Parry Buff - New Utility to make it worth the risk

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Parry Buff - New Utility to make it worth the risk

Postby Sevenless » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:13 am

Parry is difficult to time and achieves the same effect as simply moving out of the way with the additional cost of yellow bile. Currently there's absolutely no incentive to even try to parry something, when dodging is more cost effective and easier to achieve.

I propose there be an additional level of sword skill (Art of the Blade or whichever name you prefer) that gives parry an additional effect. There are obviously several options, but disarmed (lose use of sword for the next X minutes, or drop the sword on the ground) seems like a reasonable effect to make the risk of parrying worthwhile. Alternatively it could create a stun effect if simply removing access to the damage from thrust doesn't seem to be worth the risk.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Re: Parry Buff - New Utility to make it worth the risk

Postby alloin » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:17 pm

Parry is indeed useless, I can kill deers without problem, although, yesterday i wanted to try this parry skill, and it got me ko'd kinda :p
I'll never use it again !!
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby Droj » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:33 pm

Thrust is almost useless apart from getting the first hit then all you need to use is uppercut
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Postby Sevenless » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:08 pm

Droj wrote:Thrust is almost useless apart from getting the first hit then all you need to use is uppercut

I'm really not talking about hunting animals. Uppercut has slightly less range and is a touch slower than thrust for PvP.

Furthermore: Parry should really only work against other weapons. You can't parry a bear in real life, it doesn't work that way.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Return to Ideas & Innovations