Walls on Water (with illustration)

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Walls on Water (with illustration)

Postby Haxzploid » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:47 pm

(I moved this to the new forum)

I would like to propose that settlers from this day forth should be able to build walls on water tiles :)

Currently if you decide to form a town seperated by water it will look like this:

If you were able to build walls on water tiles, your town could look like this:

The wall itself could look something like this, please don't mock my artwork :))

Making these walls available, will also make it possible to protect future buildings that would have to be built next to water tiles such as a watermill or fishing with a net over time. (i don't know if such a building will ever exist or if you will be able to fish with nets, but consider it an added bonus should similar things be implemented)

To avoid exploits. i would propose that a waterwall could only cover 4 tiles of water from each side. Imagine clicking "build waterwall" This will bring up a sub-menu of 1tile 2tiles 3tiles 4tiles walls to choose from. The requirement of placement is that it would have to connect to a wall on land to be placed. So if a river is 5 tiles wide, you could build a 2tiles and a 3tiles from each side of the river. (all these tile-numbers are examples, same with the name waterwall, I'm quite certain you the developers can come up with something that fits)

Oh and because of the iron thingies under the wall it should not be as easy to construct these as normal walls. You would have to use some iron bars and stuff :P

Thoughts? :)
Haxzploid

Re: Walls on Water (with illustration)

Postby ShadowAtlan » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:13 pm

Not a bad idea, and also I love the fish you drew.
Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science.
ShadowAtlan

Postby Sevenless » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:52 am

Why not just build the town further back from water? Honestly with the current system you'd want to be pretty far back from water anyway just to avoid running out of space for layered walls.

I just don't see it adding enough to the game to make it worth the programming effort. You'd still want to avoid being near the water because limiting the gap walls can cross to prevent abuse would mean you can't layer your walls properly in all likely hood.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:54 am

Sevenless wrote:I just don't see it adding enough to the game to make it worth the programming effort. You'd still want to avoid being near the water because limiting the gap walls can cross to prevent abuse would mean you can't layer your walls properly in all likely hood.

Don't forget what the rivers are in HnH: the superhighways of the hearthlands. We don't have boats yet, but they're coming. Of course, that does depend on how fast the boats can move.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Haxzploid » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:54 am

Sevenless wrote:Why not just build the town further back from water? Honestly with the current system you'd want to be pretty far back from water anyway just to avoid running out of space for layered walls.

I just don't see it adding enough to the game to make it worth the programming effort. You'd still want to avoid being near the water because limiting the gap walls can cross to prevent abuse would mean you can't layer your walls properly in all likely hood.

Look at it this way:
Atmosphere > efficiency/power gaming (notice the outer wall, rigth hand side)

Adding to the game:
ability to protect a portion of a river, in case certain buildings being implemented at a later stage had to be built next to a water source.

Yes i understand that the limit i mentioned will make it harder to layer walls. This limit would have to be carefully adjusted, but with a max of 5-6 you could cross a river 10-12 tiles wide.

I like the the critique you bring, and i'm not trying to shoot it down. I reply to the best of my ability :)
Last edited by Haxzploid on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Haxzploid

Postby Haxzploid » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:57 am

MagicManICT wrote:
Sevenless wrote:I just don't see it adding enough to the game to make it worth the programming effort. You'd still want to avoid being near the water because limiting the gap walls can cross to prevent abuse would mean you can't layer your walls properly in all likely hood.

Don't forget what the rivers are in HnH: the superhighways of the hearthlands. We don't have boats yet, but they're coming. Of course, that does depend on how fast the boats can move.

Hmmm when you say this, i wonder if these walls i propose, should function as a gate for ships somehow. (friendly ships)
Haxzploid

Return to Ideas & Innovations