Morals and Beliefs

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Morals and Beliefs

Postby dev824804 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:01 pm

Sevenless wrote:It's not to say the the desire for a 3rd skill benefit/system is a bad one. I think it'd be better if we invented a new one is all :)

I agree I am not talking about a specific this idea.
edit: Sorry about double post
"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Alfred Pennyworth
dev824804

Postby Osmedirez » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:21 pm

Aside from the flawed way the belief system worked in H&H, the setting of that game left the idea of 'belief' being a factor that made sense. Seeing as how there's a more concrete setting in Salem, the pilgrim Christian-leaning, later witchcraft, a status system based on the same thing doesn't make as much sense. Maybe something like 'Politics' would make some sense. There were all kinds of variant political systems in the new world, even amongst colonies that shared the same home-country.. so that could be interesting. Not sure how it would work as a mechanic though.

I'm actually thinking that witchcraft, when implemented, might somehow be the 'new version' of this system. Something along the lines of witchcraft vs witch hunting (or anti-witchcraft). But that's pure speculation. :twisted:
"We've come for The Darkness"
Osmedirez

Postby painhertz » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:28 am

It was said in the past..... (Pre-Alpha) that not only would there be Witchcraft but also a sort of white magic school to counterbalance it but it's not looking like even Witchcraft will make release so yeah, not much point in speculating.
"since i am in my 30s and could probably throw you across the room"

"Porky" Darwoth: Confusing reality and video games since 2012.......
painhertz

Postby Onionfighter » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:11 am

I played Haven and Hearth, and I don't believe you really understand how it's belief system works.

The problem with H&H's belief system is that most of the choices were not balanced, which resulted in 95% of the player base all having one of two "belief" sets (5 or 6 different choices).

Also, some beliefs limited gameplay options, which made the game less fun.
Onionfighter

Postby TotalyMoo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:38 pm

Implementing such a system enforces something I don't think should exist in a true sandbox - an objective view of what is good and evil.

Take me for example. I play this game, roleplayer as I am, as a super-peaceful pacifist with a love for farming and stealing stuff. Everything I do is "good", except the little fact that I enjoy robbing my neighbors clean at times.

A system like this would punish me for playing such a character, as my "evil" acts would push me in the "evil" direction as if it wanted to encourage me to continue being a ***** in other ways.

I could write a WoT about this, but I think my message gets across. Black and white choices =/= freedom.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:58 pm

For those not familiar with the HnH system, here's the chart of Personal Beliefs and what you get for changing each one.

Of these, Day/Light almost never gets moved (due to system hang ups/crashes, the day/night cycle isn't consistent... if it were, players might change this if they were always on during the day or night). Martial/Peaceful ALWAYS goes towards "peace" for the LP bonus (and damage doesn't really mean much with the combat system). Death/Life ALWAYS goes towards "life" (again about the damage). Tradition/Change almost always goes towards Change with one specific character always going straight for tradition (mining only character) and others going back that way after getting a few million LP. The other two are the only ones that change based on the character, but Barbarism/Civilization always will end up at Barbarism (more con = more HP) for all but a handful of characters and often starts out heading towards Civilization just for the +Int boost.

That doesn't really sound like any kind of variance in characters to me. There could be some other system like this implemented that was better balanced, but then would it really have any impact on the game?
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Previous

Return to Ideas & Innovations