Buff urns

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Buff urns

Postby Potjeh » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:43 pm

They take more effort than crates, and yet have fewer slots.

Also, what's up with tall and narrow layout? Since there are no multi-slot items, it doesn't have any real gameplay effect. Just stick to square-ish, it's more user friendly.
Potjeh

Re: Buff urns

Postby jorb » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:10 pm

They require only inexhaustible materials and are easier to bulk produce than wboxes. The layout is the only one that has exactly one slot less than the 15 of the wbox.
jorb

Postby Potjeh » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:23 pm

Presumably wood will eventually be inexhaustible too ;)

And in theory, it's possible to run out of clay.

Anyway, the effort part is that it has burning time, whereas crates can be made virtually instantaneously.

But if you really insist on making them inferior to crates (I guess you have a point with mass production), at least make them 3x4.

Thought what I really expected them to do was act as a smaller version of barrel. It's not like there is much of a niche for small containers, but I think there is one for metal-less liquid storage.
Potjeh

Postby Droj » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:49 pm

Are there going to be bigger types of urns or other storage solutions crafted from clay/brick?
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Postby staxjax » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:55 pm

I like the urns in the garden. Perfect for sprouting garlic, storing seeds and whatnot...and they only take up one tile.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby Droj » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:07 pm

staxjax wrote:I like the urns in the garden. Perfect for sprouting garlic, storing seeds and whatnot...and they only take up one tile.

:mrgreen: Yeh... and they are easy enough to mass produce like loftar said. Its given another use for bricks, the only thing missing now is brick buildings, walls and pavements.
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Postby jorb » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:18 pm

Well, judging from my own farm which is situated a decently fair ways away from the nearest forest, I know that I won't be making many more wooden boxes now that there are urns. That alone makes me think that they don't need to be buffed. :)
jorb

Postby Potjeh » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:58 pm

But the tall inventory is so unergonomic :(
Potjeh

Postby Sevenless » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:01 pm

Urns store more inventory/tile than crates, which is a significant benefit considering they are cheap to produce. If you're looking to store clay or brick enmass, the best cheap solution to do so is kiln and bread oven signposts on a claim.

Presumably we will have a brick wall of some kind in the future. That will make storage even easier.

As for the odd layout: All containers are perfect rectangles. Since urns are meant to be less than crates (since they're more per tile already) the only other option would be 12 slots instead of 14 in a 4x3 layout.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Return to Ideas & Innovations