Pine forest OP and small thoughts on curio balancing

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Pine forest OP and small thoughts on curio balancing

Postby Sevenless » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:57 am

Barely deserves a post, but here it is.

Forest Imbalance:

Pine forests have access to far superior food related forageables (witch shrooms and lavendar bluets) than the Autumn Forest (very rare kudzu, and garlic). Garlic is also massively potted, so a village probably won't be needing to forage garlic in the long run. Pine forests also have chestnuts, which obviously doesn't make sense for a pine forest since chestnut trees are leafy trees. It ends up making Pine forests completely equivalent to Autumnal forests, but with far better mushrooms. I'm not intending to talk about turkeys because I'm not sure what other animals may be added to balance that out.

At the very least chestnuts should be removed from pine forests.

Inspirationals:

Spinning top is still fairly overpowered from the looks of it, especially combined with wood chippings with regards to Arts and Crafts. Getting 3000 arts and crafts is easily done, to the point that I'm putting it off because of how easy it is. It also seems odd that the spinning top gives thread and needle, but at the same time there's not really much else that actually does. Considering how cheap the spinning top is to make, it's worth eating 3 tops before the first variety curio. That alone puts you up to roughly 1430 arts and crafts. Then wood chippings at 250 and you can get another 780 A/C. That gives us 2460 arts and crafts for a whopping cost of 1 woodchip and 5 spinning tops. And, continuing on with the concept of them being relatively cheap to craft, we can easily spam this for basically any desired amount of A/C.

We also see the same effects in thread/needle and hammer/nail from the spinning top. The difference of current is that the inspirational selection in these skills is so pitiful that taking down the spinning top in this area would make the skills very hard to acquire without adding new inspirationals into the category.

Considering woodchips are a free byproduct, I think the A/C value should be brought into line with the rest of the bonuses it gives.

Because there's currently a decent amount of variety for A/C, the A/C value of spinning tops might be a little more sane down in the 400-500 range. I honestly feel that the spinning top could keep the high value of one of A/C, H/N or T/N, but there should be more curios stepping in to take over the spinning top acting as a stop-gap measure on several proficiencies.

Funny Foam:

Funny foam is an odd curio that's often overlooked. It's either essentially impossible to make (if you're missing the sand biome), or it's relatively easy to mass produce. The net effect to players is that it feels not overly easy to make, but in reality it's just concentrated in certain settlements that chose good biomes to settle near.

At the very least the value of the H/G proficiency is out of line since it's up with rare inspirationals like beaver teeth, or effort intensive ones like the cricket team. 1250 is getting more in range with what the inspirational feels worth to me H/G wise (On that note hunting trophy seems a little low H/G). As for S/C... I'm not honestly sure. It's definitely easier for me to produce Funny Foam than find or buy singing old logs: If we bought snails and salt off beginners, you can usually get a funny foam for about 6s, compared to singing old logs which tend to hover in the 10s range. If you use that ratio as a rough ratio, funny foam should be sitting more at 900 S/C

It's one of those inspirationals I *really* don't want to see nerfed, and if anything that drove me to make the post. With the foresight of finding a good beach, they're a really dominant source of several different skill values.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Re: Pine forest OP and small thoughts on curio balancing

Postby sabinati » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:18 am

Pine forests don't have gourds.
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby Sevenless » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:30 am

sabinati wrote:Pine forests don't have gourds.

Good point Sab, living in a pine forest I forgot that gourds spawn at all. But at the same time gourds are fairly rare. Does it make up the entire difference when you consider how uncommon they are?
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby five9 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:41 am

try living in the badlands, then make a post about what they have and dont and hope it all gets "balanced" so one never has to travel around

lol ALL biomes need advantages and disadvantages,, yet balanced in someway, so i agree to an extent
five9

Postby Sevenless » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:00 am

five9 wrote:try living in the badlands, then make a post about what they have and dont and hope it all gets "balanced" so one never has to travel around

lol ALL biomes need advantages and disadvantages,, yet balanced in someway, so i agree to an extent

A big problem right now is it seems only the "common" biomes have properly fleshed out forageables and animal spawns. Badlands, oak savannah, the seemingly rarer biomes often have just simply less than the "normal" grassland or forest.

I'm hoping/assuming this will change over time. Badlands having unique forageables for instance, that would be really neat.
Sevenless

Postby sabinati » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:07 am

Sevenless wrote:
sabinati wrote:Pine forests don't have gourds.

Good point Sab, living in a pine forest I forgot that gourds spawn at all. But at the same time gourds are fairly rare. Does it make up the entire difference when you consider how uncommon they are?

They aren't that rare, at least in a good sized autumn forest. They're a great easy p&P/S&C/S&S inspiration so you're at a significant disadvantage without them imo. You can make a trip and round up a few for the Gardening stuff so that's not a big deal, I guess, but it's nice to have a steady source of them either way.

Sevenless wrote:
five9 wrote:try living in the badlands, then make a post about what they have and dont and hope it all gets "balanced" so one never has to travel around

A big problem right now is it seems only the "common" biomes have properly fleshed out forageables and animal spawns. Badlands, oak savannah, the seemingly rarer biomes often have just simply less than the "normal" grassland or forest.

BACK IN MY DAY WE LIVED ON BADLANDS AND IT DIDN'T HAVE ANY ANIMAL SPAWNS AND WE HAD TO WALK UP A CLIFF BOTH WAYS TO GO GET LIME, my point being that they will probably add more biome specific stuff later, so be patient.
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby Droj » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:26 am

Foraged not so long ago in a maple forest and got 8 gourds in about 20mins. Each biome has it's advantages/disadvantages, finding a place in walking distance of near all is what it's all about.
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Postby jorb » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:55 pm

I would like to make a more developed representation of raw wood materials, with higher tier woods and whatnot. Tops will change at some point.
jorb

Postby Sevenless » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:11 pm

jorb wrote:I would like to make a more developed representation of raw wood materials, with higher tier woods and whatnot. Tops will change at some point.

That would be neat, but is there any way we could move off the tier system for farming in other areas? It's a neat mechanic but I'd rather see unique mechanics for each "industry" rather than just lumping them all into one. Perhaps different purity types creating different wood types? Lead wood being beech tree, salt wood being oak, that kind of idea?

The purity type system has neat influences in the food area and I'd like to see that expanded to other mechanics if possible.
Sevenless

Postby jorb » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:29 pm

Oh, I didn't mean tiers as they exist in farming. Lumber will naturally follow some other mechanic under all circumstances. :)
jorb

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations