Proper defenses...

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Proper defenses...

Postby darnokpl » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:36 pm

Imho proper defence (hard to destroy) right now is designed for communistic groups, so they can spam basic walls around their small camps.
Salem was designed to give players freedom, so I want to use this "freedom" in more capitalistic way, but to do that I can't have tiny camp, capitalistic towns need space and that space can't be filled with spammed walls in 50%, that would be just stupid.

Imho "proper defence" should be expensive and building it should be time and resource consuming, but that does not equal to spam as many as you can weak and cheap walls like we can see right now.

I am suggesting to boost town claims, so braziers put into personal and town claim would fire on first vandal attempt not second.
That should make town scroll worth of 2500 silver for many people:)
darnokpl

Re: Proper defenses...

Postby Sevenless » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:30 pm

I honestly don't agree with you. The current defence system has *some* merits, but I really don't want to see us stay with this or make it even stronger. It's just too easy to abuse really. There's a very real cap on how defended your base can be statically, and eventually people will be able to take that down. The charcoal in braziers alone for example. Once all your braziers run out, your base is defenceless.

Right now that's not an issue. But what if this game ever got popular? A warparty of 30 could easily drain the braziers dry, and then raid at will. Right now it's all about having enough characters to properly cycle the crime buff. If that's done, anyplace is paper. If you don't have enough, you can't do anything at all.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby naosnule » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:36 pm

darnokpl wrote:Imho proper defence (hard to destroy) right now is designed for communistic groups, so they can spam basic walls around their small camps.
Salem was designed to give players freedom, so I want to use this "freedom" in more capitalistic way, but to do that I can't have tiny camp, capitalistic towns need space and that space can't be filled with spammed walls in 50%, that would be just stupid.

Imho "proper defence" should be expensive and building it should be time and resource consuming, but that does not equal to spam as many as you can weak and cheap walls like we can see right now.

I am suggesting to boost town claims, so braziers put into personal and town claim would fire on first vandal attempt not second.
That should make town scroll worth of 2500 silver for many people:)

The camps of communistic groups don't have to be small. In fact some of the largest towns out there are communistic and no it is not stupid to build many large walls around large camps. :/
naosnule

Postby Sevenless » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:39 pm

Assuming brazier coverage, the larger the camp the better if valuables and leantos are at the center ideally speaking.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:12 pm

Sevenless wrote:But what if this game ever got popular? A warparty of 30 could easily drain the braziers dry,

My hope is that they figure out some way to increase the chances of forcing the two opposing parties into active combat, especially if we start talking warbands of 30-50+. As it is, raiders can come in and wipe out your base in the 6-8 hours a typical group of people will be completely offline.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby darnokpl » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:27 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
Sevenless wrote:But what if this game ever got popular? A warparty of 30 could easily drain the braziers dry,

My hope is that they figure out some way to increase the chances of forcing the two opposing parties into active combat, especially if we start talking warbands of 30-50+. As it is, raiders can come in and wipe out your base in the 6-8 hours a typical group of people will be completely offline.

That is my point... raiding town can be made too fast and I don't like idea to spam many level of the walls to make it 30 minutes longer.
Many walls on claim could have inreased soak value... personal claim +25%, town claim + 50%?
darnokpl

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:33 pm

Could do like in the Stronghold and the old Castles games: Make thicker walls that have more HP.

Just a reminder, though: there was a statement about more walls coming. I seriously doubt that this will be all there is.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby darnokpl » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:37 pm

Sevenless wrote:I honestly don't agree with you. The current defence system has *some* merits, but I really don't want to see us stay with this or make it even stronger. It's just too easy to abuse really. There's a very real cap on how defended your base can be statically, and eventually people will be able to take that down. The charcoal in braziers alone for example. Once all your braziers run out, your base is defenceless.

Right now that's not an issue. But what if this game ever got popular? A warparty of 30 could easily drain the braziers dry, and then raid at will. Right now it's all about having enough characters to properly cycle the crime buff. If that's done, anyplace is paper. If you don't have enough, you can't do anything at all.

I understand that, those who have right now many walls can build town bell and they get real fort in there, but many walls are problematic when you need want to expand:)

Maybe instead of many cheap walls we should be able to build single expensive (iron, brick, lime) wall?:)
darnokpl

Postby Ass_Kraken » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:43 pm

Personally I prefer cheap walls just so there isn't an arbitrary 1 layer wall of brick and done.
Ass_Kraken

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:00 pm

darnokpl wrote:Maybe instead of many cheap walls we should be able to build single expensive (iron, brick, lime) wall?:)

Miss this? Wonder if I could find that on the Paradox forums... seems like it was under one of the dev announcements.

MagicManICT wrote:Just a reminder, though: there was a statement about more walls coming. I seriously doubt that this will be all there is.

edit: found the link: http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/vie ... 28#p344328

jorb wrote:We didn't have walls then. There is one wall type in the game right now and four more in the pipe.
MagicManICT

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations