Proper defenses...

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Proper defenses...

Postby darnokpl » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:35 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
darnokpl wrote:Maybe instead of many cheap walls we should be able to build single expensive (iron, brick, lime) wall?:)

Miss this? Wonder if I could find that on the Paradox forums... seems like it was under one of the dev announcements.

MagicManICT wrote:Just a reminder, though: there was a statement about more walls coming. I seriously doubt that this will be all there is.

edit: found the link: http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/vie ... 28#p344328

jorb wrote:We didn't have walls then. There is one wall type in the game right now and four more in the pipe.

Awesome, can't wait to build them:)
darnokpl

Postby Glennfinnan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:00 pm

Sevenless, I think that were still missing some braziers knowledge. From what I can actually tell you that either your fuel calculations are wrong, or braziers might stack their fuel after they reach their damage cap.
When somebody tried to break into my camp last world, what took him at least 40 - 60 minutes during which 22 - 23 braziers kept shooting at him while commiting the vandalism action they didnt consume much of their fuel. In the end I just needed to refill each with just one coal, what according to your calculations should be just 3 shots.
Glennfinnan

Postby darnokpl » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:25 pm

Glennfinnan wrote:Sevenless, I think that were still missing some braziers knowledge. From what I can actually tell you that either your fuel calculations are wrong, or braziers might stack their fuel after they reach their damage cap.
When somebody tried to break into my camp last world, what took him at least 40 - 60 minutes during which 22 - 23 braziers kept shooting at him while commiting the vandalism action they didnt consume much of their fuel. In the end I just needed to refill each with just one coal, what according to your calculations should be just 3 shots.

True, braziers can shoot many many times... friend took 800 shots from one and it didn't depleted fuel:/
darnokpl

Postby Sevenless » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:20 am

Glennfinnan wrote:Sevenless, I think that were still missing some braziers knowledge. From what I can actually tell you that either your fuel calculations are wrong, or braziers might stack their fuel after they reach their damage cap.

I said "at least three", I never actually tested that mechanic really. Someone definitely needs to do a study on it.

What you're suggesting is that potentially braziers only consume 1 coal per claim "activation". In that case braziers have unlimited ammo essentially if they're full.

The other possibility is that (to rephrase what I think you mean), braziers only burn fuel equivalent to the amount of damage they deal. If a brazier is only dealing 1/10th a braziers worth of damage, it only consumes 1/10th the fuel. And that would make sense. Stacking more braziers would boost your defenses by allowing them to shoot longer and deal slightly more damage/shot. This seems more likely in my mind.

Either way: I really would prefer to see a more complicated defence system rather than buffing or furthering this one more. We have options to look into things like traps too for example.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby darnokpl » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:59 pm

Sevenless wrote:...
Either way: I really would prefer to see a more complicated defence system rather than buffing or furthering this one more. We have options to look into things like traps too for example.

Not only you, but more complications means there will be more problems in balance them.
Right now I was thinking about how to prevent wall spammers and it can be done imho like this:
- change to vandalism crimes to last longer,
- change to braziers to shoot only above 1 or 2 wall layers,
- boost walls only if they are on personal claim and town claim, give them more HP +100% or more, that should cause raids to be longer, but not harder (doesn't require more phlegm, just more time and food),

most difficult to make
- remove wall HP boost if different wall levels are closer than 4-5 titles...
(boost with additional wall HP should be removed from all walls, but only if they are in range longer than 24h or more - to prevent raiders building their own walls before bashing yours).
darnokpl

Postby staxjax » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:57 pm

Nothing will ever prevent wall spammers. If they were expensive walls, they would be spamming those instead.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby darnokpl » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:16 pm

staxjax wrote:Nothing will ever prevent wall spammers. If they were expensive walls, they would be spamming those instead.

Death, cliffs, water, expensive resources required by structure can slow down or stop any wall spammer:)
darnokpl

Postby TotalyMoo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:10 pm

darnokpl wrote:
staxjax wrote:Nothing will ever prevent wall spammers. If they were expensive walls, they would be spamming those instead.

Death, cliffs, water, expensive resources required by structure can slow down or stop any wall spammer:)

People always build walls, always.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby ShadowAtlan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:56 pm

I would really like to see some different kinds of walls. Wall/house like hybrids, perhaps a kind of wall that would be rather tall and imposing, pretty expensive, and be built in 3x1 segments. The main benefit of these walls, aside from making camps look more like Fort Ticonderoga, would be the ability to either enter them like a house (you can walk/run along the 1-tile corridor inside them) or to stand on top of them, perhaps letting players use guns/cannons to fire away at attackers, since really you're standing on top of a wall and not trying to shoot through it.
That's one thing to consider when you're trying to push towards a certain type of play. Don't make the undesirable style less feasible (spamming cheap walls), simply make another one more feasible (Added benefits that are nullified by spamming them). Having 2 layers of walls would be much less useful than standing on top of one, very expensive wall and being able to actively defend. Having 2 layers of that wall, would make its primary benefit null in a believable way, too.
Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science.
ShadowAtlan

Postby darnokpl » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:06 pm

TotalyMoo wrote:
darnokpl wrote:

People always build walls, always.

Yes, but they didn't have to spam cheap walls http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Plan_ ... lik-en.svg
darnokpl

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations