Buff metal chests

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: Buff metal chests

Postby JeffGV » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:48 pm

Yeah, one shouldn't expect them to be resistant. They are just metal, after all. :roll:
JeffGV

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:53 pm

milonti wrote:Cant be lifted while things are in it. Wooden Chests can IIRC

Wooden chests are the ones we had previously that need leather, boards, and nails, right? Those aren't liftable (or at least weren't).
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby staxjax » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:55 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
milonti wrote:Cant be lifted while things are in it. Wooden Chests can IIRC

Wooden chests are the ones we had previously that need leather, boards, and nails, right? Those aren't liftable (or at least weren't).

Wooden chests are now liftable, and metal chests were introduced that are not liftable.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby Sevenless » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:03 am

JeffGV, you don't seem to understand how brazier targeting actually works. Each crime causes a certain amount of "aggression" from the claim. One vandalizing attempt causes ~half the amount of aggression required to get the braziers to fire. So if someone can bash your first wall in one go, the braziers won't do anything while they do so. The SECOND wall is the first defended wall by braziers. Lifting chests also now requires larceny and causes braziers to aggro as well.

I was offered a considerable sum of coin in pre-commercial to kill someone. They showed me the base he was living in and I said "No, three 100+ stat characters can't take that base in anything less than 5 hours IF no one logs on to repair the walls, I'm not interested".

Trust me, it can be done.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby JeffGV » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:39 am

Yeah, that is exactly what i find nonsensical. You've got to have at least two walls if you want to defend yourself. And that won't change even when they put stronger walls.
Man, one strong wall is all you should need, not layers and layers of (maybe weaker) walls*.
(putting aside the static factors involved in braziers and soak values of walls).

*at least until they put proper means to destroy walls, like cannons and such things; not people with swords or bare handed.
JeffGV

Postby staxjax » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:56 am

JeffGV wrote:Yeah, that is exactly what i find nonsensical. You've got to have at least two walls if you want to defend yourself. And that won't change even when they put stronger walls.
Man, one strong wall is all you should need, not layers and layers of (maybe weaker) walls*.
(putting aside the static factors involved in braziers and soak values of walls).

*at least until they put proper means to destroy walls, like cannons and such things; not people with swords or bare handed.

Eventually, you might only need one strong wall. Then there will be the introduction of siege equipment, as no base should ever be completely safe from a dedicated raiding party. Everything you build, craft, collect, or find will never be out of reach for people that are willing to risk everything to destroy you. It is always better to be safe than sorry in a game of politics and war. Being lazy is a weakness in this game, and all the complaining you do about defenses makes you sound rather weak.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby Sevenless » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:11 am

No matter how good the strongest wall is, you will never just need one for a well defended town.

Not unless they massively overhaul how walls are built and there's some sort of wall upgrading mechanism put in place that makes it more beneficial to put all your effort into a single wall instead of layering multiple.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Previous

Return to Ideas & Innovations