How would the community like the Devs to handle bug abuse?

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

How would the community like the Devs to handle bug abuse?

Postby Sevenless » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:11 pm

This is an issue that has been poking around for a long time since Salem came out. At least some people feel that the attitude of "If it's reported, it's fair game until it's fixed" view on bugs is inappropriate for a commercial venture.

So, in light of the fact that whatever solution is suggested it must take into account that the devs don't have many resources to allocate to this issue:

What would you like done about the issues of bugs, reporting and abuse?

Note: Personally, I'm pretty neutral on this. I agree that it can be viewed as unprofessional, but as a Haven vet I'm used to this approach and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Mostly I'm providing an appropriate outlet for this discussion rather than having it spill over to multiple topics in other subforums.

~~~

This discussion is to be civil. You can disagree with someone's opinion without making suggestions about their lack of IQ. If anyone starts calling names I will be handing out 1 day bans to everyone who does so.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Re: How would the community like the Devs to handle bug abus

Postby FutureForJames » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:13 pm

Either works for me, as long as the devs are consistent and don't favorise any.
FutureForJames

Postby Ass_Kraken » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:29 pm

I would like there to be no bugs ¦]

Or what james said.
Ass_Kraken

Postby Procne » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:37 pm

It's beta, so bugs will happen. With only 2 devs it's hard to expect that they will perform repairs every time some bug destroys something, and then keep policing people until bug is fixed.

Still, they said they plan no server restarts ever. It would suck if someone, who gained massive dvantage due to bugs in beta, sustained his dominance after game launches.

This comes from a person who doesn't believe that servers without resets will work in Salem.
Procne

Postby Sevenless » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:45 pm

I think the general party line is that truly gamebreaking bugs would cause server resets. But as of yet, we haven't seen anything.

And honestly if someone got 500+ stats or whatever, it'd be much easier just to cap those players down to 200 or something and move on.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Potjeh » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:49 pm

The "go crazy" policy would be fine if critical bugs were addressed as soon as they were reported, but since this is not the case I think there should be punitive measures against bug abusers that cause significant damage.
Potjeh

Postby darnokpl » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:53 pm

Sevenless wrote:This is an issue that has been poking around for a long time since Salem came out. At least some people feel that the attitude of "If it's reported, it's fair game until it's fixed" view on bugs is inappropriate for a commercial venture.

So, in light of the fact that whatever solution is suggested it must take into account that the devs don't have many resources to allocate to this issue:

What would you like done about the issues of bugs, reporting and abuse?

Imho it is inappropriate and abusers should be punished.

I heard that on W1 close beta Jorb removed wall of braziers that was build around someones HV and that is right thing to do.

Punishments should be simple and cruel like:
if someone used bug to destroy your HV faster kill character/characters that was used to bug-bash walls,
if someone takeover town, destroy his claims in that town, let owners come back and kill char that used bug,
if someone is using bugs to protect his HV destroy this bugged protection and kill char that built it.
if someone is using mines for farming or 1x1 fields wipe them all and destroy mine.
if someone is using gluttony bug (like in W1) lower his stats to 5,
etc etc.

That should teach people to do not abuse bugs.

This comes from a person who doesn't believe that servers without resets will work in Salem.

I said some time ago that before open beta and/or 1.0 release Salem requires reset everything (worlds and chars) or it will be fail for newcommers.
Yes I know about real money issues and refunds.
darnokpl

Postby Kaol » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:58 pm

I don't know really, in a perfect world the devs would just ask the playerbase to not abuse bugs and the playerbase would listen. Those few that broke the rules could be swiftly dealt with.
Kaol

Postby JinxDevona » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:30 pm

Personally, I'm more concerned about secret clients some have that are extremely unfair (like tracking not 1x1 crops) than bug abuse. We all abused the tanning bug for as long as it lasted. However, any bug that is game altering (such as the town bells being able to be destroyed on pclaim, but not off...fixed now) should be either fixed immediately or abusers should be dealt with. Although, how, I don't know. Poor devs are only two and as much as some call them Gods, they are just men. They can't please everyone all the time.
Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't. ~Margaret Thatcher
JinxDevona

Postby Dallane » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:54 pm

Potjeh wrote:The "go crazy" policy would be fine if critical bugs were addressed as soon as they were reported, but since this is not the case I think there should be punitive measures against bug abusers that cause significant damage.

This. Bug that have been reported for months go unfixed.

The only way to get a bug fixed is for alot of people to ***** on the forums/moo or "friendship magic" aka i'm more vocal and give feedback not being a total ****.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations