Upgradable walls?

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Upgradable walls?

Postby Haxzploid » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:59 pm

I heard a rumor about other wall types being implemented at at some point.

I would like to suggest that instead of building new wall types, you would be able to upgrade the wall segments you already had built.

Currently people build walls in layers to maximize defense. When implementing other wall types.. people will try rush to best wall available and build that. If you could upgrade your wall segments people would start small and slowly upgrade. Instead of having zero defense or max defense.

The cost of these upgrades should ofc match the strength the wall gains, and perhaps cost less than building a new layer of wall (depending on the strength ofc)

Would be cool if the walls changed texture/height/fancyness when upgraded.
Haxzploid

Re: Upgradable walls?

Postby Osmedirez » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:13 pm

generally speaking, in the real world when you want to 'upgrade' a fence/wall you have to remove the original to do so.. but while you're calling it an upgrade, I guess it makes sense to have a system of 'remove/rebuild' as a whole action rather than having to go through the process of removing then also rebuilding. As long as the labor (humor drain) involved is still balanced towards the amount of work involved, I could see that working.

It would be visually appealing to see the upgraded sections in progress too. I like it. :D
"We've come for The Darkness"
Osmedirez

Postby staxjax » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:32 pm

lol, when new walls come out I'll just build another wall or 8 around my base. No need to reduce the amount of defenses I already have by upgrading or otherwise. The more walls the better, imo.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:00 pm

For the "space conscious", adding more walls just isn't an option. Maybe they're hermitting a small town claim and don't want to increase their silver expenditure on it to get the better walls.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:44 am

MagicManICT wrote:For the "space conscious", adding more walls just isn't an option. Maybe they're hermitting a small town claim and don't want to increase their silver expenditure on it to get the better walls.

Although I don't really mind the concept, the effort put into any wall will far exceed the silver cost of a bigger personal claim to cover it.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:11 am

Experience says that security has no price, but what good is a split-rail fence when the wall next to it is a brick wall? That fence isn't anything more than a speed bump... more like a shallow pot hole you don't even have to slow down for.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:55 am

MagicManICT wrote:Experience says that security has no price, but what good is a split-rail fence when the wall next to it is a brick wall? That fence isn't anything more than a speed bump... more like a shallow pot hole you don't even have to slow down for.

Under current systems, the first wall is "free" because braziers won't really defend them anyway unless it requires two vandalism attempts. As such, using a split rail fence if you think they're easier to build than stone hedges is a benefit.

But yet again, I'm not at all against the upgradeable wall concept. Going through 5 layers of gates gets really dang annoying.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby aragaer » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:24 am

One thing I'd like to see is the "disassemble" action which would allow me to remove buildings (and fences) on my own claim. Slower, but with lower phlegm drain. Walls are supposed to be tough to break, but if I want to disassemble them myself (and having enough time) why do I have to spend as much phlegm to do it as if I was breaking into my own territory?
aragaer

Postby Haxzploid » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:34 pm

staxjax wrote:lol, when new walls come out I'll just build another wall or 8 around my base. No need to reduce the amount of defenses I already have by upgrading or otherwise. The more walls the better, imo.

Well DUH ofc... But you are looking at this from a fail perspective

example: (numbers are just examples)

let's say you have 3 layers of walls, each wall takes 30 plegm to destroy.

Would you upgrade an existing wall if the upgrade would improve your wall to drain an additional 50 plegm (80 total) when attempting to destroy? or would you still build a new wall only draining 30 plegm? (60 total when compared)

impact on game:

3 layers of wall with 4 possible upgrade states.

instead of 15+ layers of walls to achieve same result. (in this case i am comparing to the only wall type we have now)

the idea:

The idea was to be able to upgrade walls, so that people wouldn't "rush" to the best wall and build that. Currently i think most players with some knowledge of the game skips wooden walls and jumps straight to stone walls.
Haxzploid

Postby Arillious » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:39 pm

aragaer wrote:One thing I'd like to see is the "disassemble" action which would allow me to remove buildings (and fences) on my own claim. Slower, but with lower phlegm drain. Walls are supposed to be tough to break, but if I want to disassemble them myself (and having enough time) why do I have to spend as much phlegm to do it as if I was breaking into my own territory?

Agreed. Removing your own fence should not be so difficult.
Arillious

Return to Ideas & Innovations