Morals and Beliefs

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Morals and Beliefs

Postby dev824804 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:45 am

I got this idea for Haven and Hearth that there were sets of beliefs like Religion, combat, and so on that all start on 5 when you make a new character and you can slowly move them left or right. So for example, For combat you can be aggressive or pacifistic. Aggressive makes you deal more combat to players and pacifist increases your purity. If you have played Haven and Hearth you can see what I am talking about, and can agree that this would work well in salem too.
"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Alfred Pennyworth
dev824804

Re: Morals and Beliefs

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:13 am

Are you talking about duplicating the Beliefs system from HnH? Or are you coming up with a suggestion about HnH?

If the former, the system is broken there. Why replicate a broken system into a new game when it wouldn't even migrate?

If the latter... wrong forum?
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Sacre » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:45 pm

Please run away and hide somewhere distant.
Sacre

Postby Sevenless » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:47 pm

Generally speaking the beliefs system in Haven had some pretty big flaws in it. One of the problems was it limited characters to one specific path. This is different than benefiting you if you focused on it (say by grinding the right FEP for sewing or etc), because you could not possibly be a miner and a farmer for example. The other major problem was the whole change slidering meaning your best course of action was to just sit and do nothing for X hours before playing.

As a mechanic, I believe it was left out of Salem on purpose for these reasons give or take.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby xweetok59 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:58 pm

Sacre wrote:Please run away and hide somewhere distant.

Please don't comment if you don't have anything constructive to say.
xweetok59

Postby dev824804 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:13 pm

I am not specifically talking about the HnH one, but you can commit to certain skills. Like you can commit to Cloak and Daggers to make it increase faster at the sacrifice that Stocks and cultivators is harder to level up.

Alfred Pennyworth
dev824804

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:21 pm

Umm... NO. It's too damn easy to level up C&D as it is, but it does take focus and commitment to do so as two of the best early items have cash value.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Potjeh » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:31 pm

Belief sliders were the single worst mechanic in H&H.
Potjeh

Postby Sevenless » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:20 pm

It's not to say the the desire for a 3rd skill benefit/system is a bad one. I think it'd be better if we invented a new one is all :)
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby dev824804 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:00 pm

Sevenless wrote:It's not to say the the desire for a 3rd skill benefit/system is a bad one. I think it'd be better if we invented a new one is all :)

I agree I am not talking about specifically this idea.

Alfred Pennyworth
dev824804

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations