[Wiki] Wiki Suggestion thread

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

Re: [Wiki] Wiki Suggestion thread

Postby Sevenless » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:19 pm

Ketu wrote:
sabinati wrote:what terms get [the .net]

Too bad you did not get the other top level domains when you got the .info.

Unfortunately a domainer grabbed the .com and is generating income from your traffic that goes there looking for the wiki.

And some guy in the UK has the .org and .net, with hosting accounts set up for the domains but nothing deployed past that.

The more the actual domains you are competing with are posted here in the forums with their full url - the more it helps those specific .coms, .nets and such.

Getting more links from paradox and seatribe domains will help the wiki .info with its results position. Also more links from game and player guild websites will help tons. The more one-way links to the wiki the better.

That might explain what's going on if the google bot couldn't access the closed beta forums. Since the deployment of this website, it seems like the properly used website is getting better google ranks.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby sabinati » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:23 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
sabinati wrote:what search terms did you use? all the wikia stuff i can find is things named salem in other games. the terms salem wiki return salemwiki.info as the 5th result after some wikipedia articles for Salem, Salem, Oregon, Salem (Michigan band), and Salem witch trials.

It was "Salem MMO wiki".

If I do "Salem game wiki," I get the Wikipedia entry, the Paradox Plaza thread discussing the wiki, and then a bunch of salemwiki.info articles and the main page.

I mention this because of another thread that was posted with the poster having some issues finding some relevant game links, so I suggested a few more useful phrases to try. Anyway... haven't looked at any of the other sites to see what all they contain or if they've been stripping information from this one. Sad part is... the wikia.com sites may never get deleted.

Well I put in some stuff about "Salem: The Crafting MMO" in the front page and the thingy that goes at the top of all the pages so that should help.

Ketu wrote:
sabinati wrote:what terms get [the .net]

Too bad you did not get the other top level domains when you got the .info.

Unfortunately a domainer grabbed the .com and is generating income from your traffic that goes there looking for the wiki.

And some guy in the UK has the .org and .net, with hosting accounts set up for the domains but nothing deployed past that.

The more the actual domains you are competing with are posted here in the forums with their full url - the more it helps those specific .coms, .nets and such.

Getting more links from paradox and seatribe domains will help the wiki .info with its results position. Also more links from game and player guild websites will help tons. The more one-way links to the wiki the better.

.com Record created on: 2008-08-20
.net Date Created: 19-May-2011
.org Created On: 19-May-2011
.info Record created on 03-Mar-2012

yes, it's too bad ;)
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby Ketu » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

You may find it useful to:
Set up a Google account for the website.
Add Analytics to the Google account and stick the code on the wiki so you can find out about your traffic.
Add Google Webmaster Tools to control what Google is indexing and to find out why you rank like you do with Google.
Ketu

Postby Bluestone » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:52 pm

Tonkyhonk wrote::D
-info rather than purty pics
(i personally prefer keeping pics as least and/or small as possible unless its a guide page.)

The new skill pages have got rid of the 'enlarged skill icon'. Hopefully that's the sort of thing you mean. It was unnecessary and obsolete. So it was not included in the new design.

Tonkyhonk wrote:-matched table w/ the game screen to avoid confusion

I assume you mean tables like the gluttony values? It was noticed that the table on the wiki was rotated and when milonti tried to fix it the 'Moon' kept reverting it and locked the page. Obviously we can make it better now the 'Moon' is gone. (when we get around to it - so much to fix)

Tonkyhonk wrote:-keep history for the licence thing

You cannot clear the history of a page unless you delete the entire page, and if you delete the entire page then you don't need to worry about copyrights for it. (history might even remain for deleted pages?)

Tonkyhonk wrote:-bold, simple, and talk!

I definitely agree on simplicity. It was what I was aiming for with the new box design, the fanciest it gets is rounded corners. But if I we steered wrong please let us know :)
Don't forget to check out the Salem Wiki for all your salem information needs
Bluestone

Postby Bluestone » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:54 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Color scheme: lets find something that matches the game. I don't like blue on blue. I find it hard to read (and I'm not color blind). I do know a few color blind people that play games, and they find it very frustrating when simple things like this aren't considered on fan and informational sites when they have very few issues playing the game.

Trialing new earthier toned colours. Let us know what you think (everyone).
example: http://salemwiki.info/index.php/Childish_Things
Bluestone

Postby Ketu » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:09 pm

Bluestone wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:Color scheme: lets find something that matches the game. I don't like blue on blue. I find it hard to read (and I'm not color blind). I do know a few color blind people that play games, and they find it very frustrating when simple things like this aren't considered on fan and informational sites when they have very few issues playing the game.

Trialing new earthier toned colours. Let us know what you think (everyone).
example: http://salemwiki.info/index.php/Childish_Things

Feels like H&H and easy to read. +1.
Ketu

Postby Sevenless » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:25 pm

Could you make the grey background behind the words slightly lighter in shade? The blue links are a touch harder to read on a darker background than a white one.

Looks awesome though :)
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Bluestone » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:31 pm

Sevenless wrote:Could you make the grey background behind the words slightly lighter in shade? The blue links are a touch harder to read on a darker background than a white one.

Behind the words? lol.
Behind the headers or behind the information (names/skills required etc)? or both?
Bluestone

Postby sabinati » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:49 pm

Ketu wrote:You may find it useful to:
Set up a Google account for the website.
Add Analytics to the Google account and stick the code on the wiki so you can find out about your traffic.
Add Google Webmaster Tools to control what Google is indexing and to find out why you rank like you do with Google.

Done.

Bluestone wrote:
Sevenless wrote:Could you make the grey background behind the words slightly lighter in shade? The blue links are a touch harder to read on a darker background than a white one.

Behind the words? lol.
Behind the headers or behind the information (names/skills required etc)? or both?

You could make the background behind the headings a bit darker since the text is white. The other, lighter background (with dark text on it) can go lighter though.
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby milonti » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:02 am

Right now my placeholder alchemy table (using trimoons code) is up.

I made a new template for food at http://salemwiki.info/index.php/Template:Food but I cant seem to get some of the formatting right. Also I'm still running of the old color palette. Can someone help me out? All the code works for getting values from properties already.
milonti

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas & Innovations