring by having my items in a lootable chest when I log out.

The chest idea has too many exploitable holes in it.
Don't forget to check out the Salem Wiki for all your salem information needs
Bluestone

Postby Haxzploid » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:51 am

Ok here is a new idea.

How about having your inventory shared on all characters on your account? (including backpack slots)

This would force you to make a new account for storage.

(I still lean towards my original idea though. When a character is 10 days old (from creation. ) items in your inventory should decay if 3 days pass and the character in question is not logged in. So if you know you are going away for 3 days, don't keep anything valuable in your inventory or empty it at your homestead)

Keep in mind the goal here is to stick with the risk/reward theme.
Haxzploid

Postby Tonkyhonk » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:14 pm

Haxzploid wrote:Ok here is a new idea.

How about having your inventory shared on all characters on your account? (including backpack slots)

oh please, NO.
That does not solve anything when the beta is open but only make things tedious.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Previous

Return to Ideas & Innovations