Pin jobs to objects

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Pin jobs to objects

Postby ElCapitan1701 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:22 am

Maybe this is more a long term suggestion, as it`s hard to realize, I think. But it would be nice to be able to pin jobs to objects. "Fill up this bucket - 5s" or "Fill up this compost - 5s". This should also work with paved tiles - "Put a log here - 10s". Of course if the job is done the server needs to verifiy it itself and pay out the silver. If you have some people in town they often seek for some small jobs they can do. :)
ElCapitan1701

Re: Pin jobs to objects

Postby Flameturtle » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:22 am

Sounds like a lot of effort for something that will have very little impact on the game :/
Flameturtle

Postby staxjax » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:16 am

If people are unable to find work to do, then perhaps your village needs competent leadership. The server should not have to manage your villagers for you.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby ShadowTani » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:25 am

Personally I would prefer the ability to build notice boards instead, which ties in with a new crafting genre - paper craft (it existed at the time I believe). Which could include various things like ability to make bounty posters and posting notices at a notice board.

And it would been nice to be able to rewrite/repaint signs too. :/
ShadowTani

Postby thl111 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:47 am

+ for notice board. I find it hard to coordinate with my townies so a board and paper are a must have. And I believe people had paper at that time.
We make sword stone for keeper and pull they do it and excalibur come out. have no make stone to for sword we make sword box for sword to put sword in for sword. -Moniker (Anarchy online)
thl111

Postby ElCapitan1701 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:51 am

Flameturtle wrote:Sounds like a lot of effort for something that will have very little impact on the game :/

It would change how the whole city is organized.

staxjax wrote:If people are unable to find work to do, then perhaps your village needs competent leadership. The server should not have to manage your villagers for you.

Your way of doing it reduces the possibility to run a city to one option: there needs to be a leader who tells everyone, what to do. And this leader would have to be available for the most time, and everyone else has to be online too. That might be the most efficient way of doing it but that`s not practical for most casual F2P players.

So this suggestion would make it possible to decentralize command structure and desync online-times giving every farmer, every hunter, every cook a simple tool to point out what to do in a much more discreet way. Every villager could choose which jobs to do, when he comes online and the townleader would not have to do micromanagement if he don`t want or don`t have the time. The villager hasn`t to recieve his orders from the leader but decide for himself what to do - which may feel better for most players, too.

This whole game needs to go from a small hardcore group (with a lot of time, I assume) to a big group of casual players with hit and run mentality, if the f2p concept cash shop modell should be going to work. This suggestion is also in line with that.
ElCapitan1701

Postby Sevenless » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:40 pm

staxjax wrote:If people are unable to find work to do, then perhaps your village needs competent leadership. The server should not have to manage your villagers for you.

I disagree entirely. The whole reason why Haven, and Salem too at my guess, had a rough cap of 30-50people per faction was entirely due to the lack of inbuilt management tools for leaders. If we want to see factions bigger than that, we need to start providing a LOT more in game support to help manage them.

That being said, I'm not sure this idea is what I'd want. A buildable noticeboard in town with pinned messages would be more my suggestion personally.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:36 pm

What I'm seeing here is the desire to have an in-game tool to help manage labor in the game instead of relying on outside resources such as a town/faction forum.

I'm with Flameturtle on this: Too much effort on the part of town management to set it up. The simple thing would be to have cupboards, chests, etc, and say "Stock this to full with <item>". Have a sign up that says "Have 10 coal clamps burning at all times." It's how things run in manufacturing, retail, etc in life. People understand it and don't need direction to go and check their jobs. The job of the manager is then to make sure that enough stocks are on hand or in production to keep the supply lines rolling.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby ElCapitan1701 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:06 pm

MagicManICT wrote:What I'm seeing here is the desire to have an in-game tool to help manage labor in the game instead of relying on outside resources such as a town/faction forum.
I'm with Flameturtle on this: Too much effort on the part of town management to set it up. The simple thing would be to have cupboards, chests, etc, and say "Stock this to full with <item>". Have a sign up that says "Have 10 coal clamps burning at all times." It's how things run in manufacturing, retail, etc in life. People understand it and don't need direction to go and check their jobs. The job of the manager is then to make sure that enough stocks are on hand or in production to keep the supply lines rolling.

Agreed, this would be a comfort feature. But it`s really hard to do this in a forum.
And:
There is no reward mechanic. The player doing those jobs pinned to the objects would get it`s reward automatically after doing the work and in no dependancy to the leader online times. And - he can continue its game - he hasn`t wait until the leader gives him his reward, so that he can buy object xy - he just can do it and make the next step on his agenda.

Nevertheless, a noticeboard would also be a step in the right direction.

As for the moment, I have accompanied some new players to Salem. If they stop playing it`s because one of two reasons: 1) the learning curve is to high 2) in regards to other games Salem is very exhausting as it is not comfortable at all. (which, and I`m repeating on that, also may be good for hardcore gamers, but it`s not for casual)
ElCapitan1701

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:14 pm

I find the suggestion of intratown trading stands you posted to be a much simpler solution than this. Players can designate what they need for their work and others can supply them and get the silver/goods they want/need.

Sneaky Moo-edit: Fixed the URL tag.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Return to Ideas & Innovations